“Great location, friendly, clean, steal of a deal.”

Backpackers Inn Chinatown
Ranked #141 of 223 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Bali, Indonesia
“Great location, friendly, clean, steal of a deal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

This was my first experience in a hostel and I gotta say, it was great. I had zero expectations, only needing a bed for a night, and was pleasantly surprised that it was comfortable and stress free.

I was tired of lugging around my overnight backpack and stumbled across this hostel, it was what it was. Inexpensive, clean, free wifi, electrical outlets everywhere for secure charging of my phone, small locker, key code for the street level and inside doors (not the room doors, those are open), air conditioning was a bonus and appreciated.

Oh, if there is one thing I can say, the A/C was quite chilly & I hadn't prepared for that, fortunately they provide you with a big, thick, long towel, aside from the blanket. It came in handy.

Overall I'd recommend this spot to anyone.

What's nearby: Tons of food, shopping and historical buildings. Enjoy!

And remember, when you travel, please be considerate & kind to everyone. We are all connected. Peace, Love and Happiness to all beings :)

3 Thank SaraLovesYou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Garden Grove, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

I stayed in a private double bed room for 6 nights. I chose this hotel because it was cheap, and very conveniently located in the middle of Chinatown near the subway. At this price I had very low expectations. But there were a couple concerns: The hostel has a major ant problem. There were trails of ants in my room, the bathrooms and common rooms. They were always crawling on me, and even got into my luggage. The second concern was the major noise issue. There's a loud karaoke bar under the hostel which is always noisy late into the night. There's also a mosque right in front of the hostel. The prayer calls are blasted over loudspeakers which will wake you up at 5:50am every morning. Earplugs are a must! Even then I still never slept well. There was free wifi which was very slow and too weak to reach most rooms.

The room itself was very tiny- literally the size of my bed plus 3 extra feet to walk in and put your luggage down. It was very dumpy which sections of carpet missing, no TV. No real windows- the old windows are permanently shut and sealed off with plexiglass. At least the aircon worked great. Overall if you really need to sleep cheap and are willing to rough it, then I would stay here. Just be sure you know what you're getting into.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank ndkingdom

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

Normal hostel in Chinatown.
Sometimes seems it lacks soul from stuff (in comparison with other hostels).
And it is not smoke-free - it was not so pleasant to go through a narrow corridor of smokers.

It's popular and was fully booked for my 3rd night - that's why I had to move to Beary Good Hostel - the one closer to MRT a business card of which I found in a locker of Backpackers Inn :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

We arrived at 3am hoping to get a room were lucky to get one were greeted by genuine gangsters who exited the bar they were slightly confrontational andcwe felt uncomfortable as One muttered something underbreath and other asked us questions and they shook are hands. We found this hostel in a dangerous area the Room was ok and owner was alright. We are 19 year old blokes an felt uncomfortable wouldn't reccomend to people on there own or any girls

• Stayed December 2010
Brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

We booked this place through hostel-bookers, it cost us $50 singapore / GBP 24. Which frankly was over, over, over priced for the dingy little hole that it was.

The place was cramped full of clutter and was dirty. We booked a double room, the room was tiny and litereally only contained a bed. The sheets were dirty and the room stank of stagnant smoke. The bed was also very uncomfy.

I almost got flattened by the wardrobe too - as it was leaning precariously forward!

We felt very sorry for the people in the "dorms" - the dorm beds were bunk beds crammed in a corridor / tiny long thing room - with no door for noise or privacy! Also the manager (a friendly big guy) slept there too and was the worlds loudest snorer - we again felt very sorry for the people in the "dorm" - at least we could shut a bit of the noise out in our cubicle of a double!

Nothing good to say about the rooms, the only positives were the free internet and the friendly manager - All in all one to STEER CLEAR of.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple