“Good spot but cramped”

Backpackers Inn Chinatown
Ranked #133 of 244 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This place is in a really good location with the metro close by and lots of shopping and food possibilities within easy walking distance. The only real downer was that it was very cramped in the rooms, especially with 3 people. For a backpackers place it was clean, staff were helpful and the reported noise was tolerable. Singapore is not cheap so this is viable option if you just want a bed.

Room Tip: Triple rooms aren't really triple rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2013

i stayed for two night in here. not so difficult to find this hotel cause located near the only one mosque in china town. the bed and pillow was clean, i got towel who the other hostel didnt offer it. helpful staff, i had ask for bed in down side and they give it. unfortunately i didnt like how they separate the room covered only with fabric who make noise when someone walk in front of my room. over all i will try to find another hostel when i travel to singapore again,

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lashuardi
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The staffs don't seems to be friendly at all upon arrival. There are bunk beds along all the corridors which causes uncomfortable feeling and inconvenient to walk around the place. The sound proof is really bad, as the room is not fully partitioned up to the ceiling, the lights are not working throughout the two days of my stay. Not able to even talk in the room, no privacy at all. The wifi connection is not stable. Even staff working there did not bother to flush the toilet after using it. However, the cleanliness is acceptable and the location is great. Also, there are plenty of power socket available. In short, I will not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are some beds without curtains where people can see you.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lillian T
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The location of this hostel is fantastic - in the heart of Chinatown and super close to everything. MRT (Chinatown) just a few minutes walk away. Buses at the end of the street, very easy also to get taxis from here.

I had a private double bed room which was very small but cosy and comfortable. It had multiple power sockets which was just awesome! the room also had very good aircon which I appreciated greatly. This building is a converted shophouse, so there are no elevators and you will have to carry your bags upstairs, however this was no problem for me. The bed was pretty comfortable, however I personally found the pillows to be far too soft. The lockers in the rooms are great and there is a large size wardrobe in the room as well. It was wonderful to be able to use a very quick and efficient washing machine for free having been on the road for two weeks.

The bathrooms are okay, yes as some others have pointed out it is a little annoying to have water on the toilet seat but hey, whatever....you get over it! The showers are good and you get a good nights sleep and a nice shower - heck, it's Singapore man, you should be out exploring the city!

Internet wise, sometimes I could connect to the wifi and sometimes I couldn't but there are computers on each floor that you can use with nice fast Internet so no drama.

The staff were super accommodating, super friendly and helpful and were absolutely fantastic. I was very well looked after and the guys went out of their way to help me which I really appreciated.
On service alone they get 5 stars! I'd come back anytime to this hostel just because they were so damn nice and helpful!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed there in July 2013 with my friends. My room was the 4-people mixed dorm. Overall, the room was nice. The bed an sheet were clean. They also provide blankets and towels in room. Electricity plugs and reading lights are available beside each bed. I was lucky to have a private air con in my room so we can set the temperature on our preference while my friends on the other rooms needed to share and felt cold every night.

The internet connection was excellent but there was only one computer for the 1st floor guest.
They have heater in bathrooms, but the cleanliness is poor. we needed to clean it up before we use it. The best thing about Backpackers Inn is the location. It is located only 5-minute walk from Chinatown MRT station.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Spent there 4 nights in the end of May 2013. Rooms are clean, but our's did not come with a window - we did not bother though, we are used to it in Asia. There is fast free Wifi and a computer and kitchen facilities and laundry for free use! Location is very central with lots of shops and eateries close by. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniela P
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I chose to pre book here as I heard beds full up fast in Singapore. Looked it up online everything looked ok, free laundry and powder was something other places didn't seem to offer so I went for it. Was extremely disappointed when I arrived, I had paid a couple extra dollars for a bed in a 6 bed mixed dorm thinking if there's 6 beds less noise etc, the 6 bed dorm was actually just 6 beds curtained off from the rest. Further more my top bunk was right beside the kitchen and laundry area and the curtain didn't go across all the way, so there was always light coming through to my bed and noise from the washer and dryer. I ended up using it as a motivation to get the most out of my day so i only had to be there to shower, sleep and make use of the free wifi. Also during the 7 nights I stayed I only met one person to have a quick chat too, the main clientele seems to be middle aged Asians either alone or with their families. Also the bathrooms weren't the best, they had both shower and toilet in the one room and often other guests didn't think to put down the lid when showering so you have to wipe down the toilet pretty much every time you use it. The staff were helpful but most never went out of their way or were overly nice... Overall it's not the worst place to stay but for the same price or a couple dollars more you can do ALOT better in the same area.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a smaller no. Of beds dorm if you are a solo traveler.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo