I stayed at the Orchid Country Club for 6+ weeks whilst working in Singapore and overall had a good stay. I was working in Sembawang which is about 15 minutes from the OCC.
The hotel appears to have very few tourists, but a lot of Singaporean Citizens/Residents using the beautiful function rooms and then staying overnight. Also we encountered several other guests who were using the hotel as a base whilst working in Singapore (including some at Seletar Airport which is a few minutes away).
The facilities are superb with an on-site supermarket, Subway, Bar, Japanese and Chinese Restaurants, Olympic Pool + Kids Pools, Gym, Golf Course and Driving Range.
However, I will start with the negative issues I experienced;
1) The laundry was horrendously expensive, I had one small bag of laundry cost over SG$200+. For this price you would expect superb service, but sadly several of my shirts had the colours run and I finished up with my white collars turned pink. They did try to resolve this, but without success. They didn’t even offer to refund the cost of the laundry in this event.
2) The noise! The rooms can be pretty noisy, it seems that the door to the room lets in a lot of noise, and the balcony door also the same. So if you are overlooking the bunker pool, expect noise from people sitting on the patio until late. The sounds in the corridors seem to echo through into the rooms quite loudly, and on numerous occasions I was woken up at 1am etc by the noise. I think the rooms further away from reception are probably quieter. If you are a light sleeper, you would be pretty unhappy.
3) The internet is incredibly slow in the hotel, the signal can be poor in the rooms. You also have to use a paid card (ours was included in our room rate) which expires every 7 days. This isn’t what you expect in a hotel in a modern city like Singapore.
4) At weekends and public holidays it can be quite difficult to get a taxi in the hotels, there were occasions where you would wait 30-45 minutes for a taxi whilst the hotel rang around. Often better to let them know in advance to give them time to try and sort it out.
5) The shuttle bus which is provided between the hotel and the MRT can also be very busy at weekends, expect to queue and have to wait for the next bus (another 20+ minutes) on occasions. But, it’s still a pretty good service to have considering its complimentary.
6) Chinese New Year closure. The hotel pretty much ground to a halt for several days over Chinese New Year, no laundry for around a week and pretty difficult to get meals. In a 4 star hotel in a city like Singapore, I would have expected at least room service to have been available through this period.
7) Breakfast is only officially available from 07:30 (although the staff would often kindly provide from 07:00)
I know this might seem a lot, but I put that down to us staying for so long at this place that we picked up on more issues. They are not really critical issues to be honest.
Now for the positives;
1) The rooms are great; the basic rooms are large and have a queen size bed and a large single bed. Then there is the beautiful balcony overlooking the golf course with running water underneath. Buy a bottle of a wine from the in the house supermarket and relax watching the sunset, perfect.
2) The staff are excellent in the hotel, all very friendly and helpful. The gym staff such as Ariyus and the Par Lounge staff including Cai Nan, Wan Gang and Iko were all exceptionally pleasant.
3) The Par Lounge is a great little bar, very reasonable prices and a good mixed menu of snacks/small meals (although after 6 weeks having tried everything several times, I would be quite happy not to see the menu again). On Thursdays and Fridays they have a live band (Duo Connection) which adds to the atmosphere.
4) The driving range is fantastic; you just go across and purchase a range card very cheaply and can use the range until 10pm+. I had some beginners lessons with the golf pro ‘Phil Brew’ who was excellent, he has a great teaching style and is very approachable and friendly. Prices were also very reasonable.
5) Excellent choice of restaurants on site including Chinese and Japanese.
6) Superb gym, large and with excellent choice of equipment and always manned.
Overall I would say I had a great stay at this hotel and would stay there again. It is quite out of the way, it takes about 45-60 minutes into the city if you used the shuttle bus/MRT and a taxi to the city or change airport will take 30+ minutes. Being out of the main city was a plus for me, particularly having the fresh open air of the golf course and a spacious resort with excellent fitness/recreational facilities available. I would actually consider this hotel as a base if visiting Singapore with my family, as it is nice to escape the hustle and bustle in the evenings.
The hotel also has a great kids pool, probably far better than any of the city hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A scenic sanctuary facing the panoramic Aranda Course and Seletar Reservoir, the 75-room Orchid Lodge is Orchid Country Club’s very own resort hotel. Elegant interiors, modern design, and comfortable amenities all cater to a much needed getaway for guests in need of total relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Orchid Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orchid Country Club Hotel Singapore
- Orchid Country Club Singapore