“Just nice for short stay”

Fragrance Hotel - Royal
Ranked #208 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Just nice for short stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is a hotel with a very small room, yet, cozy. It's a just-nice room for short stay. Suggest to spend a few extra bucks to opt for Deluxe Room, that is with window. Forget about good view, just for the sake of seeing sun light in the morning.

It's quite near MRT as well: Teluk Blangah station; just about 5 to 7 minutes walk from the hotel.

Just one thing that bugged me during my recent checked in: there were tiny bugs or insects around the water hole, which were rather annoying to me.

Other than that, everything is fine, considering the price we paid to spend few nights in Singapore.

Room Tip: Do opt for Deluxe Room, that is with window.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Yang2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

Instead of taking a bus, or walk to Vivo City / Harbourfront under the scorching hot sun, why not just take the MRT that is only a stone throw away. Telok Blangah Station to Harbourfront is only SGD$1.30 per trip.

Love the location around here, next door there is a super packed Laksa Steamboat restaurant that seems to look very good. There is a busy food court opposite the Harbourfront with good food choices as well.

Internet is not free, SGD$10/day, I'd say just get a Singtel Simcard at the 7-elevent downstairs for SGD$10.

Room Tip: No fitness center nor swimming pool. Just your average Budget City Hotel. Internet is not free, SGD...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank danachow
KL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed there for 2 weeks. The receptionist are very pleasant especially the ones from Philippines. All are very helpful though and would not hesitate to answer or offer suggestion to your needs. The room is small and it is no bigger to the boutique hotel that I stay the last time I was in Singapore. So nothing to compare except that this time I have the room with the window compare to the windowless one of the boutique hotel which is so cramped. Between the two I would choose this hotel. The location of this hotel is idea as it is walking distance to the harbourfront and vivo city. Plenty of food to be found at these places. Behind the hotel is also a hiking trail to the wooden pedestrian bridge which is just less than 30minutes leisurely walk.
Idea for one person or for a couple to stay. With twin beds it seem to takes up less space and have a space to walk in-between the beds. Easy to get a cab and a bus. Walking distance to the nearest Teluk Blangah MRT station. Shell station which is a stone throw away is convenient to get your necessities like food and drinks and one can also get the local sim card.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Juba, South Sudan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

We looked for some hotel which is located near many of the sight seeing attractions in Singapore and this hotel fit our bill.
Though we expected a little bigger room, what we got was good enough for sleeping through the night only.
Once you keep your bags/luggage the room became full and there was no space for movement. The shower in the bathroom was just a fitting on the wall and fought for space with the wash basin and commode!!
But overall it is fair enough giving the cost of other hotels in Singapore.

Room Tip: Choose superior rooms. they are bigger than the others.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Kladno
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed two bus stops nearby Vivo City, at Fragrance Hotel Royal. I cannot remember the price, but it was rather, in the Singapore ratios, cheaper accommodation. It was great that we had a window in the room, it was because we chose a Superior room, which was about 5% more expensive. Surprisingly, having window in the room is not sure thing there, the rooms are tiny and most of them do not have windows. It's only a bed, around less than half a meter, cabinet, kettle and toilet along with shower ... man standing in the shower almost straddled above the dish: D.
Simply place is expensive and depending on the rooms look. On the other hand, I must say that the room was cosy, clean and air conditioned. The staff was nice and helpful.
    As I said, the hotel is two stops from Vivo City, which is about 700 m. Buses go there very often.

Room Tip: Chose Superior room with window :)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Paralimni, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

This was my...(I lost count) times I went to Singapore. And everytime I went there I tried new hotels with their advantages.

Take a very big note of this hotel!
I gave 6 stars point to this hotel if you plan to travel by bus everywhere and plan to spend most of your holiday around Sentosa Island surroundings.
Otherwise you will find that this hotel is not ideal for any holidays.

This hotel was very convenient, super convenient since the location was very strategic to the bus stop, that practically would bring you around the city. And across the street there was another bus stop that would bring back from any location you went before.
MRT seems nice, but oh my gosh..the walking to the location is quite tiring, not as easy as we imagine. We need to walk to get in and walk to get out. And it's as near at all. It's quite wasting time and energy, especially if you have your children with you.

Sentosa and its surroundings was located very near to this hotel. This time I spent 3 days of my 4 days holiday in Sentosa. So very close.If I needed to spend time until quite late, going home was not a torturing time. Walk a little bit, took a bus, walked back to the hotel just a little bit.

Let's talk about the hotel itself besides the location.
The staff were really really unfriendly. They would talk as needed, minimum.
They were very unhelpful, so prepare to help yourself, do not expect them to help you in anything.
The most obvious unprofessional manner of the staffs (with S - almost all of the receptionists)
, they could help to smoke during the working time in front of the lobby area. Imagine that!!
Working hour, in front of the guests, in the public area in front of the hotel.
They would got out from the reception counter, and open the lobby main door, and smoked!!

They were also very not efficient. Either the policy of the hotel and the attitude of the staff itself.
I booked the hotel under my name. But they asked me to show all the passport of my family member including my 5 and 6 years old children. If you think it was normal and standard,
they also asked my 5 and 6 years old children to sign the Registration Form !!! They even still didn't have their signatures!!! Gooshhh.....

The room was pretty small.It was imaginable considering it was a budget hotel. But It was too tiny for the budget hotel with the rate. So I think it was over rated.

The bathroom was so tiny, so everytime we took a shower, we have to move everything out the bathroom first, otherwise everything would be wet soaked.
The bathroom fixtures were clean and new. The amenities were good for the budget rooms.
But the one that disturbed me was the hot water supply. The hot water was only hot for the first 8 minutes. So if you have 3 people with you, you would better hurry up, so everybody would their share of hot water shower.

The TV Channel as the standard of the budget hotel was unwatchable. Non entertainment channels only. Only 5 or 6 local channels that were not interesting for the tourists.

The Air con was working well , not a problem at all. But...even though the a/c was working well we were still sweating while sleeping, especially our lower body.Why was that??
The answer was, since they didn't want to risk the bed got stained by any kind of stains, they cover the bed with the plastic/ artificial leather, that was unbreathable material that would turn very very hot to our body. This kind of material must have been used in the brothel room, so it would easy for the management to keep the bed clean.

The internet would be chargeable. There is a PC in the lobby, that usually people could use it for free. Unfortunately it was not. Chargeable.

There was a 7-11 store next to the hotel. But unfortunately it was very poor in stuffs. Since I imagine I could have breakfast there with variety of choices, but it was not.

This was not my ideal hotel for traveling comfortably, and overrated.But I was grateful for the location. The weaknesses of the hotel were quite compensated by the location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Harry2030101
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Royal, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
I am pleased that you found our hotel location superb. Our hotel is just 2 bus stops (About 500m) away from HarbourFront MRT Station and from the station, you can easily take the underground walkway to get to VivoCity (Level 3 - Lobby L), where you can board the Sentosa Express to reach Resorts World Sentosa. It is quite an easy, non-tiring route once you are familiar with the directions. Regarding the conduct of our staff, they had already been briefed that they should always carry themselves professionally in front of our guests. Our Front Desk Staff are also being trained in the handling of the guest registration process and will advise the parent to sign on behalf of the children. The lack of hot water in the room could be a technical fault and we had taken note of this feedback and will rectify it. Thank you for your review.
Alesund, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

There are both positive and negative sides to this hotel, as to many others. I was, however, positively surprised after having read many negative comments in here.

The staff is super friendly, and even though we were not able to check in when we arrived (understandably, it was 7.30 AM) we could leave our luggage there and go explore Singapore for a couple of hours. We we given our room at 1 PM.
Our room was quite small (not much room for our luggage, as the bed took up nearly all the floor space - and the shower was above the toilet, so the whole bathroom was soaked when I'd taken a shower), and the bed was terrible. It was small and hard, and not at all comfortable.

Our window was facing the "highway" outside, but we weren't bothered by traffic noise at all. Instead, the noise from other people opening and closing the doors to their rooms in the middle of the night woke me up a couple of times, so a good tip is to bring ear plugs.

Even though the room was small, floor planning was good. It also looked newly renovated and clean. I don't think I would have stayed there for more than one night though.

We were very surprised by the fact that WiFi was not included. We had to pay 10 SGD for 10 hours, with one logon only. Wifi is actually something I expect to be free and available in such places as Singapore these days, and the fact that I had to pay so much for such a poor service, really annoyed me.

The hotel is far from the city centre, and quite far from the nearest MRT station (Harbour Front - about 10 min by foot). There's a 24h 7Eleven right next to the hotel, and the Vivocity shopping centre, including the Sentosa Monorail, is really close.

I don't think I'd choose to stay in this hotel again (or any Fragrance Hotel, if the internet and bed situation is the same in all their hotels). I guess I'd rather spend some more money and be closer to the city centre and have WiFi included.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple