“Good price good location but....”
Review of Hotel Conforto

Hotel Conforto
Ranked #112 of 235 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Price: i got a single bed room with a very good price. Even though it's twice the price of another hostel but so worth it.

Location: it is very near to the Clarke Quay MRT, The Central and the Clarke riverside. 5 mins walk. It is only a walking distance to bugis, nigthlife, chinatown. Very convinient.

Room: the room is small but it is enough for one person staying there. Very comfortable. Nice aircon. No smell.

Bathroom: the water pressure was so low. The water was so small. I have a long hair so it would take me forever to wash my hair. I thought the water pressure so low because i was in 4th floor. I tried the second floor, it was the same. no hot water.

If im travelling solo on a budget again, i will defiNitely come here again (IF THEY FIX THE WATER PRESSURE AND THE HEATER).

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Kevin B, Manager at Hotel Conforto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear coolchiki,

Thank you for writing a review for us at Le Hotel Carpenter Street. Yes indeed the single room with a shared bathroom you booked cost about double the price of a single bed in a hostel dorm room, but the privacy in this private single room shared with no one else is what sets us apart from hostels. But I would highly recommend that you try our superior category rooms in your next stay with us because its about 4 times larger at only a little over $100 SGD. Well worth it if you are travelling with 2 or more in a group.

I sincerely apologize for the low water pressure as this building's old piping system. We have plans in the upcoming months to upgrade this system that will boost the water pressure.

We look forward to your next stay with us at Le Hotel Carpenter Street.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked the superior double room. Even with all our luggage inside, it was spacious and comfortable.

The worst part of the stay was we kept finding our room door open when we would return at the end of the day. This probably happened because housekeeping. Nothing was stolen, it was just a little unnerving because it happened twice during our five day stay. But the staff was really friendly and they seemed sincere when they said that they would talk to their staff about it. Again, nothing was stolen. Our room was just accidentally left open twice.

There were some issues with the water seeping out of the shower area. But they furnished us with new towels upon our request. No toiletries though!

The bed was comfortable enough, but we had to pay for extra pillows.

My favorite thing about the hotel is the location. It was very convenient! We could walk to Clarke Quay and the bus and MRT stations. There were a bunch of restaurants and convenience stores within walking distance. This was a huge relief for us because during our first visit to SG, we stayed at a hotel that felt like it was in the middle of nowhere.

Room Tip: Make sure your hotel is near public transportation hubs!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charisse T
Kevin B, Manager at Hotel Conforto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Charisse,

Thank you for your kind review on Le Hotel Carpenter Street. Thank you for your feedback on the door left open and the shower leak. We have spoken to our housekeeping staff on this and have taken extra effort to make sure room doors are closed after the room has been cleaned. We will also look into getting better shower parts that do not leak easily. I sincerely apologize for the unnerving experience regarding the door and discomfort regarding the leaky shower, feel free to contact me directly in your future booking with us and I will definitely make your next stay much more comfortable as your comfort matters to us at Le Hotel Carpenter Street.

Email: Kevin@Lehotel.com.sg
HP: +65 9668 4770

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Despite some of the poor reviews, thanks God I had a decent experience. This is a 2 star hotel so don't expect too much but we got it at a good deal & can't complain if you're just staying couple of nights.

The hotel is less than 5 minutes' walk to Clarke Quay MRT station exit & The Central shopping center along with popular hawker stands so it's well situated. When you ascend the final escalator from the MRT station, turn left towards the main street (if you turn right, then you'll be entering The Central mall; after that, cross the streets (Eu Tong Sen St. / New Bridge Rd.), turn right after reaching the other side, walk a few meters & you'll see Carpenter Street. Make a left & walk a few meters & the hotel will be on your left.

My room was on the 3rd floor & didn't have an in-room toilet (as expected based on the pictures); although the hallway carpet looked dirty, my room (bed, towel) & toilet were clean so there was no fuss; however, since the restroom only had 1 stall sharing shower & toilet, "high season" may mean queues for use.

I didn't turn on the TV or try the free wi-fi in my room but the internet speed using the hotel's PC (near the receptionist) was adequate & the receptionists were friendly. I also had a good night's rest & the room's size sufficient so really can't complain (even though the bed was low). For the same price, you'd get a better hotel in another city or country but this is Singapore & hotel prices have gone up quite a bit in recent years.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Gachen,

Thank you for staying at Le Hotel Carpenter Street. I sincerely apologize that our carpet condition was not in a better condition but we do wash our corridor carpets on a regular basis.

I would recommend that if you would stay with us again that you try out our Superior double rooms which is about a few times larger than the single room you were in and with an ensuite bathroom. Feel free to call (+65 6534 4859) or email us directly (reservations@lehotel.com.sg) for an excellent price for that room category.

Cheers,

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This place is small and full of ants which they did not care about.
I told them to sort it out but they just ignored me.
They didnt even make the room. The cleaner came about 11am and knocked. as i was not ready i told him to pass and come back. so i got up and washed to go out.
But the cleaner never came back to clean the room or change the towels. Such a bad service.

I was suprised that even on the 4th floor it was noisy from the main road.
Also i was shocked with so many ants on a high floor. i had a drink after washing the dirty cuts and spoon and put the cup down to shower. when i came back the cup was full of ant like someone threw a handfull in the cup while i was away. ants everywhere and on every table.
I am not suprised as the room service is never done.

good news is they do laundry by the bag $10. and the receptionist did talk nicely to me and it has a lift.
Bad news is the man was rude and didnt care.
My washing was finished and the guy just rammed it all in to a bag i provided rather than folding it neatly. But on the other hand his service was not as bad as those stuff you see in other hotels who look down on you if you are not dressed in gold and diamonds.

There are steps outside the hotel so you will need to carry your stuff. and you need to walk to either the left or right to get a taxi and this road is quiet.
I was lucky to wait outside for 5 mins before a taxi came down and lucky it was not raining.
Day before it rained and there was not a green light in sight.

Good point is you will get a little wet in the rain but there is cover most of the way to the station via the foot bridge.

Clark and Boat Quay are so close but there are always those crazy drunk non singaporeans there up to no good.

Room Tip: check room before you pay and bring your own ant killer spray lol
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Kevin B, Manager at Hotel Conforto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Chi,

Thank you for writing this review and staying at Le Hotel Carpenter Street. I sincerely apologize for the discomfort you experienced throughout your stay in regards to the ants and with the housekeeping staff. I will make sure to provide more training to that particular staff.

We do monthly pest control servicing at the hotel in every room but unfortunately there are times when ants are attracted to a recently spilt drink or food in the room, may be as small as a crumb. I will make sure the housekeeping does a better job in cleaning the room thoroughly so that this ant problem does not occur.

Please allow me to personally handle your reservation in your next visit. You can email me at Kevin@lehotel.com.sg or call me at +65 9668 4770 if you wish to make a reservation.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

The hotel localization is excellent, I can’t deny it. It’s in a really good area, really close to Clarke Quay and Chinatown, close to the subway station as well. Yes, this is the only good thing about this place. Yes, even if it were in the best place of earth and for free, I wouldn't stay there again.

First problem: I had made my reservation for this hotel 6 (six) months in advance, with a note that we were 2 male friends travelling so we wanted 2 single beds. When I arrived, no rooms with 2 single beds were available. Anyway, that was “ok”; those things happen sometimes.

The room was incredibly small. With the bed, bags and 2 people inside, a fly couldn't join us in the room. OK, it was cheap, that was my thought.

Room amenities: TV with no channels working, desk with lamp from a country different from Singapore (socket didn't fit so we had to use our adapters), small closet. Some hangers available. AC. Internet: Free!! It might work in the rooms, if it doesn't, in the hall outside you might find a stronger wi-fi.

Bathroom (see pics): Shower with no stall and no warm water (although there was a decorative thermostat). Flooded bathroom after every shower. Water pressure of the shower and of the tap was more or less the same (really weak). At least Singapore is warm enough to make a cold “shower” acceptable.

If you stay in the room with final “1”, buy ear-plugs. Elevator makes a stunning noise every time it works (and once it runs from the ground floor to the 4th in some long minutes, it bothers you for a long time).

Employees (receptionists): I just realized they existed when the girl from reception kept on calling me in the room from 10 in 10 minutes when I was relaxing (not a joke) “at the management request” to make me go down to the lobby to pay the bill in advance (once I checked in during the night) – After staying there I noticed why they wanted me to pay in advance… I wouldn't be able to run away from there without paying – I must confess I was close to do that even after paying.

Still about receptionists: Poor English, poor education, poor training. They don’t say a simple and polite “hello” when you come in or “goodbye” when leaving. They don’t even look at you or check if you are a guest or not. I just can say the hotel is safe because Singapore is safe, and not because their safety precautions, that don’t exist… anyone can come in. I’m telling about the times there was someone in the lobby… sometimes there was nobody there (see pics, and pay attention that someone had left a bag in the reception probably due to early check in or late check out with nobody taking care of it).

The emergency exit (that I had to use with all my luggage when leaving the hotel because the elevator stopped working) faces the street, and that door was never locked. Anyone could easily use it to reach the rooms (well, it’d be unnecessary once receptionists don’t pay any attention in any way – it’d be easier to possible muggers to use the elevator).

During the night, the receptionists lay down in the lobby sofa to take a nap or play in their mobile phones.

I don’t usually write bad reviews here, If I do, it’s because I feel in obligation to warn people about serious problems, and it applies to this hotel.

My suggestion: Stay in a Hostel. It’s gonna be about the same price, and surely with much better conditions and even comfort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank LePires
Kevin B, Manager at Hotel Conforto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear LePires,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the discomfort you experienced with the short stay with us.

I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request on the 2 single beds as there were quite a few guests during that period that had also requested the twin rooms. And since it was subject to availability, we had to accommodate the other guests who checked in earlier.

I highly suggest that for your future booking in any hotel, instead of booking through an online agent, you should book directly with the hotel and specify that you will only book a room with 2 single beds or not book at all. That will guarantee you a room to your requirements.

We are in the midst of adding in more television channels as we take note that there is a need for more channels to improve the comfort level of our guests.

We have just checked all our rooms and the water heater is working perfectly, but we do have situations where the guest did not switch on the water heater switch next to the bathroom light. As for the water pressure, I agree that it is not very strong due to our old piping system as this building is over 50 years old. We are currently looking into upgrading the piping system over the next 2 years.

In regards to the elevator, we are also looking into reducing the sound when it operates. And I can understand your frustration as the standard room that you stayed in was just next to the elevator. The Superior rooms that we have are much further from the elevator.

And finally in regards to the receptionist that provided poor service. We have reprimanded the staff in question and further training was provided. As the hotel operates with only one staff on shift, there will be times when they have to leave the reception area for awhile. But rest assured that we have security cameras being monitored on the back end so luggages placed at the reception area are relatively secure.

I sincerely hope that you give us another chance and I will personally handle your reservation if you choose to stay with us again. Feel free to email me at Kevin@Lehotel.com.sg if you wish to make a booking and I will definitely make it worth your while.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed during 2012 Formula One Grand Prix. Twin room with window & shower was small but comfortable enough. Tiny room for two girls with huge suitcases but somehow we managed to survived. Hot water was good in the shower and air-con worked a treat, couldn't survive without it in Singapore. The rooms were cleaned every day. It's in a good neighbourhood between Clarke Quay and it's expensive restaurant and Chinatown. Just down the road from Clarke Quay train station at the mall. Wifi was hit & miss at times.

• Stayed: September 2012
Management response:Responded 29 August 2013

Hello Dee,

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thought it was fuss free. With regards to the wifi, we are actually in the midst of upgrading our wifi routers and servers, hopefully the next time when you're back, we're all set to impress you! Thank you once again Dee, and we look forward to welcoming you for your next visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. I called it the mouse hole. It had everything there that you could want or need and it was impeccably clean and modern. This is not a place to holiday with your lover or family as hotel room did not even have a window, it is for those who want to stopover or spend all their time out and just come back to sleep.
The staff were polite and helpful and it was comfortable.
The location was amazing as you were right in the hub of it, I would recommend it for solo travellers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank marianne b
xPixie, Sales at Hotel Conforto, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Hello Marieann,

Thank you for your very kind review. We truly appreciate it. We hope to see you back with us the next time you return to Singapore, cheers!