“Romantic (even sexy) and well located small hotel”

klapsons, The Boutique Hotel
Ranked #186 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
El Segundo, California
“Romantic (even sexy) and well located small hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I was previously staying at the Mandarin Orchard Rd and wanted to change both location and ambiance on a business trip that was extended from 4 to 7 days. And a fine choice it was. While this hotel - or at least my suite room - seemed to be more geared to couples (the outdoor Jacuzzi and candles, the room's various mood lighting choices, the "shower chair," etc), the hotel worked fine for me for business. The location is an easy walk to Neils Road, is not far from the Central Business District, and taxis were not difficult to find. Just carry a hotel business card when going out as not one taxi knew the hotel. The front desk folks were very helpful, and there was never a wait. The rooftop bar has a hip vibe to it from the moment you enter the industrial/service graffiti filled elevator. My only regret was that my wife was not there with me as she would have loved the outdoor Jacuzzi. Negatives? Bathroom area could use better lighting. Overall, a very nice place.
Bed - comfy 5 of 5
Cleanliness 5 of 5
Service 5 of 5
Value 4 of 5
Room View - natural light, big windows - 5 of 5
Uniqueness 5 of 5

Room Tip: suite was on the $$$ side, but worth it for a couple
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank WhiskyDoc
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you very much for the positive comments. All of us at klapsons are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have noted your feedback on having better lighting in the bathroom & will improve further to make your stay an even more memorable one. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed for 10 nights at Klapsons. It is very convenient and nice place. 2 MRT stations just near of the hotel and it is very convenient. Breakfast is good too. Choice of fruits, different kind of eggs and muesli make it OK. The design of front office and the lobby of the hotel looks amazing. I can recommend this hotel for business purposes and just to have a good hotel's experience with design flavour.

Room Tip: MRT just 5 minutes walk.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IgorUBelousov
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Thank you very much for the positive comments. All of us at klapsons are extremely happy we made your stay a memorable one. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kuwait
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I absolutely loved staying at Klapsons. Small hotel but excellent service from friendly staff. I had a problem in my first room with a leaking faucet that covered the bathroom floor in water, reported it to the front desk and was immediately upgraded to a bigger room.
The small breakfast buffet had the usual fruit, yogurt, cereal and bacon, sausage and egg. The secret to the buffet was the attention to detail. No dry eggs and rock hard curls of bacon to found, Every time a guest walked in for breakfast their eggs were prepared the way they required it. The rest of the menu was good too. The only complaint I had was the 24 hour room service menu that had nothing I wanted every time I ordered from it. The staff however would send up cake for the lack of sandwiches or fresh fruit when I wanted cake and did not charge me for it.
I would definitely Singapore again and stay at Klapsons.

Room Tip: Get a room with a window.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you very much for the positive comments. All of us at klapsons are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have noted your feedback on the 24 hour menu & will further improve our food choices to meet your expectation. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 February 2013

On this trip I spent one night at Klapsons on my way to Thailand and I had 2 nights there on the way back from Thailand. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Klapsons the front office staff are amazing helpful,polite,cheerful and very efficient. I enjoyed the room and the shower which reminded me a bit of a car wash or in my case a bus wash. The rooms whilst maybe a little too small were well appointed and quiet which ensured a good nights sleep. Breakfast was great and well worth getting up to go and eat in the coffee shop. Overall a fun place to stay in a very convenient location where I will no doubt stay again on my next trip to Singapore.

Room Tip: I would suggest the corner suites as they are larger and quite sunny.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you very much for your compliments. I have shared your kind words with our front desk team and they are extremely happy they made your stay a memorable one. Once again, thank you for choosing klapsons & we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I was on biz trip and stayed at Klapsons for 1 night. The lobby is nice, very much the designer hotel. I got the room where the shower is not inside the washroom but is in the middle of the room, unenclosed, next to the bed. The steam stayed on the surfaces - mirror, cabinets - long after I showered. But the experience is ok.

The complimentary wifi was hopeless... You might be able to connect to whatsapp for 10 seconds on and off if you are standing close enough to the door, and ironically the best place to receive wifi and where u can sit is the washroom. Absolutely unacceptable.

And I found later that even my mobile was not able to receive any signal when I sit on the bed, which is ridiculous. The A/C air grille was filled with dust and definitely needs cleaning.

Breakfast at Rhino was simple with not much choices. Overall not a hotel that I would visit again.

• Stayed February 2013
klapsons_Gilbert, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Your comment is valuable to us & we thank you for your kind feedback. We will work harder to meet your expectations in the future. I have also passed your feedback to the team. Once again, thank you for staying with us.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We were very excited to check-in at Klapsons, that was for us the perfect place for a great Valentine's Day celebration. We booked the Oasis Suite and were eager to enjoy the room with its big terrace and jacuzzi - i selected carefully this room because it was also the only solution for me to enjoy a bath with an injured leg, in a spacious jacuzzi. We had opportunities to visit Klapsons hall and building before and the edgy design was attractive. We were expecting a fantastic stay, but our disappointment was great...

When we checked in our room, we discovered that the terrace was completely flooded (the terrace's roof is not protected against the rain), the jacuzzi was dirty and, worse, the indoor part of the room was also partly flooded, terribly musty and mouldy. The carpet was very humid and smelly. Mould and bad smell everywhere, especially with the furniture near the window, like the couch. Some lamps were not working. The staff member who checked us in nonchalantly ignored those facts and our reaction and left us with our jaws dropped.

What surprised and actually angered us was the very nonchalant and unapologetic attitude of the staff, astonishing and frankly unacceptable in such a luxurious hotel. We had to clearly state our disappointment and to point out at most of the problems with the room to get what we should had from the beginning : another room, since the one we booked for was pretty much obviously disgusting and not fit for any guests. We were finally "upgraded" to the suite next door, but still without any explanation, clear apology (except a vague "sorry"), no commercial gesture. The staff member insisted that this move to the suite next door was "complementary", while it;s not, it's just the least they could do for customers who had booked a room and were heavily disappointed.

Even if the staff stated the fact that giving us the room next door was an "upgrade", and it's true that the room was beautiful (see below for the room description), that was not fitting with our expectations : the suite we were "upgraded" in had twin beds, not exactly what you could expect for a young couple on Valentine's day; the indoor bath-jacuzzi was beautiful but very small and i could not enjoy it with my injured leg. There were also a few minor disappointments, surprising in such a classy hotel, like the fact there was no coffee-machine (there was one in the Oasis suite, though), the bathroom amenities were very minimalistic (no disposable razor, no cotton tips ear buds, no brush). We were also very surprised by the absence of protection for the outdoor furniture, the couches being soaking wet and mouldy, even after the morning sunshine.

Despite this heavy disappointment, we enjoyed the room's elegant design and comfy furniture. The rooms (both Oasis Suite and Suite) were spacious and smartly designed, indeed. Lots of buttond allow the guests to change the lights moods, to move the curtains, even if the amount of functions makes it rather confusing than convenient.

We also appreciated the flexibility of the staff for the check-out, allowing a late check-out without having to ask for - but perhaps it was in compensation of our huge disappointment.

The location is great. If you walk a few hundreds meters, you can find hip restaurants (Tras Street). You're not far from Chinatown, even if the MRT (Tanjong Pagar station) is not that close.

View from the sky bar is great too.

Room Tip: The Oasis Suite might be tempting, but avoid it : it's not protected from the rain and gets very...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank E C
Gilbert O, Manager at klapsons, The Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback. At klapsons, we work hard to offer good and friendly service & we will continue to work harder to meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. If you’d like to contact me directly, I am most glad to receive your call. Once again, thank you for staying with us.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We enjoyed our 1 night stay @ the Klapsons. The service was good, the room unique and the outdoor area (small lounge sofa and outdoor shower) was a cute and unexpected treat. We couldn't use the outdoor sofa though since the area is not covered and therefore soaking wet after heavy rains.
The room itself was quite small, but had everything you need. Very interesting design with funky colors and furniture. The Mattress was comfy.
Breakfast at the 'sleeping Rhino' was ok, but nothing exciting.
Unfortunately both Fabrika Bar and Rhino Restaurant were closed when we arrived (due to Chinese New Year). It would have been nice to know this beforehand and not just upon check in. So it was hard to find dinner near by.
Overall though it was a pleasant stay and we enjoyed it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comments. At klapsons, we work hard to offer good and friendly, efficient service. I will pass your feedback on to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.