“Good for short term stay”

Fernloft China Town
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good for short term stay”
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Travelled with spouse on our business trip. Chose Fern Loft Chinatown from research on Tripadvisor. However they didn't have 4 weeks' availability so I only stayed here for 2 nights before moving to the Fern Loft Little India branch.

Pluses: The lady who runs it goes to the greatest effort to make you feel at home and gives welcoming touches. After the first night there, we woke up to find that she had gone out early to buy a scrumptious Indian breakfast for everyone at the hostel. Sure beats the toast and jam provided! When we were transferring to the Little India branch, she not only covered the cost of the taxi to get there, but also came with us to make sure we got there ok. The other plus is the free wireless internet.

Minuses: It is not in the best of areas- we were apprehensive when the shuttle dropped us off because it didn't looked like a public lodging, but more like a private residence tucked away in an alley. Don't lug up your luggages up the stairs like we did. There are lifts around the corner. The place only has 2 private bedrooms (one of which the manager occupies), and a mixed dorm room. Very tiny common area and the bathroom is a toilet and shower combined. The bedroom is as expected in a budget accommodation- nothing flash. The door was a bit faulty though. Transport is easy enough via MRT about 5-10 min away, but this is really not the nicest area to live at I felt. The immediate streets (and the walk to the MRT station) surrounding the Little India branch is much nicer and felt safer at night.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Cheap backpackers hostel in Singapore - good value for good quality

Cons:
- Shared bathroom: dirty, no shoes allowed in the hostel so had to share sandals
- Had to be very quiet at night, especially for those sharing the dorm (the hostess sleeps there too)

Pros:
- Mostly clean
- Comfortable, spacious private room for 3 people with a good air con & good night sleep as it is very quiet
- Very safe: CCTV cameras in the corridors
- Friendly hostess that acts as a mother duck
- Coffee & toast in the morning
- Good atmo to meet other backpackers
- Very cheap & good value
- Great location in bustling Chinatown & 5 mins taxi drive to nightlife in the city
- Close to MRTs (train stations)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We stayed in fernloft for two nights and I found this hostel OK.

There has been very many great reviews on this place and I got my expectations too high before we went there. However, for the price you pay, this is a good hostel.

There is only one shower and one toilet and the double rooms did not have windows.

It is also close to Chinatown station which is good.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend on our trip through SE Asia. Loved the place. Auntie Aini was a great hostess. She was welcoming, funny, and seemed to genuinely care about how we were doing. Very sweet lady. We arrived later at night than we thought we would by about two hours, but she waited for us and greeted us.

The place itself isn't anything special, but, then again, you (hopefully) don't travel to hang out in your room all day. The hostel is small. Very small. Three rooms: two private double rooms and a dorm room. There is one shower and one toilet. The common area has the reception desk, computer with free internet, and a small kitchen area (you wash your own dishes here, by the way). There are tables on the balcony. I found the view from the balcony to be nice, overlooking the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and the lights of the CBD.

The location is great. Chinatown (of course) and its wonderfull nighttime food market, the Chinatown Food complex, Peoples Park complex, the CBD, and the Maxwell Road Food Center (right across the street practically and home to Tian Tian Chicken Rice - the best) are all close by, as is the Chinatown subway stop.

Value-wise, the Fernloft is one of the less-expensive places to stay in Singapore. The rates may seem high for a backpackers hostel, but in the context of an expensive city/country like Singapore, it is a good deal.

If you are looking for a place where you can just sit in the dorm all day and be entertained or a place to party at night and be loud, I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Auntie does, indeed, stay at the hostel in the dorm room to ensure the quiet hours are enforced, as well as to ensure the safety of her guests. She runs a tight ship, to be sure. Having stayed at many hostels where the management cares only about your money and is indifferent to the state of its rooms, toilets, showers, guests' well-being, and noise levels, I found her dilligence refreshing. She is a proud, lifetime Singaporean who loves handing out tips and advice regarding sights and places to eat (the Lau Pa Sat Center satay stalls are her favorite and now mine). My girlfriend and I found her to be a wonderful lady. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Burnables
Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 May 2010

The Fernloft Chinatown is in a great location, especially if you're interested in food. There are three large food complexes within a five minute walk of the place. There are two metro stops close by as well (purple and green). Free internet is available as well. The rooms don't have windows but are nicely decorated. Other reviewers were not happy with the bathrooms, but they are fine. The hostel manager stays at the hostel to ensure it's quiet and clean. The bathrooms are almost always spotless. If you expect five-star luxury, then spend the money and book a five-star hotel. This place is a bargain for a reason. You can't have it all if you're on a budget. Auntie will ask questions about your day, but I think she only does it to make conversation. When we were there some guests wanted to eat at Hard Rock Cafe, but Auntie pointed them in another direction to a local spot. I thought it was great, but I'm also not into chain restaurants you can eat at in every country. We're traveling back to Singapore later this month, and we have already booked in to stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I stayed at Fernloft Little India for the 1st night, at Chinatown for the 2nd & 3rd and finally back to Little India on my 4th night because I had problem with my flight.

What I don't like:
1. I read the reviews on Hostelworld that this hostel get the big 5 of reviewers rating. It shown that everybody who stayed there always feel happy, so based on that review I decided to book a room. It was Feel like Home, but I don't feel I have privacy since there are many rules (feels like staying in a dormitory school), which in my deep thought the rules were OK, but the first impression was not impressed me as much as I read on the website. I mean, I know Auntie Aini was trying to make all things in the right way (perfectionist) in order to to make everybody feel comfort and happy, but not everybody is OK with that kind of service.
One accident happened when I took my bath in the 1st morning I stayed. While I was inside the bathroom, someone knocking the door. While still curious with the knocking (I thought I was just 10 minutes inside), was my mistake I did not directly answer, then suddenly the bathroom door is opened! I was screaming and luckily no one saw me (one man was sitting facing the computer).
Once I finished, Aunti was telling me she thought no one inside the bathroom since no one replying her knocking and the light were off. I said she should heard the water runs. Then she said that people outside the bathroom cannot hear the water runs and very often guest left the door open and the water runs. I know it was a lie because even from my room I can hear the water runs in the bathroom or even from the pipe beside the bathroom! And about the light, it was in the morning, very clear, so I didn't turn on the light coz I think It's already clear enough! There's no rules written on the wall that we should turn on the lights while bathing. It was really really really a bad experience I've had during my stay and my trip.
The next bathing time, I was checking the hook key in the bathroom. Obviously, even I have already put the key in the right order, it still can be opened from outside by forcing it. You need to change different type of door, if not, will be very dangerous especially for ladies guest.

2. Well, talking, sharing and knowing people is a must in our life, but I don't really like if the conversations turned into telling bad things about other guest nations, or even about other branch. I don't really care about internal problems, but as one company every staff should make a good trace and showing professionalism for a good image for their company. She gave me a guest comment paper for writing my comment about Little India branch but not for the Chinatown. I think this is not fair. If you need feedback should be widely open for good or bad feedback.

What I like:
1. Helpful information about Singapore from Aunti
2. The location was great! Luckily I stayed during the Chinese NY festival so I can walked around enjoying the festival. The view from the 2nd floor is awesome, as we saw Chinese temple every morning.
3. Clean and we had a honeymoon-red room. Love the colour, love the pillows (4 comfy pillows)
4. Welcome drink is available

Even though this hostel is recommended, I hope the owner do some action to prevent those things not happen in the future for other guest.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Momoid
Ljubljana,Slovenia
Reviewed 5 March 2010

This is certanly not a hostel or a place, where you want to be,sleep.... First of all this so called hostel is in a building, in a "place", where you should put your bike in. I don't know what is so romantic and all that about this hostel, but i don't find a little room with no window romantic, i find it claustrophobic, and i'm not claustrophobic. "Hostel" is supposed to be somekind of warehouse, or something...Location is OK if you like a loud auction, smell of food quarter and market . "Hostel" is way to expencive for what they are offering. They have a shared bathroom an the doors are made of tiny,tiny plastic,so if you pull it a little bit harder, they may brake. The toilet an shower are in front of the reception room, because this place is really small. A bike warehouse.
The owner is a women, and all the time she is putting her nose in everything. Like a mother on a teenager - "you came late last night, where did you go" oh comme on, give me a brake. She even got a self printed quality diploma on the wall for that place beeing a 4th best hostel in Singapore.She sleeps in a dorm with all other guests. I'm not a 5 star guest, but this place is really the worst place, i've been to, OK, maybe top 4.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple