Fernloft China Town
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat locationchinatown mrthostelbackpackersshoppinghawker
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I'm a solo female who stayed in the 16 persons mixed dorm for 1 night. Good thing about the hostel is the location. It is near chinatown MRT, and there's good pubs and restaurants just opposite the hostel at tanjong pagar road / duxton hill. I'd also recommend Maxwell food centre (also just opposite the hostel) for some great local food.The hosts were very friendly, and allowed me to check out really early in the morning, something that I was very appreciative of. Not many hosts would be still be polite and cheery at 6am in the morning.
Cons would be that cleanliness could have been better as compared to the other hostels I've stayed before, but for that price it was good enough for me.
Overall, if you're looking for somewhere cheap and basic to bunk in for the night, I would say fernloft would be good enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hostel is right in Chinatown near 2 metro stations. It's very clean and the beds are comfortable. I stayed 2 nights in the 4 bed girls room and 1 night in the 12 bed dorm room and both were wonderful. There is a small, free breakfast served and free wifi (also a laptop to use for free as well). Lights out and no noise after 11:30pm which I really appreciated. Auntie Aimi (owner) was like our mom away from home, making sure everyone was taken care of and full of suggestions on what to do, where to eat, ect. There was one toilet and 2 separate showers which was nice. I would most definitely stay here again and will recommend this hostel to all of my travelling friends.

Room Tip: Both rooms I stayed in were nice, I did not like one over the other. All have lockers (bring your own lock) and a small nightstand to use. Each bed is equipped with its own electrical socket and night light for reading.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay that is simple and comfy than the Fernloft in Chinatown is one of the better options. It is a small hostel with limited facilities (one shower and toilet, common computer + printer, breakfast setup - tea an toast, and a little balcony area) but it is affordable. I had a late check-in at 1am and the owner/manager Auntie Aini was very accommodating to my situation. The hostel is clean and is secured in afterhours so it is safe. Location is ideal with many eateries nearby (within 2 minutes walking distance - ask Aunt Aini for the best places to eat); MRT Chinatown is 5 minutes away; temples and mosque to explore; cheap souvenirs and gift shops aplenty; 7-11 convenient store just across South Bridge Road; and with Clarke Quay a 15-minute walking distance away.

It is a small but simple and serviceable hostel if all you plan to do is use the Fernloft as a base to rest in the Chinatown district of Singapore.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2012

For me, staying at Fernloft Chinatown felt more like visiting a friend than being in a hostel. This is due to super-friendly Aunty Aini who manages the place. She takes care of each guest individually, she connects people, hangs out with them and she knows all the good places to eat. The location is great, in chinatown but also in walking distance to downtown, good connection to public transport. The fernloft is inexpensive, so do not expect any luxuries, but its excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Adam S
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Since our flight was to come in at around 2am, we emailec them in advance to request for either an early check-in or luggage storage. The person my sister emailed was amenable to our proposed arrangement of leaving our baggage at 7am and then checking in at 10pm so we could make the most of our short stay in SG.

So imagine our surprise when we arrived in the hostel at 7am and nobody was answering the door. We were stuck outside under the humid SG weather for a good 30 mins or so before my brother thought of knocking at the door next to the hostel. Suddenly, a cranky old lady (who the above posts refer to as the "wonderful" Auntie Aini) emerged with a frown on her face. She told us that it was too early to check-in even without bothering to check if any of their anticipated guests had requested for luggage storage prior to check-in. That's no way to treat a guest! We were not expecting a five-star welcome but a smile would have been nice.

After spending the day at Universal Studios, we returned to the hostel at a few minutes past 10pm. One of the first things she says when we arrive is that we took so long to return to the hostel. Duh!? First, we had emailed Fernloft in advance and they were amenable to our late check-in at 10pm. Second, we very clearly told her that morning that we will be returning at 10pm because we wanted to make the most of our short stay in SG. Third, THERE WAS NO NOTICE THAT THE HOSTEL HAD A CURFEW, OR WHAT TIME IT WOULD BE IF IT HAD ONE! In any event, the curfew should be limited to the dorm rooms so as not to disrupt other guests. My siblings and I were staying in a room we had to ourselves so I really don't see any reason why she was so hyped up about our "late" arrival. She even had the audacity to tell us that she's already 60 years old and that she runs the place alone. So what? If she can't do it anymore, she should quit. It's that simple. It's not like we forced her into that job or anything. And, contrary to what she claims, she even stayed up later than we did because my brother caught her watching Indian movies when he was on his way to the bathroom.

On another note, this hostel is located a few meters away from the entrance to Chinatown, the bus station, and a hawker centre. It's also a walking distace away from several train stations so it's very accessible and convenient. Although it's not as pretty as I would have imagined, we had a good night's rest here. The airconditioning is a bit too cold, though.

All told, I wouldn't stay in this hostel again if it means having to deal with a horrible person such as Auntie Aini who acts as if she owns the place.

Stayed: April 2012