“Good location, [not very] welcoming Auntie Aini!”

Fernloft China Town
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Good location, [not very] welcoming Auntie Aini!”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My two friends and I (all are boys, sophomores) visited Singapore last August and stayed at FernLoft Chinatown for two nights (from 7th to 9th). Also this was our very first trip abroad so we were very excited!
What we like: very very convenient location: the hostel is at the heart of Chinatown, easily access to city center with many tourist attractions, MRT stations and bus stops are just 5min away, Chinatown food complex's just down the floor, street maket surrouding with price that you can bargain, there are The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Sri Mariamman Temple near by... I love the location a lot because we could go many places on foot within 1 day!! The hostel price $20 including self service breakfast, which was basically pb&j (it was ok for me, but I recently knew other hostels offrered fruit along with the toast, at the same price). The place is small but cozy, beds are decent, toilet and shower are very clean, free wifi, and you can asked the owner for direction, booking tickets,... It's enough for a backpacker's need at the end of a day after all!
What we did NOT like: obviously as my title has mentioned it, we seemed to have some unpleasant moments with the owner lady and they made the trip somewhat less joyful. The day we arrived we were greeted by an gentle old man who said that he just took care of the hostel since the owner had gone to Malaysia. The next morning, when we showed up in the common area we were asked by a lady (later we found out that she is Auntie Aini the owner): "Where are you from?" and I said that we were from Vietnam, her first replied with a stoned face: "When will you leave?", charming! Where were the welcoming smile and the outgoing atttitude people have been raving about??? And then later when we were chatting at the balcony seats, she brought a plate with some burnt toast someone had left on the breakfast bar and asked "Did you do this?". SERIOUSLY! Among all the other guests sitting there, she came straight to us and asked that! Until now I always wonder why. Because we're from "that country" means we couldn't figure out how to use a toaster?! or because the bad reputation some Vietnamese got when being charged for uneaten/wasting food makes she assumed it's the norm? I was really disappointed and told her we never did something like that, but she gave us a lesson about "how everything is so expensive in this country" anyway! Well, sweet memories for a first timer huh! Since then she gave us a weird grumpy attitude until we left!
Before the trip I had done online research a lot and was very happy to find this place out: good location and many excellent comments. But the real experience, well, wasn't quite as I expected (and I'm definitely not mr.high-expectation!). If only I read more carefully about the comment of CathyPHL!!! After all it was just our own experiences, so I assumed may be we just had bad luck or caught people on an off day, and the place was really great and amazing as most people have enjoyed it. But if I ever visit Singapore again, I'll never choose FernLoft Chinatown for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 3 February 2014

First of all the location is fantastic! You can see china town from the balcony! Bit of a walk to little India but the MRT station is really close. It's up off the road so you feel very safe. The rooms are okay- usual hostel but the entire place is super clean. It's small and cosy. The manager auntie Aini is AMAZING! So polite and calm and really friendly. She really makes you feel come and looked after. So helpful and understanding. The showers and bathroom are all shared which is the norm- but kept very clean. I would recommend this place to everyone. I would come back here!

• Stayed February 2014
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We stayed at Fernloft Chinatown twice recently and both stays were excellent.

The hostel is tiny compared to many backpackers. Two dorms and small communal area with reception desk, computer, breakfast bar, two showers and one toilet BUT this is all complimented by the large veranda that can be access by two different doors. There are tables and chairs on the wide veranda, all on the first floor of a highrise that is smack in the middle of Chinatown. It feels very domestic and local.

We were a large party with 3 kids (13, 10, 3) so we booked out the small 4-6 bed dorm and also took a few beds in the larger dorm. Everyone was happy. The kids got surprised looks from the other residents but this isn't a party hard hostel anyway. Auntie who runs the establishment is very helpful and keeps things running smoothly. We really appreciated the coffee and toast for breakfast. Breakfast in Asia is such a disappointment to our western palette.

The beds are good, linens nice, lockers, reading lights, a/c and fan. Great location (MRT close by). Clean. Free wifi. I'll stay here again anytime.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Charity T
Orange County, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My friend and I stayed here for nearly a week and we loved it. It was comfortable, had warm showers, working internet, great food court close by, and it wasn't too far from the metro station. But none of those things were the highlight, the best part was the owner. She was so kind and helped us book anything (such as the zoo), and even helped us with the bus schedule. I would highly suggest staying at Fernloft China Town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jordan C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

A small 16 beds hostel in an HDB complex. I and wife stayed in the mixed dorm, comfortably cool even it is windowless and without the air conditioned turned on.

Each bed has warm light (so you can read at night) and electric socket. Every bed is assigned a locker. My locker was broken so I couldn't lock it. Nevertheless, I was the only one with such problem and, since I never leave my valuables inside a locker of a shared room, it was not a problem at all for me.

The hostel has 2 hot showers and 1 toilet.

WiFi is available. Singapore speed.

Location is great as it is near Chinatown MRT Station (purple line), a few stations from Dhoby Ghaut MRT Interchange Station, and short walk from Tanjong Pagar MRT Station (green line), which line is direct to Changi Airport).

Cleanliness is excellent, thanks to the infamous and wonderful Auntie Aini, the Branch Manager who runs the place. She was very nice and attentive, the mother of the house. If you're a muslim, she'll share a space for you to pray. She's also fluent in Bahasa Indonesia.

The only minor setback we experienced was the sudden bed change due to overbooking from Hostelworld. Auntie Aini gave her bed to address this issue. I believe this is the homework of Hostelword to fix the online booking system.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuarSanubari
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Compared to the Fernloft KL and it is smaller and generally more quiet.
The owner lady is really outgoing!
She keeps the dorm very clean, talk to the guests about their interests in Singapore and recommend attractions in the city.

The people staying at the hostel tend to be more quiet because the over head lights go off aroud 10-11PM.
I've stayed at many hostels where they never turn off the over head light until the last person returns to their bed.

If you are looking to rest in silence it is a great place to stay.

Its also really close from the eating place in China town!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I'm a solo female who stayed in the 16 persons mixed dorm for 1 night. Good thing about the hostel is the location. It is near chinatown MRT, and there's good pubs and restaurants just opposite the hostel at tanjong pagar road / duxton hill. I'd also recommend Maxwell food centre (also just opposite the hostel) for some great local food.The hosts were very friendly, and allowed me to check out really early in the morning, something that I was very appreciative of. Not many hosts would be still be polite and cheery at 6am in the morning.
Cons would be that cleanliness could have been better as compared to the other hostels I've stayed before, but for that price it was good enough for me.
Overall, if you're looking for somewhere cheap and basic to bunk in for the night, I would say fernloft would be good enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo