“Good budget stay”

Fernloft China Town
Berlin, Germany
“Good budget stay”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I searched for the cheapest solo accomodation and Fernloft served my purpose without dissappointment.
Location is great, Chinatown, right behind the Buddha Tooth Temple and with hawkers food market across the street.
I had a girls dorm room (6 beds), no windows, good airconditioning.
Breakfast consisting of toasts, butter, jam and nutella is served every morning.
The host, Aini, was a bit grumpy but that gave quite a homely-grandmother impression :)

Only downside might be that if you arrive late, the door might be locked (since the host resides elsewhere) and you have to cellphone her to get the code. That might be a problem if you are on roaming or have none.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We booked fernloft for one night. I woke up scratching and realised I was being bitten by bed bugs. Moved to another spare bed and continued to be bitten. Also advertises a 4bed dorm but has 5 beds. Much better options in Chinatown!

• Stayed July 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Aunty Aini was awesome, can't put it any other way. This was my first time staying in a hostel and it was wonderful. Everything was really clean inside, and the location was amazing - Chinatown is a great place to stay in you're gonna be staying in Singapore for a bit. All the beds seemed to get their own power outlet as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Wonderful place to stay.
Aunty Aini is a great host who cares about each guest.
She cooked a wonderful dinner for us.
I also needed a vaccination for my next stint of traveling and she was kind enough to take us to her doctor.
It is clean, and safe. I will be recommending this hostel to friends and will be back again.

Room Tip: just ask Aini if you need anything and she will sort you out. I needed a typhoid vaccine for the nex...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
toronto
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The location is great, close to China town MRT. The facilities are what you would expect, clean bunk beds, shared showers. PC available to use in the common space. But what really stood out was Auntie Ainee. She was very helpfui. And really made this place feel like a second home. I've seen some bad reviews about her, but i've also seen how disrespectful some of the guests can be. She is accomodating within reason, but when it comes to actions that would disrupt the other guests that are already sleeping she will say no. And i've seen people get upset but, really it was their own faults. In anycase i can only really elaborate on my own person experience.

I stayed here for 3 nights. And Auntie offered to cook me a meal. I didn't ask, she just offered so I obliged. And it was great, Chicken in coconut milk. I've also seen her offer to cook for other guests as well, so that was great.

The rooms were very quiet, in the evenings, and i believe this is because Auntie Ainee will not tolerate the noise. So if u enjoy being loud at late hours, this place would definately not be great for you. It was fine for me.

If i were to come back to Singapore, i would recommend this place. For the value, and the experience i had here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My two friends and I (all are boys, sophomores) visited Singapore last August and stayed at FernLoft Chinatown for two nights (from 7th to 9th). Also this was our very first trip abroad so we were very excited!
What we like: very very convenient location: the hostel is at the heart of Chinatown, easily access to city center with many tourist attractions, MRT stations and bus stops are just 5min away, Chinatown food complex's just down the floor, street maket surrouding with price that you can bargain, there are The Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, Sri Mariamman Temple near by... I love the location a lot because we could go many places on foot within 1 day!! The hostel price $20 including self service breakfast, which was basically pb&j (it was ok for me, but I recently knew other hostels offrered fruit along with the toast, at the same price). The place is small but cozy, beds are decent, toilet and shower are very clean, free wifi, and you can asked the owner for direction, booking tickets,... It's enough for a backpacker's need at the end of a day after all!
What we did NOT like: obviously as my title has mentioned it, we seemed to have some unpleasant moments with the owner lady and they made the trip somewhat less joyful. The day we arrived we were greeted by an gentle old man who said that he just took care of the hostel since the owner had gone to Malaysia. The next morning, when we showed up in the common area we were asked by a lady (later we found out that she is Auntie Aini the owner): "Where are you from?" and I said that we were from Vietnam, her first replied with a stoned face: "When will you leave?", charming! Where were the welcoming smile and the outgoing atttitude people have been raving about??? And then later when we were chatting at the balcony seats, she brought a plate with some burnt toast someone had left on the breakfast bar and asked "Did you do this?". SERIOUSLY! Among all the other guests sitting there, she came straight to us and asked that! Until now I always wonder why. Because we're from "that country" means we couldn't figure out how to use a toaster?! or because the bad reputation some Vietnamese got when being charged for uneaten/wasting food makes she assumed it's the norm? I was really disappointed and told her we never did something like that, but she gave us a lesson about "how everything is so expensive in this country" anyway! Well, sweet memories for a first timer huh! Since then she gave us a weird grumpy attitude until we left!
Before the trip I had done online research a lot and was very happy to find this place out: good location and many excellent comments. But the real experience, well, wasn't quite as I expected (and I'm definitely not mr.high-expectation!). If only I read more carefully about the comment of CathyPHL!!! After all it was just our own experiences, so I assumed may be we just had bad luck or caught people on an off day, and the place was really great and amazing as most people have enjoyed it. But if I ever visit Singapore again, I'll never choose FernLoft Chinatown for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

First of all the location is fantastic! You can see china town from the balcony! Bit of a walk to little India but the MRT station is really close. It's up off the road so you feel very safe. The rooms are okay- usual hostel but the entire place is super clean. It's small and cosy. The manager auntie Aini is AMAZING! So polite and calm and really friendly. She really makes you feel come and looked after. So helpful and understanding. The showers and bathroom are all shared which is the norm- but kept very clean. I would recommend this place to everyone. I would come back here!

• Stayed February 2014