“Great way to see the real Singapore” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 125 Tours in Singapore
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The walks work on a simple principle: to bring people into places most other tours don't. Graveyards, smoke houses, wet markets, gun batteries, the city’s best-kept secret places. You name it, we have it. Since 2003, the Walks led by an eclectic bunch of researcher-guides have taken locals and travellers alike off the beaten track, and entertained with an endless store of anecdotes that reveal the true heart of the city. Pre-booking not necessary!
Tasmania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great way to see the real Singapore”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We did the Sultans of Spice tour with Mina who was an excellent and interesting guide. We have done another of their tours a few years ago and found this one just as good, although I would have preferred to have only visited one shop not three but I guess it gave us a break from the sun and heat.
Would definitely recommend this company, great way to find out about the fascinating history and mix of cultures that now make up Singapore.
Thank you!

Visited October 2013

Dili
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The things you don't see without a great guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I enjoyed a wonderful tour of Little India with Carol Joy a few weeks ago. This was my second Singapore tour and Carol Joy did not disappoint: history and culture were brought to life and we looked at our surroundings with new eyes and new understanding. And a lot of fun along the way!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Still great two years later”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I first joined the Singapore Walks (Kampung Glam and Little India) on a visit with my mother two years ago. This time I joined the Chinatown walk (Red Clogs...) with my father. The price of the walks have gone up but we had a little discount because of the company's 10th year anniversary.

Having gone on another walk (a 'free' walk by local university students - donation sought at the end of the walk), I must say though the walks are expensive, you get what you pay for - professional service.

Our guide was very knowledgeable, detailed and friendly, spoke loudly so everyone could hear and came armed with supporting material (old photos). The walk provided great insights into the places we visited and the lives of the people who once lived and worked there.

The walk is leisurely enough for people of all ages. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, bring some water and wear a hat and sunglasses if you are afraid of the sun. There are stops along the way for those who need to catch their breath.

Our visit to the Chinese medicine hall was timely as my father was down with flu. After he took the OTC medicine recommended (he did not see a sinseh), he coughed out a great amount of disgusting phlegm and he felt better after that and could enjoy the rest of our week-long holiday. I've always favoured alternative/traditional treatment, with good reason.

Be prepared for the walk to overrun a bit. Partly due to latecomers and depending how engaged you are - this is the place to ask questions because your guide would most likely be able to answer them all. Give some buffer time before your next appointment.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Joelynnchin
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fantastic insight into the 'other' Singapore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

My wife and I just did the Secrets of the Red Lantern tour put on by The Original Singapore Walks and are very impressed. Our guide was effervescent and informative and obviously really loved showing us her city. It was such a pleasant change from the usually sterilised tours that miss out on exposing the underbelly of a city. Well done! Apart from the stories of old detailing the antics of Chinatown at the turn of the century and beyond, we were exposed to the real seedy side of current Singapore which is hidden from the average tourist. We toured the real Red Light District of today and cruised the lane ways with their girls, girlie-boys, trannies, outdoor gambling tables and more and it was brilliant. Risqué yes, a bit edgy maybe, but well worth the visit. If you do nothing other than this tour, just go for it.

2 Thank RIckDonald1974
Leeds, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I went on the Sultans of Spice walk yesterday and learned so much and saw things i never would have found on my own. These walks are a great way to see the real Singapore and understand its history. The walk itself is not demanding and there are plenty of stops. The guide is friendly and down to earth. Highly recommended. I went alone and there were several singletons there so don't be put off if like me your partner cant do walks