“Super way to see Singapore”

The Original Singapore Walks
Ranked #12 of 160 Tours in Singapore
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The walks work on a simple principle: to bring people into places most other tours don't. Graveyards, smoke houses, wet markets, gun batteries, the city’s best-kept secret places. You name it, we have it. Since 2003, the Walks led by an eclectic bunch of researcher-guides have taken locals and travellers alike off the beaten track, and entertained with an endless store of anecdotes that reveal the true heart of the city. Pre-booking not necessary!
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Can I say a big thank you to Helena for the walk on Monday and to Mina for Wednesday's trip. Both were excellent and a good way to see and learn more about the City.
The visit to the Supreme Court was amazing and not something as a tourist I would ever have done as was the trip out to Changi.
Will most certainly book again on my next visit.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"meeting point"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We took the Red Lantern walk in Chinatown and Geylang. The organization was great and the guide was very good. The tour started in Chinatown and we covered a small area in about an hour, learning a lot about the history. Just fine. Then we hopped on a coach and went across town to gawk at the prostitutes and drug dealers in Geylang for an hour. Just a little weird. And, I know things are expensive in Singapore but $55 is 2x what we pay for similar walks in London, Italy, and Sydney.

1  Thank CDeTraveler
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We did the Sultans of Spice tour with Mina who was an excellent and interesting guide. We have done another of their tours a few years ago and found this one just as good, although I would have preferred to have only visited one shop not three but I guess it gave us a break from the sun and heat.
Would definitely recommend this company, great way to find out about the fascinating history and mix of cultures that now make up Singapore.
Thank you!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I enjoyed a wonderful tour of Little India with Carol Joy a few weeks ago. This was my second Singapore tour and Carol Joy did not disappoint: history and culture were brought to life and we looked at our surroundings with new eyes and new understanding. And a lot of fun along the way!

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I first joined the Singapore Walks (Kampung Glam and Little India) on a visit with my mother two years ago. This time I joined the Chinatown walk (Red Clogs...) with my father. The price of the walks have gone up but we had a little discount because of the company's 10th year anniversary.

Having gone on another walk (a 'free' walk by local university students - donation sought at the end of the walk), I must say though the walks are expensive, you get what you pay for - professional service.

Our guide was very knowledgeable, detailed and friendly, spoke loudly so everyone could hear and came armed with supporting material (old photos). The walk provided great insights into the places we visited and the lives of the people who once lived and worked there.

The walk is leisurely enough for people of all ages. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, bring some water and wear a hat and sunglasses if you are afraid of the sun. There are stops along the way for those who need to catch their breath.

Our visit to the Chinese medicine hall was timely as my father was down with flu. After he took the OTC medicine recommended (he did not see a sinseh), he coughed out a great amount of disgusting phlegm and he felt better after that and could enjoy the rest of our week-long holiday. I've always favoured alternative/traditional treatment, with good reason.

Be prepared for the walk to overrun a bit. Partly due to latecomers and depending how engaged you are - this is the place to ask questions because your guide would most likely be able to answer them all. Give some buffer time before your next appointment.

1  Thank Joelynnchin