“Worst Hotel for Staycation”

Santa Grand Hotel Bugis
Ranked #124 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Was there with my fiancee early May 2014. Booked hotel room at around 2000hrs through Agoda. When we arrived, there was not a single greeting from 2 Front Office staff (one Indian guy,whom i presume was the Duty Manager and 1 Chinese lady) and the Chinese bellman staff. In fact, i was the one who greeted them. Gave me the first room on the ground floor stating the reason that mine was a last minute booking and their hotel was full. I didnt have any other choices, didnt i? When i went inside the room, the design and ammenities was fine. But there was luggage tags left behind the door from the previous guest. I had to go out, get the bellman staff to see for himself what i saw. He apologized profusely, but not the 2 counter staff. Worst staycation ever for Singaporeans who wish to try out. They dont treat locals very well. And mind you, i have been to other hotels like Hotel Re, Marina Mandarin and Landmark Hotel Bugis. But this is the worst among all. Never coming here again thanks to the very poor service. The only good thing was the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Faizal2103,

Thank you for sharing your experiences here on TripAdvisor. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

According to your reservation form, a Superior Queen room was booked. The room that you were assigned to was indeed a Superior Queen room and we are sorry to hear that you and your fiancé did not enjoy the room.

We are sorry to hear of your encounter over the luggage tags. Hygiene is of utmost importance to us and we will counsel our housekeepers to ensure and maintain a high level of hygiene.

We have reviewed the approach of our service crew towards hotel guests and shall continue to strive for better customer service and relations through guidance and retraining.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to your continued patronage.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Though location is not really their strong point, I was truly impressed by their services. Instead of giving me the without-window room, as I purchased it due to the lowest price in Agoda, they upgraded my room with the view.

Room was nice, lighting was adequate. It matched the price (Singapore price, I mean).

Breakfast was also good, and my 4 year old daughter was free of charge.

Nearest MRT station is about 15-20 minutes walk. So if you are with less than 4 year old kid, it will be too far for them to walk.

Room Tip: 4 floor is the same level of pool, if you need to do swimming.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Lim Heru H,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that our team provided you with prompt and attentive service that made your stay a memorable one! We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and our breakfast selection. We also hope that your daughter had a good time with us too!

Thank you for choosing Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights with my partner. Good location, good value for Singapore, decent stay overall. The breakfast was ok, though it was free so no complaints. We chose the cheaper option of a basement room and although it was on the small side it was still perfectly fine for 2 people. Hotel was clean and service was good. Unfortunately the pool was under maintenance when we went so we did not get to try which would have been good. Overall it was a decent room for a good price in Singapore, though its selling point is probably the location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Jamato89,

Thank you for writing us such a great review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and had an overall memorable stay with us! Our team will continue to work hard to provide top service to continue to meet our guests' needs!

Thank you for choosing Santa Grand Hotel Bugis and we hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had stayed here for three days...
staff extremely helpful.... They had upgraded our room without asking for it.....
Need to increase the item in breakfast and fried fish was very delicious.
In all it was a pleasant stay at santa grand
highly recommend

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Sameer K

Dear Sameer K,

Thank you for writing us a review on TripAdvisor! We are happy to hear that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us! We will share your concern with the management for immediate consideration and attention!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we hope to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Hi I stayed in this hotel for 5 days in may I have only praises for this hotel. Let me go over the plus points before I mention some very minor shortcomings.
1 it's centrally located. Near to lavander and bugis mrt. Near to clarke. Near to all the places to be in singapore.
2. Fantastic and very friendly and help staff. Especially Judy and juice.
3. Good nice clean rooms, and unlike other people I didn't find the rooms very small. The tolietries very changed everyday and again unlike others I didn't find the basement room bad by any means. It is not noisy.

The only shortcoming of the room is that the lighting in the room and the bathroom is dim. It will be a lot better to add more light.
4. It's has a nice small swimming pool on the roof. Again the only thing which will be preferable is that the swimming pool remains open 24 hours for guests rather than from 7 am to 7 pm. It will be nice to have a dip in the pool after a tiring day.
5. The breakfast in the mornings is one thing which can be improved on in terms of variety, mind you the quality is very good. But it's more or less the same stuff every morning.

In a nutshell I will recommend this hotel to any one who has a moderate budget and what's the best of what that can buy.
As for me I will stay at this hotel only whenever I come here again.

1  Thank Pankaj G

Dear Pankaj G,

Thank you for writing such a detailed review! Our team here at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis appreciate your 5 star rating and this will only motivate us to work even harder to provide even better service to our future guests!

We appreciate your feedback and your concerns will be shared with the management for immediate attention.

Thank you for choosing Santa Grand Hotel Bugis and we are excited at the opportunity of welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

In a good location, between 5 and 10 minutes walk to Bugis MRT (depending on when you catch the pedestrian crossing lights!). The MRT is the way to get around Singapore, easy with an EZ card.
2 minutes walk from Kampong Glam and Arab Street, lots of cafes and restaurants in this area.
The hotel staff were excellent, fast, efficient check in to our room. The porter who met us at the door and showed us up to the 4th floor was charming, a real nice welcome. I'd requested a room on a higher floor with a balcony and that's what we got. Spotless clean, great bathroom, comfortable bed and pillows. If I was to be critical I would say the room was on the small side but this was because the balcony took up that extra space, I saw rooms on the other side of the corridor and they were bigger but without the balcony. Also the TV didn't have many channels to view but no big deal. Everything else was what you'd expect, and maybe more, from a hotel for this price in Singapore.
Breakfast was from 7-9am, I thought they put on a pretty decent buffet selection considering the varied tastes of all the guests.
Discounted tickets for some of the local attractions can be purchased at reception. They;ll also mail your postcards home.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RepublikaR
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Stripey7,

Warm greetings from Santa Grand Hotel Bugis! Thank you for writing us such a detailed review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and that our team provided you with prompt and attentive service that made your stay a memorable one!

Yes indeed, there are many different eateries and places of interest just a walking distance from our hotel and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed them!

Thank you for choosing Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was traveling thru Singapore back to work and this stay as short as it was turned out to be an EXCELLENT stay! I truly wished I could have stayed longer but only had a few hours before my next flight. Giving the fact of where this hotel was located and the simple but yet very nice accommodation; very clean.
I will indeed ask if I can stay there again on my next trip back thru on business.
Breakfast was on par of other hotels I have stayed in the city without the crowds. they also had an outside area to sit in which I would have but arrived to late; but it did look nice from my seat and view of it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
santagrandhotels, Hotel Management Team at Santa Grand Hotel Bugis, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Frank M,

Thank you for your wonderful review! Your kind compliments about Santa Grand Hotel Bugis motivates our team to work even harder to provide even better service for our guests'. We are happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us!

Thank you for choosing Santa Grand Hotel Bugis! We are happy to have hosted your stay and we look forward to your next business trip in Singapore!