“Cosy but not for everyone”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Studio M Hotel

Studio M Hotel
Ranked #124 of 306 Hotels in Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
“Cosy but not for everyone”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at the Studio M Hotel in Singapore. The room was small but is split into 2 levels. The lower level is the shower on one side and the WC on the direct opposite. Basically, the sofa, study desk is at the lower level where the entrance is. The upper level is a flight of stairs about 15 steps to reach the bed where the TV is. Cannot watch TV on the sofa but only in bed. The space upstairs is pretty tight too.
If one needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, one has to very carefully trod down the stairs in sleepy stupor... People with mobility problems will find it very difficult to make the up and down the narrow stairs.
Otherwise, room is clean albeit a strong musty smell as a result of having no ventilation in the shower, there were signs of mold on the edge of the shower door as well.
The location is superb. Plenty of restaurant and cafés well within walkin distance. The Illy Espressemente on the lobby has closed and in place of that, they put an automatic coffee machine, FOC.
Easy to get taxis and they have complimentary wifi but I will probably not return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Elanora, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you're looking for a spacious hotel room, then the Studio M is not for you; however, if you're looking for an inexpensive hotel, with a twist, in a great location that's walking distance to Robertson Walk and Clarke Quay, then I'd recommend you considered the Studio M.

In truth, the bathroom and toilet arrangements are slightly too cramped but other than that the room is perfectly comfortable and encourages you to head out the door to explore or spend some time relaxing in the outdoor area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

The concept of the room is great and special. However, the room is really smal. Stayed in the patio room where my friends and I celebrated a party together.

Room allows a maximum stay for 3 persons, where 1 person can sleep on the sofa bed.

However, when requested for just 1 more extra towel for the 3rd person, the hotel requires a top up of USD40, which I feel its really unnecessary.

The shower area and toilet is seperated and I have to say the shower area is really too small.

If you do not mind staying in a small room, then it should be ok.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hanachiaki
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Had a wonderful staycation over at Studio M last weekend.
Since it was a weekend, the lobby area was packed and we had to quee for around 30mins to check in.
During checking in, it was a breeze.
Friendly receptionist, always smiling while serving me and the rest of the guests despite being pregnant and the busy surrouding.
Minus the small bathroom, the stay was simply superb!
We just loveeee the comfy bed & pillows.
Good location near to pubs & cafes.
10-15min romantic stroll along the river to Liang Court / The Central for dinner or late night supper.
Will stay here again next time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We spend two nights my husband and myself on November 13, 2013. The room was too too too small. The bed was pushed against the wall which makes the access very hard for the second person.
However, the location was good close to the river side and to many restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hayekso
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

The Studio M Hotel was a place I was really looking forward to experiencing. There were a few hick ups. Firstly a room I had booked several months earlier could not be found. After a day of inquiring they advised me that they had it, and apologized. A few days prior to reaching there, I called them to inquire about a couple of things including if they had wireless access. They advised me this was complementary, however then informed me they had no record of my booking. I advised them I had called a week earlier to be advised the same thing, however they found it. I had provided them booking reference numbers and they still could not find it. A day later I had to call back after being assured I was going to receive a call to confirm my booking. I never received this call so I took the initiative to call back. They confirmed that the booking agent had not sent them the details. I did not contest this, though they had my booking last week, which I thought was strange. I left it at that.

Upon arrival, I was escorted to the room to find my view was of another building. I called Reception and asked to be moved to a River view. They said this was upon availability. I informed them that this booking was made several months earlier. The next day I was moved to a room with a river, though it was not facing the river.

Also the internet happened to be down at the time I was there so for 2 days there was no access to this facility which was really disappointing especially that this is Singapore, a Technology hub for Asia, this did not demonstrate well for me. Hopefully this was only a isolated incident, but any readers of this article who may stay there can give there feedback on this.

Besides the initial hiccups, my overall stay was very pleasant, and the staff were very accommodating and courteous. It was well located for a really lovely stay in amazing Singapore. Would I stay there again, I would say “Yes”. As a word of advise to them, I would say that they need to take better care of the booking in advance, and to tell me it was the booking company’s fault does not stay pretty with me, as the hotel had my details the week earlier, so don’t spin some banter to cover it up, when I am aware of the fact the booking was already there. Some organization can save the hotel any embarrassment.

Room Tip: Ask fir a River view room, unless you plan to keep the curtains closed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Wanted to have a staycation and always wanted to try Studio M for the unique loft design.
Knew about the small space and upon check into the room, I actually found it still acceptable in terms of space, love the high ceiling and loft design, though it may seems like a shoebox size room, but I'd stayed in smaller room before, so Studio M is actually quite ok.
The room comes with a big desk which can double up as part of the stairs to the loft around.
The bed is pretty soft, maybe too soft for my liking. And there are lots of compartments during the bedroom area, which I guess it is meant for those long stay guests. As usual, you can't find a wardrobe in such a small room, but just a place for you to hang some of your clothes.

Probably for the negative part of the room is that, the room comes with a very small toilet and small shower room, located at both sides of the main door. Do take note of your actions as I accidentally hit my elbow a couple of times in the shower room, due to the small space.

Located near Robertson Quay where you are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining. Lots of restaurants and cafes around the vicinity. And the popular Clarke Quay is just 10mins walking distance, or you can take a boat ride instead.
Overall this is a hotel mainly for business travelers who don't mind the small space, but with a tad SOHO design.

Room Tip: Request for a higher floor room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends