“Nice hotel ”

Studio M Hotel
Ranked #122 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
“Nice hotel ”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was near Clarke Quay so there were excellent restaurants near by. The nearest tram station was in Chinatown, also within walking distance.
The room was small but nice, good house cleaning and very friendly staff. Excellent buffet breakfast and fast reliable wi-fi in the room.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jukka K
StudioMHotel_SG, Hotel Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear “Jukka K”,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at Studio M Hotel. We are really pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay experience with us!

At Studio M Hotel, we are totally committed to delivering consistent high standards of guest services and we thank you for your valuable patronage. If I can be of personal assistance to your next stay, please contact us at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I travelled to Singapore for business Aug 2014 and stayed at the Studio M Hotel, Singapore.

Location: Strategically located on the riverside, very close to Robertson Walk and within 15 mins walk to the Clarke Quay, Studio M is for anyone who wants to see the real beauty of Singapore without having to be in a busy area.

Arrival: I arrived at around 10 in the morning, rather early for check in, but the room was ready. So it was a good start with a few hours rest before my afternoon meeting. Front desk was courteous and hospitable.

Room: The concept of duplex hotel room is rather new to me. The room I had looks modern and trendy but is definitely not suitable for families with kids. It’s a very clever design to maximise space, with total size of not more than 25sqm. The room I was in was a Premium Loft, which in size is bigger than the lower category Studio Loft. Small toilet and shower room on two sides of the entrance followed by the only basin in the room next to a small pantry. Right opposite the sink is your open wardrobe and luggage compartment. A two-seater sofa set right next to it and a writing table on the wall. A wooden staircase takes you to the mezzanine level that consists of a queen size bed and a tiny bedside table, which has space only for the hotel phone – I had to put my mobile phone and book in the drawer and water bottle on the floor. There is a 1m high glass divider next to the bed to stop you falling into the room below. If you have a fear of heights, this room is not for you!

Amenities: This is a Millennium brand hotel, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, hand soap and bathrobes are all in place. The not-so-clean carpet didn’t have obvious dirt on it but it just didn’t feel clean. It would be really nice if the hotel provided room slippers in the future. Having the toilet, shower room and washing basin separated and the towels on the top shelf in the living area, it was definitely a challenge for me to fully utilise the small bathmat provided. Towels are suitable for anyone shorter than 1.6m and weighing less than 50kg. If you want to have your shirts and dresses hung up, you need to take your own hangers as there are only 2 hangers supplied and they were holding the bathrobes.

Safe: There was a safe box well hidden under the small pantry beside the washing basin. Rather spacious and modern except for the fact that it didn’t work. Called the front desk for help but it didn’t arrive, someone might have come while I was out but I didn’t notice any message. Oh and the fact that I was there for 6 nights should have made life quite easy for anyone to leave a message. Anyway, I’m glad I had a lock for my suitcase.

Housekeeping: I can’t really blame the housekeepers for not doing their job right. The room is just too difficult to keep dry, vacuuming won’t help to get rid of the moisture on the carpet as it continuously gets damp again the moment you have your shower. Also I extended my stay for one night to check out on Sunday and this was confirmed on Thursday. To my disappointment, when I returned to my room on Saturday night the room was not made up.

Breakfast: Having tasted the food in many hotels in Asia, I was looking forward to the breakfast but I finished my plate in less than 10 minutes including coffee!
Luckily I found found a gem right opposite the Studio M Hotel – The Book Café offers breakfast ranging from muesli & banana to eggs of different styles and proper cooked breakfasts. Varieties of coffee are available. They also serve lunch and dinner. Its atmosphere is calm and peaceful mocking a library with bookshelves and comfy sofa sets on one side and tables on the other, also provides outdoor seating. Locals frequent the café as a quiet studying area, business meeting place and ladies gathering point.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank feichinkaw
StudioMHotel_SG, Hotel Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear “feichinkaw”,

Thank you for sharing with us on your recent stay experiences at Studio M Hotel.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.

We are sorry to hear that the facilities did not meet up to your expectations. However your kind compliments on the hotel services will continue to motivate our employees towards enhancing the high standards of our hotel services.

Thank you for your valuable patronage. If I can assist with your next stay, please provide us with your email at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com so that I could arrange your next visit.

New England
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed in the Studio M during a seven-day business trip to Singapore in August 2014. I had previously stayed there once before in the previous year and was quite pleased, but I was not so pleased this time.

Some basics: the hotel is located in Robertson Quay along the Singapore river. This area is popular with expats and is full of lively coffee shops and restaurants, but the area itself is pretty pricey- better food may be had elsewhere for less. Robertson Quay is inconvenient to the MRT (subway); it's about a ten minute walk downriver to Clarke Quay station. This will be alleviated in 2017 by the new downtown line, but until then, it's a long walk.

The hotel has some nice features. There is a lovely second floor deck with swimming pool and the breakfast area is delightful. Rooms have a contemporary esthetic that some will love, and others perhaps not. Staff are almost always attentive, polite, and helpful.

But there are some downsides, espeically given the hotel's rather high price (over $200 SG for a basic room when I stayed there.) First is the Wi Fi. It is simply awful. I had serious problems getting on the Wi Fi almost my entire stay- I eventually decamped to the cafe across the street even for basic emailing. There was many a time- whether night, afternoon, or morning- when I could not get on the wi fi at all or it was so slow as to be useless. Poor wi fi is absolutely inexcusable in Singapore, and it alone accounts for the three stars I gave this hotel.

A second downside is the room itself. The rooms are quite small- as a result they are quite clearly getting banged up by use. Scuffed walls, worn carpet, a bit of peel in the shower, etc. reflect the hard use given by users of these tiny spaces. Studio M needs to upkeep better in order for the tiny rooms not to become a bit dingy. To boot, my toilet dripped almost all the time- and since it was about 2 meters away it was a sound I could hear all night long. And the maid service was often quite late; sometimes only in late afternoon. I understand Singapore has a labor shortage; but this should not be the hotel guest's problem!

A third downside is transportation. With the MRT far away, one is reliant on the trusty and low-cost Singapore taxi- as are all the other hotel users. Be ready for taxi queues at busy times (early AM, evening weekends), and be prepared to wait quite a bit, as the hotel is not huge and there is therefore not a queue of taxis waiting. The hotel also charges $3 to call a taxi- this may be the real charge but it is pretty insulting when one is paying $200 plus and having to wait for cabs. Absorbing this cost would be a big service plus to hotel guests.

There is a lot of hotel competition in Singapore, even with the high prices. Studio M will have to perk up a little to keep its audience- including me. Next time I come to Singapore, I'll look at the range of hotel prices and amenities available before considering Studio M again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dinornis
Dear “dinornis”,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience at Studio M Hotel.

We are indeed sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations. Your feedback is highly appreciated and important in helping the hotel improve and strive towards enhancing the overall standards of our hotel services.

Thank you for your patronage and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again. If you could be so kind as to provide us with your email contact at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com , I will personally attend to the requirements of your next visit.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 27 August 2014

i stayed for 4 nights in august 2014 , small and cozy , good breakfast , close to clarke quay , 10 mins walk to mrt , the hotel accommodated my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids )in a premier loft in one room , it was a squeeze with small kids but good , lots of restaurants around the hotel , very good pool , at this price this was the best i could find but well worth it , staff was friendly ,will recommend it ,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear “kaps691”,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at Studio M Hotel.

The satisfaction and comfort of our valued guests' stay is of utmost concern to us. Your valued feedback will help us to improve on the overall standards of our hotel services, towards delighting our guests.

Thank you for your valuable patronage. I would highly appreciate if you could provide us with your email at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com so that we could arrange your next visit.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for a long weekend away, the location is excellent with some great cafes, restaurants and bars all within walking distance. It’s also very easy to get a taxi at any time which was convenient.

The hotel was clean and a different layout which was cool, service was also very good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear “Chris G”,

Thank you for your positive review during your recent stay at Studio M Hotel.
We are really pleased to hear that you had a positive and enjoyable stay experience with us!

Thank you for your valuable patronage and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with your email at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com so that we could arrange your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the loft apartment for 1 night to celebrate my friend's birthday.

The service from the reception and housekeeping crew was good. We waited until 530pm before we could checkin. And there were alot of people waiting as well. So be prepared to keep your next day free because they will be offering late checkout until 4pm at least! Coffee and tea at the lounge was complimentary and their latte is pretty good so no complaints!

The loft apartment had 2 levels, bed on the lower deck. Small and cosy. WC was separate from the shower room. Not much space to manoeveur. Room was pretty clean.

All in all recommended for those who are seeking a short staycation with family and friends. Though do not invite too many as theres not enough space!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
StudioMHotel_SG, Hotel Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear “ceciruan”,

At Studio M we are totally committed to delivering consistent high standards of guest services and thank you for your valuable patronage. If I can be of personal assistance to your next stay, please contact us at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com .

Singapore
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We like the layout of the room but the bath and toilets are too small. The room is not suitable for people with young kids or elderly.

During breakfast, we had to grab a table as there was no service staff and the whole place was very crowded.

The location is inconvenient and there are very few parking lots at the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HPJ1
StudioMHotel_SG, Hotel Manager at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear “HPJSingapore”,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience at Studio M Hotel.

We are indeed sorry to hear that the breakfast service did not meet up to your expectations. Your comments on the facilities are duly noted. We apologise for the inconveniences encountered.

We will reiterate to our employees, in ensuring that our scheduled shuttle services and current alternative car parking are prominently displayed and notified to our valued guests.

Thank you for your valuable patronage. If I can assist with your next stay please provide us with your email at Feedback.SMH@millenniumhotels.com so that I could arrange your next visit