“Definitely something to try at least once”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #40 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at the Marina Bay Sands for 3 nights on our way to Thailand, after paying only a few dollars for an airfare from Malaysia. I was excited to stay at the Marina Bay sands, as I had seen the making of the building on Discovery Channel, and looked at it as a dream when I watched, not realizing that I would get the opportunity to stay.
I booked the cheapest room through a third party online hotel site, which was still cheaper than any of the specials that were offered directly through the hotel.
When we arrived at Singapore airport, we located the free shuttle bus service fairly easily, and were relieved to be taken in a huge air-conditioned coach direct to the hotel, free of charge. It was also a nice added touch that the bus had free Wi-Fi internet, (which I am sure was meant for their check-in process), so I was able to use this to check facebook etc on our drive to the hotel (although there were lovely views along the way to see).
I had read about the check-in service on the bus, but since we arrived around 1pm, and only had a few people on the bus, I assumed this was not being used, as it was not busy enough.
It was amazing seeing the hotel for the first time out the huge window of the bus (best view on the left hand side of the bus), and made the last few minutes of the trip very exciting, knowing that we would soon be inside.
The bus dropped us off in the basement of the building, and we went up the escalator to the foyer to check in.
One problem I faced was that we were unsure which tower we were booked into, as our booking confirmation did not show this. We found the foyer to be rather overwhelming at first, and wandered up and down the length (quite far) trying to find someone who could tell us where to go.
We found a check-in counter, and discovered that we were in Tower 3 (as tower 1 appears to be the expensive suites, and they have bell boys offering to take your bags etc). Given that we had only paid for the cheap rooms, we didn’t have anyone offer to take our bags, and we walked to the other end of the building to check-in at the other (poor person’s) counter – hehe.
The check-in was quick and easy, and the staff spoke good English. The only problem I had was understanding how the bar fridge worked, as the concept she was explaining to me made no sense.
However, when we got to our room (on the 47th floor, facing the ocean) I looked in the bar fridge, and understood the sensor plates in the door and shelves which meant that you would be charged for anything you lifted out of the fridge. It made it quite annoying that you couldn’t fit anything else in the fridge, including the free bottled water that they gave you each day, as I like to drink cold water.
Despite this small issue with the fridge, the room was amazing. Huge comfortable King bed with many pillows, large flat screen TV with a lot of channels, including interactive hotel features. The bathroom was very spacious, and had a huge sliding door (which made it quite strange when you just wanted to use the toilet), and there was a desk with a chair and a lounge and coffee table.
The curtains that lead out to the small balcony were automatic (controlled by a button next to the door) and the hotel offered free Wi-Fi throughout, which was pretty good (speed and reliability).
We were amazed at the sky garden and infinity pool, and spent most of our time up there, even at night when it was too cold to be in the water, as the view was amazing. It was good to have fresh towels given to you each time you visited the pool, and it was never too busy for us, so we always found a sun lounge to sit on, even when tour groups continually came through (as they were usually made to stay away from the pool and lounge chairs)
Being a guest of the hotel allowed you access to the sky garden and look out area, as long as you showed your room key each time you passed security. They were very careful to check you were authorized, so be prepared to be asked to show your room card a number of times (which didn’t bother me, as it made me feel like I was in some exclusive club – hehe)
The pool was open late each night (approx. 11pm close) so you could go for a late swim, unless there was lightening (which we had on one night).
On one night we went to a restaurant on the roof, which had a chocolate buffet from 8pm to midnight. This was a must do for any chocoholics, which was heaven for me (although I didn’t manage to get through too many things, since they were so rich and delicious).
We did not eat at any of the restaurants for breakfast, lunch or dinner due to the price. However, we did go exploring in the adjoining shopping centre, and ate in the food court a few times. We also explored the area (via train) and visited another, more affordable shopping centre, where we ate in the food court.
The surrounding area had the Singapore flyer (large observation wheel) which was interesting to try (although the sky park is much higher and better views), and a shopping centre, convention centre and museum. The shopping centre had very high end fashion etc, which we were not interested in, so we walked through a number of times each day on our journey, without going into the stores. However, given that the underground train was underneath the hotel, and was cheap and easy to navigate, it was very simple to explore the city and visit other areas, such as little India and China town.
During our stay, we also went to Universal Studios (sentosa island) and Singapore Zoo, for breakfast with orangutans, both highly recommended activities. The zoo was a group tour, but universal studioes was a short taxi ride and reasonably priced entry ticket.
Checkout at the hotel was quick and easy, as we used the function through the television, which charged any extras to our credit card automatically. We then dropped our room keys in the box in the foyer, and made our way to the airport bus in the basement, which left every 30 mins.
Overall, this hotel was the nicest place I have stayed in my life, in all of the places I have been in the world. Although it was expensive, I think it is worth paying to treat yourself to something a little fancy. I usually prefer accommodation to be much cheaper, and include things like breakfast, but I was happy to pay this higher amount to have the sky park and fancy room, knowing that I was staying somewhere I probably wont get to stay again.
Some people have suggested to stay at a cheaper hotel, and pay to visit the sky park. This is an option, however nothing beats getting into your swimmers and taking the lift a few levels to the pool at night, watching the laser light show over the edge in the bay below, or having a dip while waiting for breakfast to be delivered to your sun lounge.
I am happy to provide any extra information that I can.
Happy Travels

Room Tip: Obviously the higher the better. Rooms will either be ocean view or city view, which are both excell...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Aaronlangton
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Aaronlangton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experiences with us.

I regret to learn about the challenge you and your partner experienced with regards to locating the check-in counter.

I would like to request for more information for us to review this for our improvement. I have sent you a private message and I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (23,179)

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in December 2011 with my husband and baby. The room we got was quite large and luxurious since it was quite new. Loved the huge bathtub in the bathroom. We had a room on a high floor so got a great view of the Gardens by the Bay (which was still under construction) and the sea.

We visited the pool but we didn't like that it was not heated, my baby was shivering before we even touched the water because it was a cold and windy day and it didn't help that the pool was on top of MBS with no protection from the elements.

The buffet breakfast at the restaurant was okay.

The bad thing about the hotel because it is together with a casino, there is a lot of cigarette smoke in the lobby/shopping areas. My baby and I fell sick on the 2nd day unfortunately and that made our stay a little less enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Thank you for your review, vs1128.

I am disappointed to learn that your stay with us last year was not a complete success and I regret to hear that you and your baby fell ill on the second day.

I note your feedback on the unpleasant odor at the Lobby and The Shoppes. I would like to assure you that we have stringent cleaning standards and we continue to maintain optimal air quality throughout the casino by pumping fresh air into the non-smoking space.

The comfort of our product and environment we offer to our valued guest are important to us and I hope that you and your family will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands for a more successful stay in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We recently stayed in MBS for one night. Our room at 49th floor is spacious (47 square meter) with modern décor. The bathroom is big as well, with separate shower room and toilet in addition to a full-size bathtub. The room offers a panoramic view of the Marina Bay and City. We watched the 15-minute fountain show from our room. The show was not impressive; it cannot be compared with that in Bellagio in Las Vegas. The SkyPark on the top of the building (at a height of about 150 meter) is very unusual. You can dip in the outdoor pool or Jacuzzi and enjoy the scenery. Opposite the MBS is a big shopping mall (The Shoppes), a casino and a convention/exhibition center. A subway station is next to MBS and can be reached through an underground hallway. The other side of MBS faces the sea, and you can have a good look at the Gardens by the Bay (to be opened to public on 29 June). The hotel appeared to be fully booked. A couple in front of us at the check-in counter was told that room was not available for walk-in guests. It is advisable to book the room well in advance. Checking-in took a rather long time; only three check-in counters were operational when we checked in at 3:45 p.m. Nevertheless, we enjoyed celebrating our anniversary at MBS.

Room Tip: Book a premier room with city view to enjoy the panoramic view. Premier rooms are on 19th floor and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear suathong, thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary at Marina Bay Sands.

It is always a pleasure for us to be a part of our guests’ special occasions and I am glad to hear that you and your loved one had an enjoyable stay with us.

I regret to learn that you did not enjoy Wonder Full, our nightly light and water spectacular. Wonder Full is best viewed from the Event Plaza at the Promenade. It tells the story of humanity and emotions and brings audiences on a journey of life and its innocence, wonder, drama, change, enduring love and commitment.

Rest assured that we are continuously reviewing our check-in processes for improvement to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay with us.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope to welcome you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I'm a Singaporean and I bring my family for hotel staycation regularly. I must say that Marina Bay Sands Hotel is the worst experience I had. And I must say that it is a disgrace to the country.

I reached the hotel at 2.45 hrs and waited at the VIP lounge until 3.30 pm for me turn. There were not many people in front of me in the queue but the checking in process was just horrendously long. The receptionist took about 20 min per customer. That was not the worst. I was told that my room was not ready (even when the checking in time was supposed to be 3 pm) and it would only be ready after 1.5 hours. The receptionist then offered to give me a guest room while I wait. I appreciated that as we were carrying a few bags and I have a 10 month old infant with me. To my horror, the guest room was a shared room and there were 6 persons inside. There were no enough sofas for us all to sit hence I had to go to the balcony. There was also a Thai man who was sick, lying on a sofa. I really pity him as he was there before we came in. At 4.30 pm, I could not wait any more and I went back to the reception to ask for my room. To my horror (again), the receptionist asked me to queue all over again (which meant another 45 mins of waiting)! I refused to as I told him that I had already he checked in, I merely wanted to get my room keys. He grudgingly served me and gave me the keys.

We then walked all over the hotel to find our room. There was nobody to direct us. The receptionist also did not show us the direction when I collected my keys. When i asked a lady for direction, she pointed in some general direction which led us to the wrong tower, carrying all our bags and my baby girl. It took us 20 min to get to the right room.

We finally reached our suite at 5 pm. And the sick Thai man was still in the guest room waiting for his room to be ready. When I reached the suite, it was a huge disappointment. The room was plain for a five star hotel. The room was also not properly cleaned. There were rubber bands and bits of papers on the floor. The carpet near the washroom was also damp. The worst was, there was no capsules for coffee maker! So I called room service to ask for a full set of capsules. A Chinese-national came with three capsules, did not say a word and left. A full set should have 6 capsules. I am not picky with the number of capsules but the service was just too terrible especially when I was staying in a suite and that was supposed to be VIP priority service! So I called room service again to ask for a full set, the lady over the phone said "I have told them to send the capsules to you already". I said a man did gave me the capsules but I expected a full set. She started to sound unhappy and said she would ask the man to deliver to me again in a sarcastic tone. When the (same) man came, I showed him the empty box and I said (in english) that I want a full set, he replied in Chinese "that is not my responsibility, I only deliver goods" and walked away. The was TERRIBLE!

At 7 pm, we realised that the receptionist did not give us the document stating our privileges so we went down to ask for it only to realize that we were entitled to a complimentary tea and also cocktail which we both missed. I made a complain at 8 pm and the manager compensated us with $100 worth of in-room dining.

All in all, it was a terrible experience and I will never go back there again. My experience at Fairmount, M Hotel, Amara Sanctuary Resort, Oriental Hotel etc. are much much better.

What really put me off was the terrible service. The hotel used too many Chinese-nationals who were rude and they do not speak English. I have nothing again the Chinese-nationals in general but the ones I had contact with in MBS were just not up to the job.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank BugandHun

Dear Buggy H, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am concerned to learn that you and your family did not enjoy your recent staycation with us. We want to focus on the specific areas to improve on and would like to request for information from you.

I have sent you a private message and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and found it very hard to fault, other than very busy.
From the complimentry bus trip from the airport on which they did a patial check in which made checking in a breeze to the room that was huge with great views.
we had a Orchid suite room with views of the city from one side and the sea which was on the other "very nice"
The hotel resturants were nice but we choose to eat out for supper which is always a pleasure in singapore.
Check out is made easy with their express checkout and once again used the complimentry bus to the airport.
A lovely stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review, BruceBruce13.

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay in one of our Orchid Suites and had a smooth check-in and check-out. Marina Bay Sands is indeed a bustling hive of activity and there is a definite buzz as you walk around the property.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back soon!

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Book a night to celebrate my wife birthday last year. Since I am using corporate rate, the price was reasonable and I topped up for a city view. Requested a higher floor but instead I got a middle floor instead which is kinda disappointing. The check-in experience was reasonable good, the counter staff speak good english and generally friendly throughout the session but kinda of slow in processing. Nevertheless, My little girl is entertained and happy when she was given a stalk of flower.
The room is clean and tidy which is what I am expecting since it is new and supposedly a high-end hotel. We went to the sky pool and disappointed that we are unable to swim due to rain but even without the rain, the pool is extremely crowded. Instead we stroll around the pool and park to capture the excellent view of Singapore skyline. But everywhere is full of people which I think kinda of expected given the size of the hotel and its attraction.
The only other complain I have is the food. I have experience not good food during attending events at the convention center but I still give it a try for its breakfast (which does not comes with the room package but require TOP UP!) but ended up very disappointed with its spread and quality given the price we pay for it.

The pillows and bed are generally comfortable and at least I got good nite sleep.

Anyway .. my family and I still enjoy the stay with the excellent City View

Room Tip: City View and Higher Floor is a MUST!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear DracoLam, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are always delighted to be a part of our guests’ special occasions and I am glad to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable birthday celebration with us last year.

I regret to learn that our breakfast spread did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef for his attention.

Thank you again for your review. I hope to welcome you and your family back to Marina Bay Sands soon for more memorable experiences.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I don't know how someone can call it an Amazing Hotel,It has tobe who paid nothing for their rooms that is why they have to write somthing nice. you really have tobe there to experiences it ,Lobby looks like A Railway Station and it took my friends more then an hour to get their rooms when the check in time was at 3 they did not even get into their room till after 4pm,
and Omg the infinity pool is like being in a public pool nothing like the pictures i see where there is maybe 5-6 people in the pool being the sunday give and take you might have 20-25 people but NO it was like 50-60 the only nice about this hotel is the Rooms and the View from the room and watching the Lazer Show, everything else is a NO NO

Room Tip: It is not worth your money the hotels in Vegas are worth your money ,so if you Gamble stay in a anot...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monika C

Dear Monika C, I am disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.

I apologize for the delay and inconvenience during check-in to our Hotel. We are continuously looking at ways to improve the check-in process, particularly during peak periods and weekends, and implemented initiatives such as adding counters for check-in in various areas of the lobby and reviewing the systems for improvement.

Rest assured that we are continuously reviewing other ways to better manage the crowds on property to ensure that our guests have a warm and comfortable stay.

Thank you again and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you and your friends back to Marina Bay Sands in the future.