“Impressive hotel, but lacks the personal touch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #33 of 309 Hotels in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“Impressive hotel, but lacks the personal touch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

As frequent visitors to Singapore, we wanted to try out the MBS during a family holiday. We normally stay for business and pleasure at the St. Regis or Hilton on Orchard Road. We booked 3 rooms about 6 months in advance and expressively requested connecting rooms as our children are still young. Despite confirmation by the hotel, the requested rooms were not available at check in. The receptionist did not really know what to do and asked her supervisor to help. After a whole lot of discussion during which we were offered different rooms which were all not connecting, they offered us to stay in one of the suites on the 51st floor. This was a nice gesture and admittedly way over the top. It was a 2 bedroom suite with large living room, kitchen, fitness and massage room and two large ensuite bathrooms.this all with great views across the city. These are the kind of suites where high rollers are put up during their visit to the casino. After a total check in duration of 3 hours, we did accept this room for our 3 night stay.
The hotel itself is beautiful albeit rather impersonal. This applies from the check in through to departure and it does feel a bit like an airport. The Skypark with the large infinite swimming pool is impressive with views across Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. The pool is however heavily used both by hotel guests and external visitors who pay 30 SGD as entry fee. This makes it rather crowded and dirty at times. The pool is therefore a good one off experience, but does not warrant a long term stay in the hotel.
Overall, we found our stay in MBS a very pleasant one due to the significant upgrade. On our next visit, we will probably choose for one of the Orchard Road precinct hotels as they are better located from the favourite Singapore pastime: shopping.

Room Tip: City side and a high floor for the excellent views.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Frits d
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for your review, FdV62.

I regret to hear that you experienced challenges during check-in with regards to your requested room. We always do our best to accommodate our guests’ requests for preferred room types when we have the rooms available. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade to one of our Suites.

I am sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by the crowds up on the SkyPark. With regards to your comment, the infinity pool is for the exclusive use of our hotel guests only. We understand that the infinity pool is a popular choice for our hotel guests to wind down, and the privacy of our guests is of highest priority to us. As such, one of our ongoing initiatives has been to offer guided tours to our SkyPark Public Observation Deck visitors to view the Pool and the Gardens at 10am, 2pm and 9pm daily.

I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you and your loved ones back to stay with us in the near future to experience more of the multi-dimensional offerings we have for our valued guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,134)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I booked this hotel because of the Skypark access and the infinity pool in skypark didn't disappointed me. Went on Sunday evening, lots people but not pack.

My check in was fast on Sunday afternoon around 2pm. the front desk staff told me I can get krisflyer miles by staying in their hotel, but I haven't receive it until now. Room is spacious and comfortable.

Had dinner in Db bistro - both thumbs up. Had the burger during my last trip, it was one of the best. Kudeta on the skypark will be the perfect place for a drink after your dinner.

Casino - nicer than the other 1

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

What more do you want. As soon as we got out of our taxi we were met by the extremely friendly and helpful staff. We had a room upgrade to a suite and just wow. The sky park pool and bar offer the best view of singapore. Several amazing restaurants mean you can try different cuisines without leaving the precinct. The bars offered some of the best cocktails i've ever tasted. Add the shops (little out of my price range) and the casino you can spend several days here and never have to step outside

• Stayed July 2012
Dear anthony p,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed your room upgrade to one of our Suites.

I am especially heartened to hear that our Team Members’ friendly dispositions left an impressive mark on you. Service is a top priority for us and it is through feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously upgrade our service touch points on our journey to service excellence.

We offer a variety of culinary experiences to cater to our guests from all around the world. I am happy that you had the opportunity to dine at some of our restaurants and to try the cocktails.

I look forward to welcome you back to stay with us at Marina Bay Sands for more successful visits.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Reminded me of a Las Vegas hotel. Big and beautiful with below average service. Room service was late and messed up order. Long lines at check in and check out. Asked them to press a few things and they rush dry-cleaned most of my stuff and charged me for it. Still have not figured out the right person who will "try" to credit me - been bounced around again and again. On other hand, if you are looking for a casino hotel and don't care about the service - not a bad choice. Service can be so great in Singapore so this hotel suffers by comparison.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ObjectiveRater
Dear ObjectiveRater,

I am disappointed to learn about the challenges you experienced which may have marred your otherwise pleasant stay. Please be assured that your recent experience is not the standard we wish to adhere to at Marina Bay Sands.

I have sent you a private message and I look forward to hearing from you so that we can investigate and improve on the details that you have provided feedback on. Thank you.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Stayed 2 nights and were disappointed by the service. Some examples: Arrival: No bell boy available = take your luggage by your own out of the taxi, Long (15-20 min) waiting queue, then got a smoker's room (which we could change after another 15 min. wait)
Skypark: If you want to order a beer and some french fries you have to wait and wait and wait. (not yet even high season...)
Concierge service was fine and the pool is a must have seen/experienced!
PS: rooms are not good isolated.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A O
Dear A O,

Thank you for taking the time to articulate the details of your recent stay with us. I am concerned to learn about the challenges you experienced with regards to our service standards which may have marred your otherwise pleasant visit. Please be assured that your recent experience is not the standard we wish to adhere to at Marina Bay Sands.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I've stayed here for one night... mainly just to find out what the fuss is about. The pool is spectacular, the gym is big and quiet and the breakfast was surprisingly good. The junior suite is super big and has everything you need, including luxurious toiletries.

It's impressive how such a big hotel is operated. Finding your way is pretty easy too. The proximity of all the shops is helpful. In room dining quality was not great. I'm not sure if I would stay here again, it's just very big and I personally prefer slightly smaller hotels. But it's worth trying at least once!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, LiveLikeNoTomorrow.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room stay in one of our Suites as well as your time at the Sands SkyPark.

I regret to hear that you experienced challenges with regards to our In-Room dining service. We are keenly aware of the need to continue to be receptive to guest feedback and to refine our processes. Please be assured that we have shared your comment with our In-Room Dining department for their review and attention.

I value your patronage and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us soon to experience more of what we have to offer.
Nice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

This hotel is very good but very busy. Next time I would pick something quieter, athough there is nothing that I can fault about the hotel otherwise.It was a nice stay. Maybe a bit too far from Orchard rd but then I am being picky! Sky Park is wonderful!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear mina,

I am happy to hear that you had a pleasant visit and enjoyed your time at the Sands SkyPark. With regards to crowd management, we are constantly looking at ways to enhance the experience for our guests while minimizing inconveniences caused by the large crowds.

I look forward to welcome you and your loved ones back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future to experience more that our property has to offer.