“Great stopover”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #41 of 317 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 5 November 2012

If you have seen photographs of the Marina Sands you will agree it is impressive! Once you arrive you will be more than impressed, the architectural design is stunning. We had booked an expensive room, but after being taken to the VIP check in we were upgraded to a huge 90sqm apartment, all mod cons. Inside the building is a shopping mall, with all the expected expensive watch and jewellery shops, and a casino, plenty of eating outlets. The staff were unbelievable, approachable and very friendly, understandably, the Singaporeans can show us how it should be done, albeit, many imigrants are working in the hotel, but have been well trained. I could go on but, if you are flying to Europe from Oz then do consider this hotel on a stopover.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the city.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for this great review, sunset079.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your room upgrade and I am especially heartened to learn that our Team Members made your stay a warm and comfortable one. It is our goal to create once-in-a-lifetime experiences for our guests and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

As expected, the room, view and rooftop swimming pool were magnificent, but the little things irked, which should not be the case for a 5 star hotel.
We had a late check-out set at 1pm, so spent a last leisurely morning at the rooftop pool, returning to our room at 12.15. The room key had been disabled, so we had to wait 10 minutes in the passageway, in our swimwear and towels, for a security guard to come and open our door. He was polite and apologetic, saying that it was only a computer glitch. Fine, but I did check at 12.45, and our room key had not been re-activated.
Not a big deal, but not a 5 star response.
The room fridge is totally stocked with drinks, with no room to put anything of your own in it. If you remove anything from the fridge a sensor immediately bills you for it. Great automation for instant invoicing, but not good customer service. A 5 star hotel would either leave space for the guest to use, or provide a 2nd fridge for the purpose. We would have preferred to have our water bottles chilled before heading out to the adjoining "Gardens by the Bay", which are new and well worth the visit.
The lobby is narrow and can be very crowded. Rather than have breakfast, or any other meal in the cafes here, I highly recommend walking to the Rasapura food court in the attached magnificent shopping centre. In fact, there are so many great restaurants of every description in the shopping centre that there is no temptation to eat in the hotel at all.

The only reason to stay at this hotel is to have convenient access to the casino, malls and gardens. I would rate this a good but expensive 4 star hotel, in the right place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Dear Iant2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I regret to learn about the challenges you encountered during your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands which may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience.

I apologize for the inconveniences caused due to the keycard and I have shared your feedback with our Front Desk team for their attention. With regards to the mini-bar refrigerators, our sensor-operated refrigerators have been implemented as a form of billing convenience for mini-bar consumption. Guests are welcome to request for the mini-bar to be cleared, either for self-storage convenience or to avoid unnecessary charges incurred.

I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands in the future and regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had a wonderfull day at Marina bay Sands. I had waited for taxi at tower 3. During my waiting period, Mr Paul Raja (Staff Marina Bay Sands) turn up to me and offered his excellent service by explaining about free compliment which offered by Marina whereby its a free shuttle bus which straight goes to airport. Thanks to Mr Paul Raja for his excellent service and thanks to Marina for the compliments. I hope to see Mr Paul Raja again during my next visit soon.

Good luck and all the best

Regards

Dr Simon Coyne

Room Tip: Choose higher level rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Dear dr_simon_coyne,

Thank you for posting your comments here. We are proud to learn that our Team Member, Mr. Paul Raja, assisted in making your visit a warm and comfortable one.

As a result of your kind compliments, we are delighted to present Mr. Paul with a Grazie Award, a Marina Bay Sands Rewards and Recognition initiative we have for our Team Members, to celebrate their success in creating Magnificent experiences for our valued guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Bay Sands soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August this year with my family. We had booked and planned to stay for three nights but ended up only staying for one and going back to the Holiday Inn on Orchard Street (See my separate review on there) due to an incident where the bouncer at the nightclub on the roof of the hotel knocked my Dad's camera out of his hand and broke it and called the police on my dad just because he questioned why he couldn't go into the club (the bouncer said it was because he had shorts on) when girls were going in wearing short dresses. Obviously my Dad shouldn't have tried to argue with a bouncer, but the bouncer's response was unacceptable. The nightclub however isn't actually a part of the hotel, and the hotel were apologetic and refunded us for the one night we had stayed at the hotel, but my family didn't wish to stay any longer, I thought this was a shame as the hotel is beautiful.

Rooms:
We stayed in a standard room but on a higher floor (where you pay a little bit extra). It is worth paying a bit more for, the views were incredible! The rooms are extremely spacious and modern. Robes and slippers are included along with plenty of complimentary toiletries. No bath but the shower is very nice and huge! Room service breakfast was lovely.

Pool:
The pool is AMAZING. One of the best in the world. With views of the stunning Botanical Gardens on one side and the city on the other, it really is incredible.

Food:
We only had room service breakfast, but it was lovely, and they put on a very pretty spread for you.

Service:
The service could be improved. There was quite a wait for check in and obviously the whole bouncer incident could have been dealt with better.

Location:
The location is good but there are more central hotels in Singapore if you are looking to sight-see. The hotel has its own casino, mall, bars etc so you might not even want to leave! It's also quite close to Clarke Quay where there are plenty of shops, bars and restaurants.

Please feel free to message me if you have any queries on the hotel or Singapore in general.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Milly v
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

Fabulous experience staying here. Definitely has the WOW factor. Staff excellent. Attention to detail was exceptional. Views absolutely amazing. Well-equipped gym with superb equipment. Spacious rooms. Very comfortable beds and choice of pillows. Secure system in the lifts. Transfers to and from airport was super efficient. Only fault was the room air conditioning was slow to respond. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Anne1960
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Thank you for your fantastic review, Anne1960.

It is our goal to create once-in-a-lifetime experiences for our guests and I am thrilled to learn that our Team Members contributed to making your stay a warm and comfortable one.

I have shared your comments on the guestroom air-conditioning with our Facilities team for their review.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We first visited Marina Bay Sands when it was nearing completion and although enjoying the architecture were not impressed by the complex. We visited again this year and found it to be grandiose, but not representative of what we love about Singapore.

Leaving aside the hotel and casino we spent some time in the shopping mall attached to them. As you would expect there are a good number of expensive brands with outlets in the mall, but also some shops catering for those with less demanding tastes. One novelty is the canal which is enclosed in part of the mall which left me wondering if I was in Singapore or Las Vegas.

If you like shopping for expensive shoes and hand bags, like playing golf at the club, and diamond jewellery then the Marina Bay Sands may be just the place for you. For people with more austere tastes there are far more interesting and truly "Singaporean" places to go and things to do.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew U

To all the helping staff on October 22nd at Tower 2 of Marina Bay Sands:

Here I write to thank all the staff and personnel who gave their enormous help and service that solved my problem during my stay last month.
It's by all means an afternoon to remember within my hotel experiences.

All Names of staff below deserve to be greatly honored:

Miss Alice Wong
Miss Tang Dang
Miss Huang Ying
Miss Lu Xia
Miss Evon
Mr. Huang Lei

The trouble happened in the early morning because of my lethargy by the Flu and soon it became to a certain level that I cannot deal with by myself alone.
The first helping hand came to me was from Miss Tang Dang.

I can't praise her outstanding effort enough.
She herself tried so hard to make the thing turn on a brighter side.
And then along came Miss Huang Ying, Miss Lu Xia, Miss Evon, and Mr. Huang Lei.
With their tremendous exertion, my problem was finally fixed.
What I am trully touched was, to my knowledge, the time they spent in my room supposed to be their off-duty.

At the same time I would like to emphasize the successful leadership of Miss Alice Wong.
I believe She has accomplished leading a team that works together well and always be willing to do more for the customers, which,in my idea, become the most important value to a hotel at your level.
Marina Bay Sand is really lucky to have such great staff and personnel in both management team and front line staff.
I will be very glad to book in again, if I may, in the future and introduce my friends to stay in your hotel.

Best Regards,
Eugene Chou
05/Nov./2012

Room Tip: Must Select the City-View Room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eugene C

Dear Eugene C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here. There is no greater satisfaction than receiving kind words from a valued guest and I am happy to learn that our Team Members contributed to making your visit to Marina Bay Sands a comfortable one.

As a result of your kind compliments, we are delighted to present Miss Alice Wong, Miss Tang Dang, Miss Huang Ying, Miss Lu Xia, Miss Evon and Mr. Huang Lei with Grazie Awards, a Marina Bay Sands Rewards and Recognition initiative we have for our Team Members, to celebrate their success in creating Magnificent experiences for our valued guests.

Thank you again for your kind compliments and I hope to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands soon.