“In desperate need of Singaporean Organisation”
Review of Marina Bay Sands

Marina Bay Sands
Ranked #35 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“In desperate need of Singaporean Organisation”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Sorry, we didn’t get any further than check-in (15h00), as after one hour of queuing we’ve finally been told that a) our reserved Horizon rooms weren’t ready and b) the requested and confirmed city view rooms were no more available.
(Reservation made and confirmed 4 weeks in advance)

As we had no intention to pay SGD 2500.00 for sea view rooms missing National Day Parade we cancelled and left this highly overrated Hotel.

What a disgrace for Singapore’s highly valued customer satisfaction policy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank easyTravel08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,225)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 8 August 2010

By right, we stayed at the Sands thrice as we received free room vouchers from them, therefore, I am unable to rate the value. My review is based on the latest trip, in which we stayed at Tower Two, although all the towers are practically the same. The main purpose of the third-trip was due to my birthday, held today (on the day of my review), although we would still have gone anyway.

Checking-in was horendous. My father had to wait there for TWO hours, thus, we took a taxi there only at four. We had similar complaints during our second stay. Eventually, we were cleared and went up to our room on the 27th floor. One thing I noticed was the we were always booked around the 27th floor. If I'm not wrong, my second stay was ALSO at the second floor.

The interior of the hotel was amazing, and above standard. The corridors were the same as in every other hotel, although, if you are somewhere between the 4th to the 26th floor, you could look down to the lobby. There's a glass panel, so at the least, the hotel made me feel safe.

The room was much bigger than our previous two stays. It must be a premier room, and it did not upset me one bit. All amenties were provided, including a sewing kit, which was not available in other hotels. We had twin-sharing beds and a rest-chair. We pushed the beds so it was side-by-side, which was a good thing. The rest-chair acts as a bed, too. The view from our room was great too; we could see Singapore just like from the SkyPark.

I had mixed feelings about the bathroom. The shape of the bath was quite unique in a sense, and the soap had ovals sticking out, so it acts as a massager too. That was my favorite part of the hotel. Everything except the shower was good in the bathroom. I'll talk more about that later.

We went up to the SkyPark after settling down. As expected, it had a beautiful view of Singapore's skyline. The swimming pool was great, with waterproof pillows, beach-chairs in the water, and so forth and so on. Even though it was congested with people, it was still a great experience.

The only bad point was that no restaurants were open in the SkyPark, as with the whole hotel. The bar served heated food, that should be low-quality, although I had a big appetite at the time. We were all hoping for the restaurant to be opened, but to no avail.

We went back to our room and I had a shower. Now, it was my first time using the shower, as I had used the bath in my previous two trips. The shower was, well, horrible. Here are my complaints:

*It seemed that the floor was sandy, and that it was not cleaned.
*The water wasn't hot on my first try, but it was on the second.
*Only soap was provided in the shower cubicle, so I had to ask my father to get it for me. *The cubicle was quite big, so it was hard for the water to enter the drain.

I didn't feel all that clean when I exited the bathroom. How I wished I used the bath, which had an anti-slip mat installed onto the bath itself. What a weird hotel.

As mentioned, there is not much of a variety of food in the hotel. You can't find any other choice, since it would probably take a half-an-hour walk to the city to get food. You could only eat at the terrible food kiosks, which provided heated food and low-quality beverages. We decided to eat at Jin Shan, which provided Chinese cuisine. The food was not up to my expectations. I tasted better food elsewhere. Therefore, the only choice would be Rise, but its probably going to be congested like who knows what.

We went to the Kid's Club thereafter. Facilities extremely good, but service not that well. In Resorts World Sentosa, the Kid's Club did not have much facilities, but service was extremely good. It closes at ten, forcing parents to pick up their children while at the casino. Thats a letdown.

We later returned to our room and wanted to have a good night's sleep. Now, the blanket was quite thick, and it was hot. I had to toss and turn for around half an hour until I could get the right position. I even had to take off my clothes for a period of time, but whether with the blanket or not, its still going to be a hard night. I wanted to ask for in-room service, but it was late and I did not want to bother anyone.

We ordered in-room service. There was absolutely no choice. The waiter provided great service, asking questions and was very sincere. The breakfast was good and, the value was good, too. It cost $20 for a 'Two Farm Fresh Eggs' set, and was cheaper than other hotels. Speaking of ordering in-room service, the menu did not synchronize with the ordering form, so I felt intrigued and rated down for that.

We checked-out and waited for our car (we had valet parking). It took a TREMENDOUSLY LONG TIME. There were rumors that the manager himself is driving the car. My father commented that the hotel can't handle the crowd. We bought yogurt from Sweetspot, a desert store. The yougurt cost $7. They were practically cheating us of our money. When valet parking arrived, I was mad. Why did it take so long? We even had the idea of going back home by taxi, while my father waited for the car. Thankfully it came after forty minutes.

All in all, the hotel is suited to different tastes. Everything varies. Hard to rate, but eventually came up with threes stars due to the horrible valet parking, horrible shower and horrible check-in. Would I reccomend? Possibly not.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Alexander G
India
Reviewed 7 August 2010

If its the casino you are after, as well go to their sister hotel - Venetian in Macau. The Marina Bay Sands has several teething problems working against their reputation. Service quality is at best average. Room quality was reasonable. I would have greater expectations from a chain of their caliber.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank hgmoorthy
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Really Enjoyed my stay , my room, bathroom & service .. and the casino !!
The only really odd thing are the staring tourists passing by as the Rooftop Sands SkyPark is unique tourist attraction so while you by the pool you become a part of tourist attraction too !!
Oh And the fridge sensor charging like crazy !!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tonkaposh
Oskarshamn, Sweden
Reviewed 4 August 2010

After looking at the pictures we decided to take a chance even though the reviews were not good. We definitely should have listen to the reviews - bad check-in experience, no customer service, no help with luggage, lies told about their own service when asked, not knowledgeable, cheap standard on rooms, bad working TV, bad unfinished rooms, corridors, restrooms etc. Not all facilities are up and running and building work still ongoing. Staff not helpful at all, Even though we were a party of 6 people the other two rooms were not able to put anything on their rooms to pay later at check out - unbelievable - Not a 5 star service - Definitely would NEVER recommend Marina Bay - There are so many other hotels in Singapore that are so much better, Swiss, Pan Pacific, Mandarin Oriental to name a few

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Leif-Erik J
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Taking my husband for a surprise birthday night out, I was tossing up between Marina Bay Sands & the Fullerton Bay Hotel, I choose poorly.

From the moment we arrived it was like they were going out of their way to make our stay unpleasant. The valet (no self park), service was overwhelmed so we sat in the car, fighting the taxis for somewhere to wait. The bellmen managed to lose our bags for over an hour somewhere between the front door & check in. The girls at the counter were clearly out of their depth, even with 3 of them trying to check us in they messed up our reservation and sent us home again for our passports when it turns out we didn't need them.

Finally, back at the hotel, the room was a good size and the city view is nice, but it's really dark so I spent the stay searching for more lights so I could see the bottom of my suitcase. Waiting for ice for almost an hour felt like forever as the TV system is really limited, the music part doesn't work at all, the wifi was down and there is no ipad dock. The silence was deafening until we heard other guests shouting in the hall.

Sick of all the waiting, we gave up on the champagne in the room idea and tried to make the best of things. We headed up to the much vaunted Sky Park looking for a nice romantic spot to enjoy the sunset. No chance there, it was completely over-run with people, (less than 10% of the rooms were occupied so imagine how bad it will be with a few conferences in town). Turns out they were letting the Sky Park experience tourists in to the pool area, so there were hoards of camera toting people in shorts standing around shouting at each other. Understaffed and utterly unorganised, the food menu consists of BBQ crisps, Twisties and some cold wraps, clearly the F&B up there isn't finshed, but seriously Twisties as 1/3 of the menu options at a 5 star hotel?!?!? There was no music here either and the romance was fading faster than the light.

We then went to dinner at one of the new "celebrity chef" restaurants, (they are actually named this on the directional signage). This was a very poor shadow of it's sister restaurants worldwide & desperately needs some TLC from the man himself if it has any chance of surviving. To call it expensive is an understatement, but you are supposed to be paying for a Michelin Star experience; sadly it isn't even close to that at the moment.

Breakfast the next morning was the usual hotel buffet restaurant, but with 20 times the usual amount of tables and just one toaster and one egg station to service everyone. We gave up on the queues & found some average pastries. This is going to be disaster zone when conferences are on, so if you stay here on business be sure to get to breakfast at the crack of dawn, better still stay somewhere else & take a cab to the convention centre. Staff materialised and we were presented the check without asking for it, so took this as a firm hint that our 20mins of occupying the table was all the time we were getting.

Due to our earlier adventure, we didn't even bother trying to get help with our luggage from the room, but had to schlep it half a kilometre (no exaggeration the hotel foyer is huge), from tower 3 where we were staying, to tower 1 where the valet is to get our car back. Of course there is no valet pick up at the tower 3 entrance, that would be too logical and you would miss out on the cold feeling of final frustration as you sweat waiting, and waiting, for your car at the opposite end of the hotel. And they make hotel guests pay for parking.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank FreqTraveller72
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Swimming pool at sky park is open now. The experience at sky park was unforgettable. You should not miss the chance to swim at sky park. Only if you stay at hotel, you can go swim at sky park. However, the sky bar is still under construction. The bar looks like opening pretty soon, though.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple