“Fair condition / poor value”
Review of Pasir Panjang Inn

and 1 more site!
Pasir Panjang Inn
Ranked #289 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Overall, the condition of the hotel is worn and not a particularly good value for the price. My guess is most people stay here only because of close proximy to NUS / NUH / or the container shipping facility. Still, I cannot really recommend it to anyone - tourist, businessman, or student.

The non-smoking rooms quite naturally smell of stale smoke and have ashtrays in them. For S$20, you get an extra bed a.k.a. a worn mattress plopped on the floor. The beds did not have top sheets (you have to ask for them). The breakfast is minimal: toast, coffee or tea, choice of eggs, maybe some fruit. The towels are so thin you might mistake them for large gauze pads, which you may need after various insects get done chomping on you after your floor mattress slumber. Like other reviewers, I noted with bemusement the sign in the hallway warning of having "female guests" in rooms.

Something good to say: The internet connection and air conditioning worked. The rooms were an adequate size.

Transportation: The inn is about 150 m east of several restaurants and a 7-11 on Clementi Road. Bus service along Pasir Panjang Road takes you to the nearest MRT station, Haw Par Villa, 1.5 km to the east. There are also some surface parking spots for cars.

Normally, I would expect this to be the kind of place I like to stay at -- a worn but clean, affordable, friendly, family-run place. However, the reviews are accurate; the Pasir Panjang Inn just not a good value, which is too bad for everyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank PecosJoe

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here with a group of people visiting for a conference at nearby NUS. The hotel was chosen by the conference organizers for its proximity to the university and apparently it was only secured as a back up because the campus accommodations were full. I arrived with a colleague at around 11:30pm. There were two people behind the counter but it took us over 30 minutes to check in and receive our keys. The staff seemed confused by i) our reservation, ii) our credit cards, iii) the fact that we (I'm male, she is female) were staying in separate rooms, etc. The woman who who was doing most of the work was friendly enough, so the confusion and the delay can be forgiven. The poor service during the rest of the stay, however, cannot. The front desk staff were unfriendly and unhelpful during every interaction. Never a smile, please or thank you or any effort to help. The day before the conference I approached the reception desk to ask where I could print my presentation notes. The man behind the desk shrugged his shoulders, grunted and motioned as if to shoo me away. When I pushed him a bit more he said there may be a place around the corner. It's bad enough that the reception desk didn't offer to print the document for me. I would have paid, of course, and there was a printer on the desk right in front of me! But to not provide directions or the name of the printing business was a study in poor service. Every other time I approached the desk, usually to drop off or pick up the key that I left there when I went out, the staff seemed slightly annoyed.
The room was ok, It was fairly clean and spacious and somewhat typical of budget accommodations in SE Asia, but way more expensive than most. I just can't get over the poor service, especially in a small family-operated business.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank coolmillion
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My colleague & I were billeted here by our sponsor for a 3-day business trip since it was one of the nearest hotel from our training venue...It's definetely a BUDGET hotel!...The room was clean and the staff were pleasant though...but if you intend to be in SIngapore for shopping & sight-seeing, better find a place much nearer to the heart of the city....to save precious time that can be eaten away from travelling to & from this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank MiaGusto
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This hotel is not a budget businessman's hotel, but as the name tells, an inn.
The rooms are dirty and very shabby. There was a TV (without a remote control), a small refrigerator (empty) and a water heater for making coffee or tea (not provided). You also get provided with two small soaps and two very used small towels.
Most other guests are Malay or Indian container ship or oil workers.
The staff is very un-friendly, and the Chinese man in the reception doesn't want to speak English, although I heard him doing so several times to the rest of the staff.
I stayed here with my Indonesian wife (I am caucasian), and directly the hotel thought my wife was a prostitute and treated her with no respect at all (she does not dress in a sexy way). The day after a sign was put up at the elevator that "female guests in the rooms is not allowed". Directed against us, as I think my wife was the only woman in the hotel except for the staff.
Don't even bother to try the lousy breakfast.
The price is not that low either, you can find three slightly cheaper hotels just beside (e.g. Fragrance hotel) and in Chinatown there are many much cheaper hotels, which is also much more central.
I will never ever stay in this place again. Beware!

Room Tip: Walk into Fragrance hotel beside instead...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TotoM111
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel and I think it is excellent value for money. It is a budget hotel, so don't stay here if you want luxury. However if you want a clean hotel with a bed you can sleep in at a rate that is quite low for Singapore, then this is your place. I paid S$148 for a superior room. The bed was firm but I slept like a log. The room is quite large for Singapore and has a bathroom with full bath and stone appearance vanity bench and good standard basin and toilet. The shower was fine, water plentiful and hot. The towels are on the thin and well used side, but perfectly adequate. The walls are not thin, there was no problem with noise. Most importantly for Singapore, the air conditioning was very good. The room does not have tea and coffee making or an iron, but an iron was supplied on request by 8am, and the room does contain a jug so if you get your own coffee etc you can make your own coffee.

Breakfast is basic but adequate, basically toast and your choice of fried or scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage. Coffee is from a coffee machine, but the milk is powdered, not real.

The area is quite ok and ranges from upmarket apartment blocks to hotels that rent by the hour (draw your own conclusions what for!). Pasir Panjang has a sign in the foyer saying they do not rent by the hour, so while it is a budget hotel, it is not low class.

The hotel includes a cafe with very cheap meals up to 10pm, and there are half a dozen restaurants only 100 metres away in Clementi Road.

The hotel appears to be run by a family, which possibly explains why they maintain good basic standards. Service is friendly and good.

Location is good, next to the University, on bus routes, and not far from the CBD.

I can recommend this hotel. I see there are some negative reviews but if you look up "Pasir Panjang Guest House" (same place) you will see good reviews. As I said, don't come here expecting luxury, but do come here if you want good value for money and a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Superior room was excellent value for money.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Fred H
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The rooms are very basic. Only 2 rough towels are given and a few tiny soap bars, that's it!

The complimentary breakfast is white bread toast with jam and butter, and a choice of fried egg or fried rice.

The area is located in a quiet university suburb. There are halal restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank cooldoc1971
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Dilapidated room and bath, unhelpful and resource-less front desk, poor breakfast. Especially miserable in view of the fact that it is in the highly developed Singapore. It is by the National University of Singapore campus but far from the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business