“Good service, nice food”
Review of Candlenut

Candlenut
Ranked #407 of 10,933 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Asian, Singaporean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The world’s first Michelin-starred Peranakan restaurant, Candlenut takes a contemporary yet authentic approach to traditional Straits-Chinese cuisine. The restaurant serves up refined Peranakan cuisine that preserves the essence and complexities of traditional food, with astute twists that lift the often rich dishes to a different level. Helmed by chef Malcolm Lee, Candlenut is committed to continually create inspired and elevated Peranakan dishes using the freshest seasonal produce available.
Singapore, Singapore
“Good service, nice food”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Candlenut is quite popular and they are often full. A reservation is recommended. Service was polite and good - the attendants were helpful and we received service with a smile, which is a plus.

The food was quite expensive. $20 for a plate of rendang, which had about 4 medium pieces of beef. However, the meat was tender and melted in my mouth. It wasn't overly spicy either.

I also ordered the satay, which was 4 sticks for about $12. The meat again was flavourful and tender, not tough like the ones you get at Hawker stalls.

However, I did find the food a tad too salty and I couldn't find very many low salt, low spice options for my parents who are in their 60s.

Overall, Candlenut is a nice place to try good quality peranakan food.

• Visited August 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, poor service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We orderd a couple of the signature fares here and weren't disappointed as they were flavourful, though really spicy. The desserts here were good too, but I guess the whole experience was rather tainted by the fact that they were severely understaffed, and service was slow. The girl (I presume is part-time) took our orders, made us repeat it twice, and still got the order wrong.

There was no manager to be seen on the floor, and they seemed to have left the part-time wait staff on their own.

Visited July 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Easy Peranakan cooking”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was pleased after a long day to discover Candlenut literally across the concourse from my hotel. And I was doubly pleased to be able to sample a really unique local cuisine during my brief stay in Singapore.
The simplicity of the restaurant was matched by the warmth of the welcome and arriving at 8pm with no reservation was no problem. The restaurant was pleasantly buzzy and obviously people were enjoying g themselves.
As I was dining solo I asked for advice to ensure I sampled the signature dishes. Personally I couldn't resist the wing bean salad - a light, tangy combination of green beans, prawns, cashew nuts, lime juice, mint and coriander. Utterly delicious. I had this with the house speciality - beef Buah Keluak. What looked dark and daunting was rich, smooth and unlike anything I had ever tasted. A must have.
Service was friendly and efficient and the drinks and meal arrived quickly. It was a thoroughly positive experience.
If you are staying at the adjacent Dorsett Hotel you will get a 10% discount. Just another reason to enjoy,

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank lucy u
Durham, North Carolina
“Interesting local food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We like to find interesting local food wherever we go, but were in the mood for something a bit nicer (and cooler) than the outdoor hawker centers in Singapore. Candlenut to the rescue! No reservation, but they found us seats immediately. The staff took the time to explain the Peranakan ingredients and traditional foods so that we could order more knowledgeably. We truly enjoyed the pork belly and the prawns which were each cooked in unique sauces with such exotic ingredients as candlenuts (hence the name) and sambal. There were spicy and mild dishes to please any palate. These are rather small plates - a bit more food than a typical tapas plate but less than a full dinner order - so be aware that you may want to order 3 to 5 dishes for two of you. The wine was adequate but not exceptional; the service attentive; the atomosphere pleasant (hooray a/c!); the price reasonable for Singapore. All in all, we enjoyed a unique cuisine, well-cooked and delicious. Candlenut made it easy to be more adventurous with the palate without the fear of mysterious ingredients! Bravo.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank gabawray
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexpected flavors”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Fantastic place to bring someone to if you want to introduce them to peranakan food but want a restaurant type setting. I went with Singaporean friends and we'd all grown up eating plenty of peranakan food and the food here was really fantastic. Standouts were the Buah Keluak, Pork Belly and Assam Sotong, we ordered one each of all the desserts and they were delicious, the buah keluak ice cream one being particularly enjoyable, the chilli flakes creating a rather astonishing combination of flavors in the mouth that id never experienced before, slightly befuddling but also entirely welcome. the dining atmosphere was also extremely comfortable, previous reviews mention it being too brightly lit, that wasnt my experience at all, and the service was very attentive and friendly.

• Visited February 2014