“Quiet refuge in a bustling city”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #39 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Quiet refuge in a bustling city”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Although the location was rather inconvenient (required quite a bit of walking from the nearest MRT station with lots of steps to conquer), the effort is well rewarded with the quiet calm of Fort Canning serving as the hotel's main draw.

Had no issues checking in even though it was a weekend, queues were non-existent. The check-in staff were extremely polite and professional, took only about 5 minutes for us to be cleared and brought to the room.

Room-wise, the layout and decor was good. The bathroom was stunning. Although it might be a little too big, it is a refreshing change from the tiny, cooped up bathrooms of most hotels. Enjoyed the complimentary nespresso and tea, only grouse was that there weren't enough milk creamers to go with them.

Overall, really enjoyed the stay here. Everything about this hotel was great, inside-out. Would definitely like to come back in the future!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My room was only entitled to 1 breakfast when I booked my room for 2 people.
My room faced a large grey wall which overlooked the park and people passing by could look inside. Where is the privacy? This is ridiculous!. The hotel staffs are also unfriendly and rude. They are also unable to give us a satisfactory answer to our enquiries which is extremely frustrating. One of the staff even asked us to show our pass to verify that we are guests of the hotel, what kind of unreasonable service and attitude this is?

Room Tip: Stay anywhere except here. Singapore has other better hotels.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JustinaSeymore
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Returning home from a three weeks break around asia. I have seen many hotels destinations in my lifetime and i would say this hotel is the least friendliest and worst hotel by far. The only thing i liked about this hotel was they have done a great job preserving the entire hotel building. It is truly a masterpiece. Everything else in my view is managed by a team of unprofessional people. My troubles started weeks ahead before i set off on my journey. I waited very long at night because of the time differences to speak to the right department about my bookings. Someone picked up my call and transfers the call before i could finish my sentence. The line i was transferred to kept on ringing until it got cut. I tried again and once again the lady transferred my call again without letting me finish my statement. That night i went to bed very very mad. The following weeks were beautiful until i reached Hotel Fort Canning. The taxi drive up there was confusing without proper signages. The hotel's cleaning staffs were at the driveway when we arrived but pretended not seeing us and didnt help us with our luggages. We asked where was the reception the young man looked confused and shaked his head just to say NO. Just as confused we found the reception ourselves and finally after about thirty questions we arrived into our tiny room which did not smell very pleasant. Our luggages arrived and was thrown into the floor another thirty minutes later. We might me old but we are not fools. We rested after a very long flight and took off for a walk. We asked reception what was in and around the hotel but the malayan lady was not very keen to explain. We started walking around on our own and we almost tripped down the very steep and very wet stairways. It could have been deadly if the fall did happen that day. After walking around the park we got lost and returned to our room. Room service was bad. We love asian food but the food was tasteless and very greasy. Our sleep would have been better if not for the noisy chiller. Next morning was beautiful until we reached the breakfast room. There wasn't any food left at 930am. We had to scrape the containers to get some food out and my wife's food had bugs. No one cleared our plates and glasses. By the time we finished our breakfast we had four plates and five glasses on our table. We set out for shopping and returned for the evening drinks. The wines are cheap and the snacks were pathetic. We returned to our room for some tv programmes and early night. Next day breakfast was the same old thing. Finally it was checkout time and we were very happy to leave. Although Malaysia Thailand Indonesia Vietnam are third world countries their people provided warm hospitality and services and our experiences there are no where seen anywhere in this hotel. The management should seriously consider improving on their services in this hotel.

Room Tip: Third floor to stay away from the noise
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timothy C
Hfc_GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 26 December 2012
Dear Timothy C

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Fort Canning. Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to the inconsistencies you experienced during your stay, including room service, staffing shortfalls at the front desk, our front drive, and in our café.

I would like the opportunity to speak to you personally to apologise for these service lapses and encourage you to reach out to me personally at your convenience. I can be contacted at contact@hfcsingapore.com, or alternatively, my office number is (65) 6559 6770. I do look forward to the opportunity to speak to you and to discuss what we can do to welcome you back in the very near future so that we can craft a new true memorable experience for you and your partner.

Yours sincerely,
Leslie Pereira
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Charming hotel but very bad service. Check in takes forever as you can see very clearly that the reception is overwhelmed,understaffed and untrained. It will help if reception staffs were more friendly. Rooms are wearing out and the signs are obvious. Housekeeping staffs don't understand what you really want and just say "ok" to everything. When we returned to our room everything was opposite of what we requested for. No one bothers to answer your calls for extra amenities. If housekeeping bothers to replenish the mini bars, sugar,creamer,coffee,tea and water i don't even have to call for help in the middle of the night in the first place. Very annoying.
Cocktail hour is a joke. Air-con was very cold on our first night and we reported about it. Nothing was done. We suffered the same freezing temperatures on the second night. Breakfast was a painful walk every morning with no proper shelters in the drizzles and heavy downpours. No way trying to escape from getting wet. How hard you try you will still get wet. Breakfast is not great and worth skipping it. Pools are nice but no use in freezing cold Decembers. Checking out took ridiculously long that i literally dozed off. Another long wait for the taxi. Hope not to return ever.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Candygirlcan
Dear Candygirlcan

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We truly regret to hear about your experience at Hotel Fort Canning, and assure you that here at Hotel Fort Canning, we are sincere & dedicated in providing our valued guests such as yourself, a great experience in a comfortable environment at all times.

We are delighted to learn that you found our hotel charming; however extremely dismayed and concerned that the remainder of your experience, especially with relation to the delay at our front desk, housekeeping staff, was far below our standards. We are also sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us. We’d also like to clarify that The Glass House is accessible with several routes, some of which are indoors. We are truly sorry to hear of your experience.

I would love the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what we can do to have you visit with us again. I can be contacted at contact@hfcsingapore.com or alternatively, my direct number is (65) 6559 6770.

We look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

We sincerely apologise for the lapse in service described.

At your service we remain.

Yours sincerely,
Leslie Pereira
Reviewed 11 December 2012

singapore hotels are as small as it can get.

the size of the room is the only negative point i can think about.

the most important thing about this hotel is the complimentary welcome drink every evening!
there is a wide selection of drinks available (red / white / sparkling) coupled with cheese and biscuits to welcome guests.

the location is pretty out of the way (on a hilltop) but the serenity of the location frees the guest from the hectic urban jungle of singapore

Room Tip: food wise, great local food can be found around the hotel, so avoid having meals in the hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed at this hotel for quite a while (business trip). It is an amazing hotel, the fittings are all modern, the rooms are comfortable and well designed. the only drawback in the actual rooms is the damn AC system witch needs an electrical engineer to figure out (neither of us did, we just sort of winged it).

At the morning have a fresh galss of their cucumber water was refreshing before venturing off into the humidity. THe restaraunts and snack bar had amazing quality food (except breakfast, but in my experience Asian countries are always bad with breakfast).

The location is a bit hard for taxi drivers to figure out, but hoestly its a walk away from the main shopping distict of the country. Its not in Marinna Bay (which is where the trendy nightlife now is) but its refreshing as the hotel is surrounded by its gardens, and so you feel isolated from the tensuion of the city itself.

Great hotel for couple, for friends and for business, I genuinely have no bad points against it, beds were comfortable, bathrooms modern, water pressure good...I'm trying to find a negative experience and I'm drawing blank, so that must be a good sign.

I recommend it all the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a park view room, its wiorth it to have greener infront of you.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Checked in at 2pm & room was not ready.I was asked to come back later "bluntly" for the room. It was raining and hotel had no umbrellas. What kind of hotel will not have umbrellas? Having 2 kids with us we somehow managed to get a taxi and reach the nearest shopping centre. After wasting our time just walking in circles we took the taxi back to the hotel. The taxi driver took us to the wrong hotel. Very frustrated by now that at 6:15pm room was not ready yet. Spoke to the staff and they didn't know anything and we had to repeat our "story". Spoke to the manager and it was not helpful either. Got into the room at 6:45pm and towels were stained and had hairs on them.Asked for extra towels and it never came.Not very impressed. Room was small & dirty. No choice as my kids were exhausted. Thank god they had TV for entertainment but nothing much for kids.Room service was slow. Next day breakfast was shameful,lacked variety and staffs too busy chatting and playing with their handphones. What a shame. Check out time was 12pm but we left at 10:30am feeling disgusted & disappointed. Can the GM explain to me what is wrong with your hotel?

Room Tip: Never stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family