“A wonderful place to escape to.”
Review of Hotel Fort Canning

Hotel Fort Canning
Ranked #39 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Oakland, California
“A wonderful place to escape to.”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was fortunate to travel to Singapore twice in a month - my first stay was here - my second stay was at the Intercontinental - it was an interesting contrast in style.

Hotel Fort Canning feels much more of boutique hotel - much slower pace - beautiful views from the room and from the area you have breakfast - and the breakfast is wonderful one of the best I have ever had.
I did have issues off and on with the wireless - but it was not too tragic - I enjoyed having a nespresso machine in my room.

It might be good to carry the address or a map with the location with you when you are out and about - as most taxis had issues figuring out where the hotel was ...

In most every aspect I enjoyed this hotel... I did not choose it for my second stay as I was staying with my family and a 6 year old - and I wanted to be right on top of the metro system. That being said if I came back by myself or with my wife I would be back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel Fort Canning. You got it right, our location, despite being 5 minutes away from Orchard Road, offers a much slower pace than any hotels in town.
I am sorry to hear about the fact that the taxi drivers did not know where we are located, Fort Canning Park is famous in SIngapore, maybe it's part of being a hidden gem...

Do come back with us when you travel again to Singapore, and we will be pleased to welcome you back,

Franck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here last November but I have struggled to make my review worthy of our stay at Fort Canning. First the welcome, so nice and wine delivered to our room in a beautiful wooden box with fine glassware. Our room had a separate lounge with Tv and lounge and our room was huge. The king size bed that you could walk around, a bath you could walk around, floor to ceiling windows, high ceilings and balcony. Every morning and night hotel staffed called in to check if we needed anything but everything was always there. Complimentary drinks and canapés in the guest lounge was a great place to meet other guests. The wines and nibbles were high quality and plenty for everyone. Coffee, fruit and biscuits were always available too. The breakfast was the best I have ever had and the Italian restaurant was excellent value. To wake up each morning in a green lush oasis on the city is a treat and even though you felt away from the city you really were very close to everything. If we caught taxis they were quick and very cheap. The fort tour was excellent and should not be missed. The pool was the perfect place to wind down. We wish we could go back again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane F
Dear Diane,

Thank you so much for writing such a stunning review of our hotel, I have shared it with our team who was delighted to read you.

We will continue to work hard to delight our customers,

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Recently stayed at Hotel Fort Canning with my partner for our anniversary celebration. The whole experience was a very memorable one indeed. A colonial style hotel, coupled with the relaxing & greenery surroundings from the Fort Canning Park. Definitey a great getaway from the bustling city!

Upon our arrival at the hotel we were greeted by friendly & cheerful staff, making us feel very much at ease and we know that we will be in very good hands throughout our stay. The staff is also very merticulous, and we like how they walk us personally to our rooms and give a brief introduction of the room and the facilities available. Imagine a balcony bathroom!

The room is also very equiped with high-end technology - TV with internet facilities controlled by remote/keyboard, touch-sensitive switch, automatic curtains, and many more.

We also had breakfast at The Glass House. As the name speaks, it was having a buffet breakfast, surrounded by glass. I would say the quality of service is great, however the food variety is limited.

Overall, the whole experience at Hotel Fort Canning is awesome & I look forward to staying here in future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear guest,

Indeed, Hotel Fort Canning is much more of a boutique hotel - with a much slower pace - beautiful views from the room and from the area you have breakfast - and thank you for mentioning the fact that the breakfast is wonderful as well as having Nespresso machine in the comfort of your room.
I am sorry to hear you had little issues off and on with the wireless, it usually works very well but I have asked our IT team to monitor the speed a few times a day.

The team and I send their regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Spent a relaxing Saturday enjoying the well-equipped gym and pool facilities, before retiring to a beautifully decorated room. The interior was modern with a touch of old colonial style, nicely juxtaposed against the lush green surroundings and swimming pool. Service was prompt and obliging with a smile, and the room had high speed wifi as well as a variety of television channels. Every aspect of the room displayed attention to detail especially the high tech console (which doubled up as a remote for the air-conditioning, television and blinds!) which did not go unnoticed. A stone's throw from the popular Clarke Quay area, easily accessible via taxi or train, I would definitely return again soon to treat myself to a weekend of blissful indulgence and relaxation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have a nice outside deck/verandah area to allow travelers to take in the p...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Mr Tan,

Thank you for your great review of our hotel during your stay cation with us.
I am very excited to read about your experience with us and quoting "service was prompt and obliging with a smile", as this is exactly our new direction, service from the heart.
I am glad you also enjoyed the old colonial touch of our hotel that offers tranquility.

May I also thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on trip advisor, as I do share the reviews with the team every morning at our operation meeting.

uk
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed for a week...loved it..old colonial..relaxing and restful ambience, good pool, gym
Very helpful and cheerful staff....good food
Rooms a good size, excellent bathroom. Internet and tv

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear guest,

What a beautiful review of your stay with us.
All we want our guests to experience has been summed up in your write-up: "old colonial..relaxing and restful ambience, good pool, gym In a nice setting...far from the maddening crowd but a short walk to the bustle... Very helpful and cheerful staff....good food...Rooms a good size, excellent bathroom. Internet and tv"
Thank you so much for taking the time to highlight your love for Hotel Fort Canning, the team and I are delighted we could deliver an excellent experience.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Interesting hotel in lovely green park setting which is a great contrast to the busy city. The staff could not be more helpful, any request was dealt with very promptly. A number of options were offered for breakfast.
I found the glass bathroom interesting but would prefer a more conventional arrangement . I would stay again.
Helen

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Helen,
Thank you so much for giving us a 5 star rating. I am so glad your 5 day-stay with us went so well, and that our dedicated team could not have been more helpful, this means a lot to me, to my head of departments and our employees.
We will continue our internal program to delight guests as much as we can,

Have a great week-end and thank you again,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed at The Fort Canning again on business for the second time this year.

Good
I do like the setting in Fort Canning - surrounded by gardens with zero traffic noise.
Broadband in the room is good - but you need to ask for a cable to link to ethernet as it is much faster than wireless which keeps asking you to reconnect or slows.
Nasi Goreng delivered to room was quick and very good.
Swimming pools are huge and quiet.
Doormen are friendly and quick at getting cabs for my many meetings.
Roti prata for breakfast and an omlette man who is very keen to make one for you.

Bad
It's not quite 5 star - a couple of times there were no towels by the pools or finished room service was not collected for quite a while.
Aircon in rooms is really not quiet enough.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Franck-Hardy-GM, General Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us at Hotel Fort Canning.
Thank you also for all your good comments.
I will definitely work with the team on improving the towel situation at the pool, and I have already discussed this topic this morning.

Such feedback help me put in place improvement processes as I am the new general manager here. I hope you will be able to notice the improvement during your next visit, and do not hesitate to connect with me at any time, I am happy to have a chat with you.