Hotel Fort Canning
One Farrer Hotel & Spa(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$191
US$352
US$254
Panpacific.com
  • Pool
Carlton Hotel Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$236
US$160
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore(Singapore)
US$351
US$252
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Changi Airport(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$152
  • Restaurant
Park Hotel Clarke Quay(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$528
US$368
MarinaBaySands
1,447 results
All reviewsglass housepremium luxe roombattle boxcolonial buildingorchard roadhigh techbustling citydhoby ghaut mrtnespresso machinebeautiful hotelcomplimentary drinksboutique hotelevening drinksclarke quayplaza singapurahotel guestsrain shower
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We chose Fort Canning Park because of its location and the old colonial building it is situated in. First of all : The location is great : Many places can be reached by foot (Orchard Road on one side of the park, the river bank, marina and Esplanade on the other – even Bugis or the Raffles hotel are within walking distance. The park is quite big and absolutely beautiful for jogging, an evening stroll or some quiet time with a book. Try out the spice garden ; you’ll learn a lot !

Regarding the hotel we were disappointed. The beautiful old building is over-renovated with cheap design that already looks somewhat run down. We booked a patio room on the first floor. The patio is a strip of an outside platform simply separated with some potted plants – not much privacy here, but with the dark floor and the whole area facing the afternoon sun you could not sit outside anyway, it was far too hot. The room was furnished in a way that can only be described with one word : silly.

What they call an „open concept“ means that the bathtub next to your bed dominates the whole room: it is huge and for everything else there’s no space left, especially not for your suitcases. We had to place them in the bathtub, but other than that there was hardly any storage room for our clothes.

A flimsy glass door separates the toilet from the rest of the room. Who feels comfortable on the toilet knowing that you’re basically sitting in your room (and your partner/friend too)? My husband, who is of average european size, could not close the door at all when sitting: it was either his knees or the door.
Another silly thing: Aircon and light are switched on and off via TV. Who wants to switch on the TV in order to switch on the light? There are flat light „switches“ on the wall, too, that obviously react on the temperature of your fingers, but you can’t find them in the dark (or you find them and highlight the whole room, because you accidentally touched all the switches…)
Aircon is noisy, but weak, and our room smelled after some time and none of our clothes or bathing suits ever dried.
We changed to another room on the second floor which was more spacious – but the silly design remained the same. Nothing is functional and it feels as if these rooms have been designed for a glossy magazine, but not for a traveller’s needs.
The entrance/lobby area is a freezer : Even for Singapore it is far too cold. The outside area s somewhat strange: There's an artificial grass carpet, a gazebo that is obviously used for functions, but there's no nice outside/sitting area.

The two pool areas are very exposed to the sun but are clean and well maintained.
We had High Tea once, but we would not recommend it : The barkeeper hat no idea it was served at the bar, it came with meat although we stated clearly we were vegetarians, and it took forever until it was served.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel. It is too expensive for what they offer, and there are far too many annoying details.

Room Tip: Take a room facing the park with ensuite bath room. The rooms facing the city have their bathrooms built in what used to be their balconies. That is strange, as all the light in your room comes through the bath room. Avoid the patio rooms, the patio is not much worth and the rooms with the "open concept" are small and you have no privacy on the toilet or in the shower.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Miriam H
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Got used to stay in luxury 5 star hotel and was sure that hotel with such a great history won`t dissapoint me but I spent 2 hours while checking-in, then I can`t get back my deposit via credit card for more than 1 month which never happened to me, then personel - rude, slow, absolutaly not willing to work, food - 3 star maximum, very few choise and bad quality. Room - old and strange. There are lots of nice hotels in Singapore so I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank John M
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear John M,

We were alarmed to read your review as our checking in process is a quick one unless there is a problem with the booking, and we do not have on record anyone having such a problem who stayed with us in June. Also, the length of time it takes to refund a guest's deposit via their credit card is dependant on the guest's bank, but it usually takes two weeks. We are surprised by your description of the service your received, and of the room you stayed in, so we have written to you to ascertain if you actually stayed at Hotel Fort Canning or at another hotel and have mistakenly written your review here.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was a very pleasant hotel & the staff were kind & helpful..... BUT be warned they do over book & we were told... not asked... to move out for a couple of days as they had an Estee Lauder conference booked-we refused and all was well -- but some guests could not book in and had to go elsewhere.
The hotel is set in tropical gardens where we could enjoy a peaceful walk.
The hotel was ideally situated as near Dhoby Ghat Metro and a shopping Plaza.
The food in the restaurant was very good and the service was good .
The room was spacious and well appointed.
We were on the second floor and just along from the entrance to the pools.
Overall a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: second floor very good--garden rooms on first floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank spender49
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I enjoyed my staycation at the Hotel Fort Canning. It’s a walking distance from Dhoby Ghaut MRT. Its direct as there are clear directional signage to guide me all the way to hotel lobby. When I first step in, I super like the feel and smell. Quiet and clean hotel. Approach the hotel reception to check-in and the customer service personnel is very polite and wears a smile at all times. I glance around and realise that all their staffs are very customer oriented. Pretty fast done with the check-in, and their staff brought us up to our rooms. The room is exactly what I saw online (usually I will minus my expectation of 50% so that I know I won’t feel so cheated when I see the actual room) – best accommodation room amenities. The hotel uses HD TV screens and their programmes selection/internet can be selected using keyboard (provided) as well. I super love their bathtub and their monsoon rain showers. The receptionist even ring us up to send my husband a birthday cake. Thumbs up for their thoughtfulness! Had dinner at their restaurant (The Glass House – Asian dishes), the staffs are very polite and smiley, prompt service too. Enjoyed the cosy atmosphere. Breakfast was also served at the restaurant, not a huge variety but it’s enough to make you full. They also have daily special side order menu and the staffs will bring the menu to you and ask for your order. Swimming pool doesn’t have the chlorine smell and very clean. Overall pleasant experience with Hotel Fort Canning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SporeSlave
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear SporeSlave,

It was pleasure having you with us for your recent staycation and thank you for your excellent review!

We are so glad you and your husband enjoyed yourselves and that we could add something to your celebration of your husband's birthday. We are delighted that our staff made an impression on you with their politeness, warmth and efficiency, and that you found much to love about Hotel Fort Canning, including The Glass House and the mineral-cleansed swimming pools.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again for another staycation soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed at Hotel Fort Canning for a weekend staycation and it was such a great experience. The rooms were nice and comfortable and I loved the bathroom and the tub.

What's great is that the hotel is just minutes away from Dhouby Ghaut yet when I was in the hotel, I was away from all the crowd of Orchard road. It's a great feeling.

The service provided by the staff was impeccable. I had the pleasure of being served by Abigail and her team, and it totally made my stay. From the check-in, to room service, to every little request that was made and met, all with a smile and can-do attitude.

Highly recommend this place, and I do look forward to staying with them again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClydeCheng

Dear ClydeCheng,

Thank you for staying with us and for the excellent review!

We are absolutely delighted that you found your weekend staycation with us to be such a great experience, and that you not only loved our hardware, like our comfortable rooms and fabulous bathrooms, but also our heartware, meaning our warm and friendly staff. I have shared your kind comments with Abigail and her team and they are thrilled and would like to thank you for your compliments.

We certainly look forward to your next stay with us and we hope it is soon!