“small rooms w/ great breakfast”

Fragrance Hotel - Bugis
Ranked #171 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
manila
“small rooms w/ great breakfast”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

stayed here for 3days2nights, i wasn't really surprised about the room size since i already know how small it was when i booked for it, the buffet breakfast was very satisfying for me, not really near shopping area, you have to do a bit of long walking or take a taxi to go to shopping area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank r3ch13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Good point is the location.........

Bad points are:
Tiny room -couldn't swing a cat in our room. Struggled with our cases.
Room with no window
Bathroom size of a small cupboard- was a wet room so you could poo, shave and shower at the same time!! Without having to move!!
Crappy restaurant!

Disgusting breakfast.....like a school canteen!!!! We went in and walked straight out.

I think we paid far too much for it and we should have been paid o stay there. It is the first room I have ever stayed in that had no window. Awful!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank KtMet

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We wouldn't have stayed here if not for the location which is diagonally right opposite Bugis Junction.

Room is small and window-less, as expected. I wish the room cleaning service could be more efficient. We went back to hotel around 4pm and the room has not been cleaned.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 Thank CheeHong
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We booked two rooms for 5 nights because of the location. I booked through the internet special and added comments for rooms with windows due to my asthma. when we got to the hotel we were told that the rooms will not be on the same floor should we want one room with a window. I opted to be on the same floor as my friends instead when they reassured me that the rooms are well ventilated. I ended up in a small humid room with a crack in the wall and black mold on the ceiling. There was a strong smell and the room was definitely not well ventilated. This room was not helpful to my asthma. After leaving our luggage in our rooms, we went down to the lobby to see about WIFI as my friend saw on the board in the lobby that breakfast and WIFI was COMPLIMENTARY. The staff confirmed that it was COMPLIMENTARY. When we asked her for the password, she started telling us the price for 2 hours, 12 hours or 24 hours?!?!? Confused, we pointed at the sign and asked again "Is WIFI COMPLIMENTARY?" She said "yes, but the charge is $ for 2 hours,....". That is NOT complimentary!!

The first night and second night was awful because the humidity in the room and the smell. We also noticed that there was no cable. Eventually, I asked if they have a room with a window to move me in. They confirmed they do have on on the same floor as my friends, so I was happy. But after being moved to the room did I realize what a big mistake it was. The room had a small window but you would never open it because there is construction right across that wakes you up at 7:00am. And worst of all, there was a strong smell of smoke when it was a smokefree room. I would have rather they told me that the room had problems.

Our flight out was late at night and I didn't realize that we didn't actually need the last night I booked because we would be at the airport. So, I asked what the penalty was and the staff confirmed it would be one night's cost to cancel. After discussing with my friends, we all agreed that we were extremely unhappy with the rooms. So, we went next door to Hotel 81 to check the prices and if it was reasonable, we would rather move and pay the one night penalty. Hotel 81's lobby was clean and spacious, the price was comparable and we checked the rooms and they were bigger and CLEAN. So, we went back to Fragrance to try to cancel but the staff this time told us that we booked through the internet and it's NOT refundable. We would have had to forfeit 3 nights if we want to cancel!! I also brought up that the room they moved me in smells strongly of smoke. I believe it was the manager that looked at me, nodded and went back to pretend looking at the computer. No apologies, no effort to resolve our situation. The least they can do is ask why we want to cancel and what they can do to improve our stay. We went back to Hotel 81 to let them know that we can't cancel at Fragrance. The staff at Hotel 81 said it's unusual for there to be such booking conditions.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL!! If location is what you are looking for, Hotel 81 is a few doors down and even though I didn't get a chance to stay there, the rooms are bigger and better ventilated. I don't know when it's ever okay to put guests in rooms with mold or strong smell of smoke when it's smokefree!

Room Tip: After seeing three different rooms in this hotel, I've determined there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank travel_explorer8
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Like the others have said it's all about the location! Bugis MRT is a short walk. Get the tourist pass for the MRT it's worth it. There are many places to eat and shop nearby. Bugis village is where you can buy all your souvenirs cheap. The hotel itself is an attached property so most rooms have no windows. bathroom is very small. The rooms are big enough for two people max.
No free wifi, you do get coupons for free breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. The menu is mostly the same everyday. Choose this hotel for the location not accommodations!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scarlota21
Jakarta
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, on our 2nd honeymoon trip, mid of May 2012. It was recommended by our travel agent. The price is very low, but the location is quite good. Near to the airport (20-30 mins by taxi), near to bugis junction (5 mins walk), and near to MRT station. The room is quite standard : small, minimalist but clean. There are air conditioner, TV, water heater and shower. We also got breakfast, buffet of fried rice, sausage, tofu, bread, hot tea/ coffee.

Room Tip: Don't go home too late in the night. Sometimes there are some group of young people, hang out an...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PrincessaLo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 May 2012

So close to the Bugis shopping centre, MRT (train station), good restaurants, Seven Eleven just down stairs. Would have not stayed anywhere else if it was just about the location, however the comfort of the room matters to me too. The room we requested were non smoking but as we reached the floor to room 601 it already smelt of smoke. It was even stronger when we opened the door to our room. The mattress is quite hard and were sewn with a brown vinyl covering. Overall cleanliness of the room wasn't too bad.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends