“First time in a hostel and it was a good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travellers Loft @ Jalan Besar

Travellers Loft @ Jalan Besar
Ranked #148 of 227 Speciality Lodging in Singapore
Manila, Philippines
“First time in a hostel and it was a good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

Since I travel with my husband most of the time, having a comfortable room is what we want. Since the trip was a surprise (my husband did not know where we will be going), I made sure the hostel I chose is good.

I was supposed to book in other hostels but all of them were booked. My third option was Traveller's Inn after reading the reviews.

I honestly prefer a private toilet and bath but I was able to sustain 3 days without it. I must say that the toilets were very clean. In our room, we had a private shower. The hostel is just to sleep in. We were out most of the time exploring the city since we only had 3 days.

I have to commend Daniel and Jenny for being very helpful. Jenny gave us a map and showed us directions. Up to the last minute, they were very accommodating. After getting lost in Chinatown and knowing we were late for the airport shuttle, Jenny managed to call the driver and after 5 minutes, the bus was there.

For the location, Traveller's Inn is just near bus stops. We had the chance to ride in the MRT only once (Lavender MRT) since we wanted to enjoy the view and rode buses instead. The hostel is near hawker centers. It's also a few blocks away Mustafa Center, a shopping center open for 24 hours.

If you are in a budget, want a safe place to leave your things and have a good night sleep, I'd definitely recommend Traveller's Inn.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Dharamsala, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

I booked at Travellers Inn on Hostelbookers.com and am happy having done that. The centrally-located hostel is at stone's throw distance from the central hub of Singapore-with Lavender MRT just 10 minutes walking distance.
Jenny and Daniel maintain the hostel as they maintain their own home-clean&tidy. Yes, like children, you have to be disciplined in order to avoid a reprimand from Jenny! However, she was generous enough to forgive us for inadvertently spilling some water on the bed for which she had to do lot of drying etc! After all, she plays a mother.
You get all the information at the desk; some useful leaflets & books for reference and 24 hours wi-fi with a computer at the disposal of the travelers!
I would surely like to put up on all my subsequent visits to the city. A little congestion in the room&shrieking iron beds can be overlooked for the kind of location this place enjoys.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

When I first booked this place, I was a little bit worried about the cleanliness of the room and most importantly the bathroom. We took SMRT to Lavender station. Then, we walked to the hotel which only took us about 5-10 minutes to arrive the hotel. The hosts are very nice and very friendly. They gave us maps and recommended us about the attractions in the SG. Breakfast here is very simple i.e. coffee, breads (with toaster), and strawberry jam and peanut butter. They also have the cooler selling soft drink and mineral water which are cheaper than buying from 7-11 or else.
The room we stayed is six beds and the room has air con and the fan and also the locker for each person. What I appreciated the most is the bathrooms. They are very clean and they have hot-cold water available. Moreover, the restrooms are separated. It's not very crowded and people who stayed there were very friendly. I and my friends felt like we were living in our own house. The hotel also has the free wifi which is very nice too.
If you have limited budget, then this place is the good place for you to stay. There is food court which opens 24 hrs and locates on the opposite side of the hotel. So, if you get hungry, then you just stop by at the food court, a lot of local foods there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank JannyCoyote
Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

There were three of us traveling and paid for the room with 4 beds to have some privacy. The inn is located in a quiet neighborhood but a bit far from the main tourist areas. The Lavender MRT Station though, is about 5 blocks from the inn. If you're staying there on a weekend, expect some noise in front of the inn where people tend to stay up late and hang around in the food courts.

There is free breakfast of coffee, tea, toasted bread, jam and butter. For some people who feel this is not enough, there are several food courts nearby offering more food variety at a cheap price.

The shower and toilet were shared with other guests, but we did not really have any problem about lining up to use it. The rooms and common areas were very clean.

Although Singaporeans are not really naturally warm people, the owners were very helpful and tried their best to make their guests feel at home.

In general, this is a good place to stay if you're on a limited budget or in Singapore for a few days.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank AletaPhil
Wallis and Futuna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

we stayed there 3 days. the hotel is run by a nice couple who will answer all your questions. you get breakfast, clean beds, one free internet pc (free wifi), helpful information, and a modern, friendly atmosphere. it is not in the center of singapore it is right behind little india in a nice quiet street. on the opposite there is a 24h restaurant and 7eleven is around the corner. from there you can walk through little india to center mall area then orchard road and finally chinatown. you will see a lot of singapore but it is just for those who like to walk, for others take the train,bus, or taxi. it is very easy to come around. you can also book city tours at the reception.
All in all i would recommend this nice little backpacker hotel and i would stay there again. Nice place for nice people.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nuke-retroactive
seoul, korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

Traveller's Inn is located within walking distance of two MRT lines, and just two stops from City Hall. The place was really clean and inviting. Jenny and Daniel are very helpful, and were able to answer any questions I had about my visit to Singapore. You can tell that they love having visitors to their home country and encourage them to stay beyond the two or three days that most travelers spend here. I

The cons: The beds in the mixed dorm were really creaky. The frame moved a bit when I moved around on the bed, which I do quite often. I felt like everyone stayed to themselves, so it was hard to meet people.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Goiania, GO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

I stayed at Traveller's Inn for 3 nights in late August. Being a solo traveler, I chose the female dorm - only 3 bunk beds and everyone has its own locker. Jenny and Daniel own the place and take care of everything. They are lovely and always ready to help, with a lot of information about the city, attractions and maps! They also arrange tickets to the Zoo, Night Safari (I did it, highly recommended) and Universal Studios.
Singapore is a pedestrian-friendly city and from the hostel you can easily walk to everywhere. It is close to 2 MRT stations and there are plenty of 24-hour eateries around - one just in front of it! But for me, the best one was the big hawker centre behind the buddhist temple. Yummy!
Speaking about the room itself, the hostel is very new so is everything inside it. Jenny and Daniel have very strict rules to keep it that way, like no bags on the bed (to prevent bed bugs) and no eating in the room. The ac temperature was just fine and I didn't freeze during the night (but if you do, don't worry, because they provide you a blanket and all the linen as well - and the bed is ready when you arrive!). I had troubles falling asleep in the first night but not because of the bed - there were 2 lousy girls in the room, who started packing at 1am to leave at 5am!
The pantry and bathrooms stay in the back of the building and are also very clean and organised - didn't have to wait to use the shower, very important! Hot water and they also have towels to rent/sell in case you forgot yours. The common area in the hostel has a pc free to use and they also provide free wi-fi for your laptop.
I had a great time chatting to the owners and I'm glad to recommend it - will stay here when going back to Singapore, but probably will choose a double room (which they also provide, as well as a family room!).

Keep up the good work, Jenny and Daniel! Thanks for the lovely time and for the chats!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo