“Fullerton Bay Hotel simply elegant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore

The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore
Ranked #2 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
New York City, New York
“Fullerton Bay Hotel simply elegant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you're looking for a hotel near the Marina, without question, this should be your choice! It's a small, boutique like hotel with 5 star service and amenities. The roof top pool has a beautiful view of the Marina. I must say, the food I ordered at the pool wasn't great, however the breakfast and the dinner I had at the hotel was exceptional. The martini's at the lobby bar were perfect and the concierge service was really helpful. I felt that the staff really went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. I requested early check in and they accommodated me at 7am, with a room at no additional charge! It really does have a small hotel feel with, again, 5 star service. Oh, one thing, if you have a taxi dropping you from the airport, make sure you say Fullerton BAY Hotel, they have another hotel called Fullerton Hotel nearby, which I was first dropped off.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Marina View. It's spectacular at night.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

I arrived here after my stay at MO, Singapore which was a perfect stay so its fair to say that the bar had been set high but on arrival at FB I had to have 3 room changes.

The first room they had put me in a twin bedded room. Yes it was for single occupancy except on the last night but they had not distinguished between single and double occupancy when selling me the room so this was rather cheeky and after I had got used to the sprawlingly big bed at MO I didn't think I would be super comfy here. I had arrived at 7pm and the staff on duty at the time handled things a little clumsily in my view. My experience of the difference in service between here and my last hotel was immediate. Perhaps its to be expected of a younger hotel like the FB but its place at the top of many reviews had also made me expect more efficiency and finesse from the staffs handling of problems.

Other than the twin bedded aspect this room on the 5th floor was perfect and my subsequent room transfers left me wishing I had stuck to the original notwithstanding a more restricted bed space arrangement. I was moved to a lower floor even though I had specifically requested a high floor in my booking. I suppose the issue here was that there are only 5 floors to the hotel! But I would have thought that a high floor request usually indicates a preference for quietness away from the noise on the street etc. This was especially relevant since the second room I was given was facing Customs House (a collective of bars and restaurants) which is open until 2am most nights- not great noise factor for a light sleeper. Even worse was the strong musty smell pervading the 3rd and 4th floors not only in the corridors but also in the rooms. I note that other reviewers have mentioned this. Its a real problem which the hotel so far refuse to even acknowledge which doesn't help matters.

So I was moved to a third room which had been freshly sprayed with air freshner and by now it was 8.30pm and it was a case of settling for this room or cancelling my plans for later that evening.

The room itself was the most spacious and beautifully appointed room and I was told that all rooms are the same other than the floor they are on and the outlook which determines their category.

The entire hotel is quite stunning if you appreciate the Starck/ New Design style. The only room I stayed in which has this wow factor is at the Viceroy Miami but generally its not easy to find a standard category of room in any hotel across the world of this calibre. I think the FB has just won the best rooms category in Conde Nast also and it is well deserved. It has the highest ceilings, huge mirrors and floor to ceiling windows giving the room such a great boost of natural light. The room at MO, Singapore was too deep to catch all the light and the ceilings much lower so it wasn't a great room to spend alot of time in. The FB rooms even have a smoking/ sun balcony as standard. Its a great feeling to stay at a hotel that is so generous in its allotment of space to its guests in this way.

Bathroom was also spacious with walk in shower and huge bath. The bathroom amenities were the new range of MB (or specially designed for Asia) but had just too much perfume in to use generously. Housekeeping was minimalist and not the best. Towels were of a cheap (hard) quality for this category of hotel. The lighting in the bathroom and bedroom was perfect. The entertainment system was modern and easy to use.

The gym is modern but tiny and poorly equipped but (perhaps for that reason) no one seems to use it. There was no bottled water in the gym which was surprising- just old jugs of water with orange bits- looked unappetising. The pool is on the top floor with the Lantern Bar set around it. The latter is always busy so if you like to swim with privacy in mind you won't get it here. Having said that it does create a very nice hang out area in the day and night and bar staff are especially friendly and welcoming.

Like many new design hotels the FB has an 'uber-cool' reputation amongst the locals and yes it does have the wow factor that MO lacked. This makes it special especially for the younger crowd. But I have not yet come across a hotel which balances the service versus cool factors together perfectly. It seems one always comes at the expense of the other! But if you have any suggestions otherwise please contact me as I always like to keep informed.

Breakfast was a big disappointment- the fruits were not the best quality and the range was small. They should serve freshly squeezed juices as standard where the fruit is available in such abundance instead of having to make a special request for it at breakfast! Ofcourse I would probably have not said this had I not had breakfast at MO for 6 mornings previously but I was not paying that much less here so it could be fair to expect the same. The breakfast room itself was a great space, light and airy although not many nooks and crannies for those seeking a more secluded breakfast experience.

Taxis were normally easy to get since the FB is off the highway and they can be flagged down quickly. Infact the location of the FB is very nice as you can easily walk to many bars, restaurants, and right by the waters edge. If you walk over the bridge connected to outside of the hotel you reach Raffles Place with its boutiques and nice cafes or catch the MRT. Its in the Financial District and you can sense this as you go out in the daytime.

I would have given FBH 5 stars but for the variable service, the underwhelming breakfast and the odour in the hotel- since it ticks many boxes for an otherwise great stay. The rooms are the best choice if you are working indoors in the day so I would definitely consider staying here again if they could do something about the musty smell.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room make sure you put in a request for a room on the side fcaing away from the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank grinchee
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Ideally located to watch the Marina Bay light show that takes place every evening, this new hotel is perfect for business travel. The rooms are comfortable, stylish and clean, with handy international electric sockets, Nespresso machine and reliable wifi.
I will definitely go back to Fullerton Bay hotel next time I'm in Singapore

Room Tip: One word of caution, although the view from the poolside roof terrace is awesome, the food was reall...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Prague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Small hotel on Singapore measures, true five star. Very nice contrapunct to old Fullerton Hotel, mix of new and old... Amazing location, excellent rooms with all the perks and above all ... The Lantern pool bar in the evening is probably the best place to taste Singapore skyline. This place really surprised me! Try evening walk around the bay, its safe and beautiful.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are a must!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We were staying for 4 nights in Bay View room during our honeymoon on Feb 2012.

We arrived at night at this hotel. We were greeted with friendly staff and had our luggage taken care of promptly. The staff kindly guided us to the reception table where we checked in for our room.

To my surprise, Ifa the reception staff, guided us to the lift and all the way to our room, as well as explaining all the room's amenities. Usually in other hotel, we had to find the room ourselves, but this time it was different and I think it's a nice touch and personalised service that the same receptionist who checked you in also show you the room.

My wife and I really like the bed and pillows at this hotel. It's really comfortable and we really had a good sleep every night. Bathroom is pretty standard although we feel they should make more room on the bench in bathroom to put our toiletries instead putting an oversized sink.

We love the fact that our room has free wireless internet access and all the power point in the room already had international adapter built in it. So you do not need international adapter to connect to your room power point.

Sadly, during one night of our stay, we had an inconsiderate neighbour from room above us who decided to turn up house music at his room around 23:35 and had a loud chatter on their balcony. We called the duty manager to complain about the disturbance and within 10 - 15 mins the noise subsided significantly.

Our recommendation for this hotel is to prohibit any loud music or chatter on private balcony after 22:30, because it really disturbs other hotel guests.

There was one particular incident that made us really impressed with Fullerton Bay personalised service.

While we were waiting for our pick up to the airport at hotel lobby, the handle on my wife new luggage suddenly just broke apart. She just purchased that luggage 2 days ago at Marina Bay Sand. We frantically try to find a replacement luggage and we were running out of time before our pick up arrive.

Fortunately the concierge team noticed our dire situation and in particular, Deborah, offered us, herself, to take the broken luggage to Marina Bay Sand and get it exchanged with new luggage. Of course we had to pay for her taxi return trip, but her prompt assistance really help us a lot and in no time she came back with new luggage so we didn't miss our flight back to Australia.

Overall, we feel that this hotel is catered more for business traveller or couples or people travelling with their friends. Not so much for family that travelling with kids. Furthermore, if you want to experience a different level of service during your stay at Singapore, I really recommend to stay at Fullerton Bay hotel.

Room Tip: Bay View has a great view looking out at Marina Bay Sand hotel. And you can watch their laser show...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charles C
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed at the Fullerton on business and it was a great experience. The rooms are nicely appointed with generous bathrooms. Everything was in its place and the bed was very comfortable. Service at the hotel was defintely 5-star standard, quick and professional. I used the spa on 2 days and the treatments met my expectations.

TIPP: if you book your next spa appointment immediately when you leave the hotel they will give you a discount.

I had lunch at the Chinese restaurant and it was probably the best Dim-Sum I have ever had.

Very nice business hotel in Singapore which I would recommend. I would also stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank revilo7777
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We spent one night at the Fullerton Bay Hotel on the 18th of Feb 2012

We were pleasantly surprised .

I can say this ..... If it fits your budget , just stay here

I live in Singapore since 6 yrs now and hence have not stayed at many Hotels in Singapore since 2006 . Except one stay at the RWSentosa.

My worst memory of the other Singapore Hotels that i have used are the rude porters......... BUT NOT at Fullertonbay Hotel ....... the porter and the concierge were very efficient and very very polite . Top points to them .

I had a voucher for a free nights' stay at the Hotel from AMEX .
The reception checked me into a Cityfacing room based on the package . I had a preference for a Bay facing room , the front desk staff were very very friendly and professional , they were happy to move me into the room of my choice at a nominal fee .

I accepted their offer ..... and believe me it was money VERY WELL SPENT .

They gave me a room on the 6th floor , and with a view to the Bay . The room was MOST Modern and exquisite .

It came with a small balcony which overlooks the Bay ... It is a great view and to add to it .... it also allowed us to watch the MBS light show in the night.

The Toilet and toiletteries were excellent

Porter and Concierge : Very good

Reception : A young Japanese man checked us in and he was very very efficient and professional . Not overly friendly , but just right .. made you feel comfortable and at the same time did his job effectively .

Poolside Staff : As we walked out of the lift on the Pool Level , we were greeted by a friendly hostess , who i believe was part of the restaurant / bar they operate there , but she made an effort to introduce the area and locatio of towels etc to us

Pool : Looks compact when you first see it , but once you jump into it ..... its perfect

Open air Jacuzzis by the pool : Very well built , providing sufficient privacy due to the hedges planted around it , open on one side giving you a view of the sea . The only constraint ..... they have built a walking path on the open side of the jacuzzi , so while we were in the pool one elderly gentleman just strolled by and was taking pictures of the sea view with his back to us. Not realising that we were in a jacuzzi in the back ..... but making my wife a bit concious , since it has a glass front . He was surprised when he saw us and smiled and moved on

Housekeeping : At check in , we requested an extra bed to be brought to us at 830pm . When it was 830pm i was thinking whether they would remember my request or i will need to remind them . But just after 830pm , there was a knock on the door. The man who came to layout the extra bed was efficient and friendly

Lantern : Nice place to chill out in the late evening with a glass of wine and light snack , on day beds or regular tables or high stools at the bar. Nice view and atmosphere.

A very much recommended Hotel , either for a family holiday .... or even business since its very well located a stones throw from the business district of Singapore

Room Tip: I recommend to ask for rooms on level 6 .... also request for Bay facing rooms .
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family