The Porcelain Hotel
US$395
US$312
PARKROYALhotels
  • Pool
Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$155
Novotel
  • Pool
Carlton Hotel Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$551
MarinaBaySands
US$302
  • Pool
Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore(Singapore)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$223
US$194
Official Site
  • Pool
All reviewschinatown stationrooms are smallheart of china townplace to sleepshort stayfood stallsrain showerhawkershampoo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2011

For me good location right on the border of China town. I ignoredthe other reviews thinking I could handle the small room. The room size isn't the bigest problem if you claustrophobic, not having a window, I found out how important that can be in a small room. First off you have know ideal what the weather is like till you get outside. Second you have know idea what time of the day it is if you don't have a watch on, the room is pitch dark without the lights on day or night. Really no place to put your clothes, but to leave them in your bags under the small space under the bed. Bathroom also very dark even with all the lights on, part of these was due to the black tile walls. The room was however clean with a comfortable bed that was basically the size of the room. The staff was kind and friendly. I would probly try some else if I went back to Singapore.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank meeko-rtw
Reviewed 31 May 2011

In order to make a reservation at this pricey hotel, one has to pre-pay through a website. Upon checking in, I was issued an 8 sq m room -- yes, you read correctly -- eight square meters. This room had NO WINDOWS, very poor ventilation -- and this was for US$120+ per night! The 3-4 sq m queen size bed occupied half the room, while the other half was occupied by the bathroom, ill-designed with the shower head directly above the toilet bowl soaking the toilet paper holder upon showering. There was no closet or luggage rack -- only two lonely hangars hanging on a wall hook -- and a tiny bedside table covered with glasses, tea kettle, etc. Having paid in advance, I was forced to endure six sleepless nights due to substandard wall and door construction, which allowed noise from the corridor to be easily heard throughout the night.

While the hotel boasts a no-smoking policy, my cramped room was constantly filled with cigarette smoke smell from the nearby hotel outdoor terrace which does allow smoking -- the smoke somehow gets sucked into the hotel. While smoke detectors and two exit stairs are provided at each floor, I cannot imagine how this hotel procured an operating license without an automatic sprinkler system and broom-closet sized guestrooms with no windows (from the fire evacuation plaque, windowless guestrooms comprise around 20% of the total rooms).

A backpacker inn a few doors down offered private rooms for around US$50. / night, which I am sure would have delivered a better experience. The only redeeming quality of this hotel is possibly the location (and even that's debatable), color-coordinated interior finishes, and the presence of a "Spa" (i.e. foot massage parlor; similarly overpriced) at the ground floor. This hotel felt like a smoky KTV lounge with very poor lighting in which beds had been installed. The space beneath the bed (the ONLY place for storing luggage) had various mismatched socks from previous guests lurking in the dark corners. Not surprisingly, housekeeping services stop at 17:00.

This has got to be one of the poorest values for money I've ever run across in Asia ... PLEASE don't waste your money and don't be fooled by the slick website. This hotel should be priced commensurate for what it is: a backpacker hostel.

Room Tip: Give this hotel a miss!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank bumbling_traveller
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We've stayed in many many hotels but this hotel certainly has the smallest room we have ever seen. We picked this hotel because of its location and price (under A$120) - however, if we had to stay longer, we would go insane. You literally walked straight onto the bed which was exceptionally high (to accommodate luggage under the bed as you have no other space in the room). However, you need to be fit to be able to climb up. We were lucky as the plumbers came saying there was a water leakage and they upgraded us to a "deluxe room" which was slightly bigger so at least we could put our 2 pieces of small luggage down.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myreview122010
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We were staying in this hotel for 2 nights and I don't think we will be going back based on what we have experienced. It is how the things go..... We were arranged to a very "special" non-smoking room which constantly can smell cigarette smoke in the room. When we attended to the reception, we realize that the smoking zone is outside our room(The smoke could have come from the small window in the room which not be able to close it) .
The receptionist was quite ignorant on this matter and just passed us a bottle of refresher to spray the room and he said it is all he can do to handle this. Sometime "a" bad apple could eventually spoil the customer perception on the hotel. Given all these, I would say I won't recommend anyone to stay in this hotel even though it is accessible to city. Please think twice before proceed on your booking
**P/S : When you check in to the hotel, you will be requested to sign an agreement on non-smoking room policy and a fine of SGD150 will be imposed if they found you smoke in the room... I was thinking what if it is in vice versa like for my case.... :)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thinktankec
Reviewed 17 May 2011

First of all to be fair I will say the good points of the hotel. It is half a block from Chinatown MRT and the Pagoda Street market is just the next street over which is great fun at night. I also loved their oriental logo, it was very cool and everywhere, the massive mural of it on the end of the building was pretty amazing!

But unfortunately, I just can not give this hotel a good review. By no means is it a rubbish hotel or revolting or anything, its quite pretty and new, the main part of the review basically comes down to the size of the room. They are just impossibly tiny.

At the time of booking the superior room had a better deal than a standard room so we took that, and requested a window. If this was the superior room, I have to ask, superior to what???!!!!

THE ROOM IS TINY!!! I had read the reviews and knew I was in for a small room and also that we would be out all day. But even the small amount of time we were in the room was not as small as the room itself!!

We had a queen bed that had walls on 3 sides. The window on one side of the bed was also tiny, and there was actually an inside window and and outside window to it. The inside window opened about 2 inches before it hit the bed and it was a struggle for me to even get my hand and a little camera out to take a photo of what our view WOULD have been if the window was bigger.

The bathroom has dark glass surrounding it, perhaps to give the illusion of the room being a little bigger than it is, but close couple or not, I don't want to be able to blatantly see my partner on the toilet while I lie in bed just 2 feet away. The glass wall separating the bathroom from the bed could be frosted, no reason why not.

There is nowhere to put your bags, you WILL be living out of your suitcase and if it is bigger than a medium sized suitcase, you will be tripping over it, wherever you try to stash it. There are two minature drawers in the minature bedside table but this barely held my underwear. There are two hooks over the bench with a couple of hangers on each, but if you put anything on the bench, your clothes aren't hanging straight, and forget it if it is anything longer than a short shirt, it will be touching the bench too.

The fridge is fitting with the room, pretty much only big enough for 3 bottles of water.

The airconditioning struggled a bit, we had it set at 16 but I think the room felt more like about 22 most of the time. They only gave us one keycard and you needed to slot it for the power to work, so when we took it out for the day the airconditioning went off. We asked for a second key to leave it in permanently because it is just too hard to come home to a hot room when the temperature outside was so searing. So we left the second key in the slot and got relief when we returned to our room for a few days but one day, no idea why, we came home to condensation on everything, the bathroom walls and glass, the mirror, and everything, carpet, bedclothes, our clothes that weren't tucked away in the suitcase, were all damp.

I was really disappointed and surprised that they don't offer a hospitality room for a shower before your late flight, I have never stayed in a hotel, not even a basic one, without one of these before, but luckily there are showers available for a fee at Changi airport.

There is no pool, and I won't stay at a hotel again in such a hot climate without a pool, but I did know the hotel didn't have one before we stayed, just didn't know I would struggle so much with the relentless heat.

The rooms aren't exactly dirty, but the bed never really got made perfectly, I don't imagine it is easy to make being surrounded on three sides but still. And the rooms seemed rather dusty, with the downlights in the black bathroom and the dark blue room, you were basically looking at spotlights full of dustbunnies. Each surface had a coating of dust. Pretty obvious when every surface was black.

I am 5'7", average height, but I had to bend my knees to look in the mirror and the overhead downlight made using the mirror impossible, you were looking at shadows on your face or in the dark, so for females who want to do hair and makeup, forget it. Take a hand held mirror. And at this height also, lying on my stomach meant my feet were flat up against the wall at the end of the bed, taller people would not be able to stretch out.

Its such a shame, this hotel has such potential, but quite frankly, they need to halve the amount of rooms and make each room twice the size. They are just too small, and unless you are a solo traveller with very little luggage, they are uncomfortably and suffocatingly small.

Singapore on a whole is an amazing city. We had 8 days and it was perfect for that time as we are thorough travellers. The heat is ALMOST bearable, just not quite!! But the mix of the old and the new and all the cultures, makes it one fascinating city that I don't think gets enough credit and people don't use as a holiday destination nearly enough. And of course, it being so clean is wonderful. It is not sterile, it is just CLEAN. And the MRT? Wonderful, every city, especially Melbourne, should take a leaf out of their book, it is flawless and so easy to use!!!

Room Tip: Get a superior room and make sure it has a window.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple