“Small, sleek and stylish”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 81 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Single traveller but 6'3", so booked a superior double. Found the room to be as expected - small but very well formed, certainly ample for my needs. The location is fantastic for Chinatown and the associated areas and good for the MRT. A pleasant walk to the different quays.

Room Tip: I asked for a superior double. It had a window and enough space.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Russ A

Reviewed 16 September 2011

The room was quite comfortable for a single traveler, and had all the amenities one would want. It was, however, tiny, so if you are wanting floor space, you should look elsewhere. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. I suspect I could have found a better price nearby, but Singapore is an expensive place to stay. This was a three minute walk from the train station, and was right beside a lot of very inexpensive booths for Chinese food.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank D W
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Having moved out of our hostel, we decided to upgrade to this hotel which was down the same street in Chinatown. It is in a great location! On early arrival, the staff advised us that we could check-in early and have the room for no extra cost. This was greatly appreciated as they'd also given us a favourable room rate (a lot lower than the advertised rack rate). Being in a superior room, we expected the room to be a decent size but it was tiny! Nevertheless, we had our own bathroom and what looked like a decent sized bed so we were happy.
At night, we arrived back to the hotel and went to have a shower. The water was cold so we called reception. They came to see us immediately but fobbed us off with the excuse that the water took a while to heat up after a shower. Well, no-one had showers that afternoon so we didn't believe that. The next morning, we had the same problem. We raised it at reception and it appeared to have been dealt with by our second night.
The noise outside on the street was terrible-try to get a room that doesn't face the street. We could hear conversations, loud bangs, you name it, and it went on all night on both nights of our stay. Neither of us had a good sleep on either night. We had a sleep-in on the first morning as we knew we had an early start the next day. This did not stop the cleaner waking us up and demanding to clean our room.
The staff also booked an early morning taxi for us on our last day as we had to head to the airport. We asked for it to be booked earlier to be told by reception that this was not possible. I told him that he should cancel it and book another. The staff didn't appear to have much initiative.
Our taxi arrived on time but it was a limousine taxi and it cost quite a bit more than the staff had advised us. We were not impressed.
Also, considering it is a new hotel, it smelt very damp.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel or don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A2T
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I booked this hotel through Agoda. The pictures were great, displaying some different decorations which came as the main attraction for me to choose this hotel. Well the decorations were different, but it remained me of bathroom, they literally cover the whole wall with porcelain. Now I know where the hotel got the name from. I don't know why it scores 7.0 in Agoda.

I'm not exaggeration, I thought the room in Europe is the smallest room in the world, but not after I slept in this hotel. The double room was not adequate for two persons. You hardly move. The only thing you can do once you get in the room is sleep and shower (thank God the bathroom was reasonable). There is no place to sit besides the bed.

I really have to mention this, besides the room was too small, there were ants all over us, and since we got a room next to the road, it was noisy like hell.

The positive side are, they provide free-wifi, and all the standard facility;private bathroom, TV, AC...

I definitely will not return to this hotel anymore. It costed us 100 usd/night, what a big lie! Never trust any review in Agoda anymore. I've felt really fooled!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank penulisoptimis
Reviewed 7 September 2011

The Hotel has beautiful design but not so practical.
Like everyone's review, lighting is very dim, especially Superior room. Executive room wasn't too bad, overall room is bright enough, but toilet lighting is still not bright enough. Mirror in the room is also kinda limited, they didn't provide a half/full body mirror, they only have one round mirror in the bathroom with dim lighting.
(Executive)There's a door between the room and the bathroom, but the door cannot be closed, so every time after bath, the whole room will fill with humid steam cause there isn't window and proper ventilation system.
Could be due to the improper ventilation system, the room always has a kind of damp smell.
My friend and my Aunt felt so itchy while they were sleeping, guess the bedsheets was not very clean.
Hotel staff were helpful but not friendly, we don't feel welcome at all. They were nice enough to solve our problems and give us some guide on Singapore, but they were kinda stingy on their smile.
Pretty disappointed for a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2011

It's hard to find decent, budget priced hotels in Singapore these days (unless you know of any?) so I chose the Porcelain primarily on price.

I'd read the reviews here about how small the rooms are but when you actually get to see them it's a bit of surprise just how really small they are. So small in fact that when I put the key in the door, I nearly broke the window.

Although there was no window to break - what I didn't expect was a room with no window, which I think should be internationally banned as cruel and dehumanising torture for any hotel guest. I had to tolerate the lab-rat existence for one night until they could find me a room with some daylight. But at least they did relocate me.

If you want some entertainment go and sit in the cafe opposite and watch as arriving guests wander up and down the road trying to find the entrance to the hotel. It's really not that obvious and it's not like there's a big sign stating "ENTRANCE".

Other than that, it's a fairly functional hotel: clean and tidy with comfortable large beds that fill the room. Just don't take too much luggage as you'll have no where to store it and you'll end up sleeping with it (there are no wardrobes or cupboards, just limited space under the bed).

And lastly, and this goes for most hotels, why do the door locks have to go "CUUURRLUMP" so loudly and the doors bang shut. The noise caused by other guests leaving/entering their room is highly distracting. Surely hotels could fit quieter doors/locks??

Room Tip: Get one with a window.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mmcg968
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Location - Great, hotel is close to the MRT with lots of food options nearby.

Room - As everyone has mentioned it's small, with no real room to move around so if you are travelling with someone you will literally be climbing over one another. The dim lighting presumably to set a mood just makes it hard to see in the limited space (you might want to bring a torch). Our room did have a small window, although the curtains were effective enough at blocking the light there was a small open vent next to it. The street is quiet enough as a whole but you can hear conversations clearly so I’d suggest in asking for a room on a higher floor as you could both hear and unfortunately 'smell' the nightly garbage truck (5mins and it's gone but still bothered me, would have been useful to be able to close the vent).

Although it's not all bad and on the positive side, the rooms were very clean, the shower was great and the free wifi is always handy. I found the bed to be comfortable and the aircon was quiet enough that I had generally decent sleep (although the aforementioned street noise did wake me up a couple of times). The big TV was fine for keeping up with the news and for background noise.

Food - Well, there is none in the hotel but being in China Town it's not much of a problem.

Service - Only ever had any interaction with the front desk when checking in and out, staff were polite although a little slow.

Overall - It suited our needs fine in being a decent base to explore from and somewhere clean and being 'relatively' cheap. Despite all the flaws I would recommend the hotel for very short stays. I didn’t think it was particularly good value for money but then I'm not sure you'll get much more staying elsewhere as Singapore is just a particularly expensive city.

Room Tip: I'd strongly advise asking for a room on a higher floor if you are facing the street.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple