“Will Avoid this one”

Ranked #5 of 79 Singapore B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Will Avoid this one”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of weeks, it was a bit of a nightmare.

1. Booking mucked up
2. Hot water in room stop working - made me late for office, hotel fixed
3. Next day hot water in room stop working again, hotel change me to another room
4. Woken in middle of night by big cockroach crawling up my leg, very scary.

Enter this place at your own risk

Room Tip: stay at another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Brent H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Porcleain is a nice designer hotel in Chinatown. Rooms are really small, but clean and good-looking, with stylish furniture and colours. Havent tried the breakfast. Very good place for transfer tourists, who need a place to spend 1-2 days in a clean bed and in the city centre.

Room Tip: They say some rooms are without windows
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank polynov
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My standards must be low -- take me to a clean place and I will be happy. Undaunted by the roasting that this poor hotel has gotten on Trip Advisor, I was lured by the relatively cheap price and booked a room through Agoda. My stay was pleasant.

1. Cost - I paid about SGD 119 for a single room. My office is bigger than the room that I got but it was tolerable. Clean, slightly dim, with a pretty window and my own toilet -- privacy is what you pay for and get. I arrived way before check-in so I rented a bed at a nearby hostel before coming to Porcelain. It's cheaper at a hostel because you share a bedroom and bathroom -- contend with snores, lights, bathroom territorial disputes, renting towels. Porcelain spared me from all that, so I'm grateful.

If you arrange to check-in early, you need to pay SGD 20/hour prior to 14:00. But if you go there before check-in to register and your room is available, they'll let you come in for free (I was 3 hours early).

Cash deposit for a single room was SGD 50.

I'm not going to say it was great value for money because the toiletries were pretty low-cost (cheap shampoo smell=sensory assault) and the price doesn't come with breakfast. For those things you'd have to go to an even pricier place in Singapore.

If you have lots of luggage, I'm not sure how you can fit in the room.

2. Tech: The others were not kidding about the limited TV channels -- no point in watching TV. Internet was poor but free. Hard to connect to certain sites like Foursquare and Instagram, but Facebook connections were breezy. These two aspects definitely need improvement.

Secure place with electronic key cards.

3. Service: This for me was the best part -- they don't waste your time, are infinitely polite and patient, with a view to meeting guests needs.

You can leave your luggage after check-out! If you want to roam Singapore and don't have time to check-out precisely at 12:00, just check-out early and leave your bag to avoid late check-out surcharges.

One block from Chinatown MRT Exit A and two blocks from Exit E. Fab location for shopping, sightseeing, food and access to everywhere else. Chinatown is a great place to stay!

No gym but you can jog towards Clark Quay -- there's a park there.

Pricey spa -- did not try.

Accessible for cab takers, too! Cab back to budget terminal cost me less than SGD 16.

Room Tip: Ask for a window -- I heard some rooms don't have those. A third floor is far enough from the st...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jen L
Russia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I booked two nights from promo action of booking system Ostrovok, 45 U.S. dollars per night. Located in Chinatown, on Masjid street. It looks gorgeous, but there are dark hallways, and was strong smell of dampness into the room. Staff are chilly.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Maxim77
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We booked a Superior room and were "upgraded" to a Deluxe. I haven't seen the Standard or Superior rooms, but I can't imagine that this one had much extra space - there was no surplus area you could remove!

There was nowhere to put our luggage except in the narrow strip on the way in to the room, and we kept tripping over it to get into the bathroom. The storage consisted of one drawer, a tiny hanging rail big enough for about 4 things, and a small high shelf in the closet. The rest of the closet was taken up by a small fridge, kettle, cups etc - the stuff they have to provide to get their star rating, probably. Personally, I would've preferred a little more storage space... I've seen small hotel rooms which are designed intelligently to maximise space, but this wasn't one of them.

There was no window, just a strange arrangement with a curtain over a strip light. The bed was walled in on three sides so you'd have to step over your partner to get out. There was so little space in the room that it was impossible for both to move around at the same time, one of you would have to stay on the bed.

The bathroom is a wet room with a shower over the whole thing - so you would need to remove the toilet paper and waste bin before you shower and there is nowhere to put your towel so you'd have to step out, wet, into the room to grab it.

After much sorting out of luggage, creative unpacking, and trying to make the most of it, we realised that we were going to be utterly miserable and tripping over each other all the time. We went to check out straight away, only to be met by rude and unhelpful staff who were trying to ignore the booking terms and conditions and get us to pay for the whole stay. Eventually we paid for one night and left - for a much better hotel at a similar price.

The free wifi is the only thing I could commend the hotel for, as it helped us to book an alternative place to stay!

I've never been happier to leave a hotel. I have no idea how it got its star rating, I can only think it must be a tick-box approach and they have managed to achieve the absolute minimum. It is probably fine for a single person with no luggage for an overnight stay but that is it.

Room Tip: Check the the fact sheet PDF on the hotel's website for room dimensions
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank DisplacedWelshie

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Palolem, India
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is essentially a jumped by hostel with very expensive, minuscule rooms. We had a superior room but it was so small it was a significant logistical exercise to open our suitcase. One person had to be on the bed while the other maneuvered.

The decoration and level of cleanliness are good, there is no restaurant for breakfast and the welcome is a little off hand and disinterested despite our best smiles.

Fine for business people on a short stay and with a small suitcase but not for a long say. I got cabin fever and started to feel claustraphobic!

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank JP_Cockain
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is a 4 star (don't think they pretend to be budget) hotel with modern, clean (at least mine was), albiet tiny rooms. As Singapore can be an expensive place to find a decent hotel, the concept of a hotel supplying modern, compact, reasonably priced rooms is a great idea. The only trouble with the Porcelain Hotel is that the rooms are not reasonably priced. In fact the rack rates advertised on their website would make Gerry Harvey blush.

Having said that I was happy with my stay. I stayed in a deluxe queen room which are new and slightly larger than the older rooms. The size of the room didn't bother me too much as I was staying alone. However if you are a couple with a bit of luggage, then you might be stretched for room. The staff are quite friendly and efficient. I had a small issue with my TV and someone came up to fix it straight away.

I would only stay here again if I received a heavily discounted rate. If you can book ahead of time, you can find similarly rated hotels but with normal sized rooms, for less money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo