“Could do better!”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 82 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

Walking into the hotels lobby you're met with the lovely fresh smell from the adjoining spa (unfortunately the rest of the hotel doesn't smell as fresh). Check in was painless and we were soon up in our room. The rooms are painfully small, to the point there was nowhere to put our cases.

The bathroom was tiny and you had to walk under the shower to the sink. However both room and bathroom were well cleaned and tidy and we had expected them to be smaller than you'd normally expect. My main gripe was that the room being so small meant the aircon unit was literally above your head, even with the fan on low I had a sore throat after day 2.

I did try and combat this by opening the window and turning the aircon off, however the extraction fans from a restaurant to the rear were directly below and the smell rising up was not the best!! The room also smelt very damp, including the bed, not horrifically so but enough to notice. The corridors were the same which I assume is just because it's impossible to air the rooms properly.

We travelled as a group of 14 to watch the Singapore GP and found the hotels location vs price the main attraction. I wouldn't necessarily return unless it represented a significant saving against other nearby hotels.

Checkout was a bit odd, we returned at 03:30 after heading into town post GP, I went up to the reception desk to see if there was a shower we could use the next day, the receptionist said this would be fine but then said we need to pay the bill now as the tills were being updated in the morning. I didn't have means of payment on me but was told that I must pay now! I had to get my credit card from the room and return, having had a few alcoholic drinks and being 03:30 I was not particularly impressed as I would have far preferred to be settling down to sleep. I was however annoyed to find out the next day when coming downstairs that the nobody else had been asked to do this and were all checking out fine. I was also further annoyed when i asked to use the shower as requested the night before to be told there would be a charge of $18! Being as there were 14 of us had I been told this before we would have booked a room to share.

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Land being the premium it is in Singapore, most hotel rooms are small, and this was no exception!
But if you just want somewhere to stay for a few days whilst you explore, then this is a great place. The rooms are small, but they're clean and even have tea and coffee making facilities. It doesn't provide breakfast, but is situated in an area with very many places to eat. Our beds were on a raised platform, about 18 inches high, so as long as you're mobile enough to get up and down from that, then this is a great place to stay (and maybe other rooms don't have raised sleeping areas).we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

I book this hotel one night before arrival via my iphone. I didnt really expect anything cos my budget is small. Lacation is first thing i make dicision.
But when i check in i found it quite immpressive especially room was very functional. Minimalize but fuctional. Good design amd just perfect for budget traveller if you want to go sentosa or universal studio.
It is in china town and easy to find food even early morning. Close to under ground train and night life at clearkey.
Very reccommend for foot massage in hotel. They took all my pain after walking all day away. Thank you soooo much!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Ok so I read the reviews on here and quite frankly I honestly don't know how anyone can say good thongs about it apart from the location and only then if you want to be in China town.

So I checked in on a Monday havin.g booked a deluxe queen room. When I walked into the the hotel reception my initial thoughts were 'why is it so dark in here'. I checked in and was handed my room key. I had to ask which way to go. Although not unfriendly the hotel staff were certainly not helpful until asked specific questions. I took the lift up to the second floor and thought 'Why is it so dark in here'.....the corridors were dark and dank.......I was then dreading what the room was going to be like. Upon entering the room my fears came true. They had given me a room for an Umpalumpah. There is literally nowhere to put anything and the small wardrobe is waist high. The bed was clean and reasonably comfortable. The shower is over the toilet so if you are a super efficient person then you will love it as you can take a sh1t and shower at the same time.

Next morning I asked could I have a bigger room. I was shown an 'Executive' room ( their term not mine) they said I could upgrade to this by paying the difference....I laughed...and told them I would check out. They gave me the upgrade (not sure which part was the upgrade, as only the bathroom was bigger) for free. This room was no better. No wardrobe, no drawers, just a bed hemmed in on 3 sides.

The place is quite frankly no better than a cheap hostel, but charging mid-range hotel prices. I paid £82 per night plus taxes.

Overall opinion is its a dump. Stay away.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Kev C
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed 3 nights and found it very good, location was excellent with the mrt station beside the hotel which was great to get around, alternative eating options are available just outside the hotel, the rooms are small but very comfortable. The staff is kind and nice with very professional behaviour. I would realy recommend for everybody who wants to taste the real flavour of Chinatown. The only disadvantege is absence of restaurant. But around the hotel there are many small chinese foodshops where it is possible to buy meals.

Room Tip: Superior rooms may be better
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenneth J
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is very new, room is small but clean.The location is AWESOME, just next to Chinatown MRT station, plenty of bus to go anywhere, Its very convenient to go arround Singapore, Sentosa just a view stop, orchard,clarke quay,Bugis,Suntec easily reached. Food stall all arround the hotel from morning till night.Alot of nice food arround there, you can go to Smith street hawker center at 2nd floor, behind the CK department store, there got alot local famous food and its very cheap. Also you can visit a very good dessert next to Mc Donald. or you can go to OG, arround there also got a nice hawker center and very cheap.If you dont mind to walk, you can walk to Clarke quay at a night time :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

My room was really nice. I booked a single room but got a double bed for the same price, cause the single ones were full. It was clean and modern and the bathroom was beautiful! the rooms might be a bit small if you are more than one person and the bathroom is all made of glas walls, but for a single traveler it is great. You get free wifi and safetybox in the room. The price is quite high, but I did struggle with finding anything cheaper and still good quality. I would stay here again if I ever go to Singapore again.

• Stayed: January 2012