“Cheap and not too far from downtown”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #5 of 80 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 February 2013

and thats about the best you are going to hear from me about the hotel. I say not too far from downtown but I don't mind walking and it is about 20-25 minutes from Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay. My room had no windows and was probably, with the bathroom included, maybe 6 feet by 12 feet. It was definitely the most interesting place I have ever stayed and would no probably go back unless I seriously upgraded the room. There was no separate shower and was in between the toilet and the sink which were maybe 3 feet from each other which caused a problem because when I took a shower, everything got wet including the toilet paper. In hindsight, I would probably remove the toilet paper before showering. Luckily I didn't hadn't planned on, nor did I, spend much time in the room. It was sufficient for sleeping and getting in from the rain (though I couldn't tell when it stopped since there was no window.) The room was also painted either black or dark blue, I can't remember which, which also made it feel more confining.
The staff did seem pretty nice, however, though I only had minimal interraction with them.

Room Tip: Upgrade and make sure that your room has a window
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Amerikki
There are newer reviews for The Porcelain Hotel

Reviewed 12 February 2013

Very close to Chinatown is the bonus, lower priced than many other hotels and nicely organized and clean. for me the room are not small it's fit for me.Room are really comfortable not noisy Value for money and polite staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have a problem with room upgrade fee charge.
I stayed at the hotel on 21-24 Sep 2012 on Formula one peroid. I booked on single room but I would like to upgrade to double room so I email to hotel directly, they promised they will reserved for me.
But when I arrived hotel they said they forgot so they offer me to upgrade from single room to suite room with same double upgrade fee , then I am OK.
But when I checked out they charged me for
1. upgrade fee from single to double room
2. upgrade fee from double to suite room
With my accidently I have signed on my credit slip because I thought that a guarantee fee because it was offline slip. When I saw the bill payment so I still think that it was a guarantee but it was not. How can they charged me for double room?

I contacted the hotel but they said only I have signed so I must pay.
So disappoint and I will never go back again. I have paid for 3 rooms with three stars only = 2,394 SGD
That was my stupid to stay at this hotel
Sawarin Thailand

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Sawarin
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Nothing special nothing bad. Very close to Chinatown is the bonus, lower priced than many other hotels and nicely organized and clean very small rooms. Rooms a little noisy but thats why we take earplugs. :]
Value for money and polite staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have stayed at the Porcelain Hotel 5 or 6 times on business, but sadly I will never stay there again. Yes, the rooms are tiny, but I knew that before I booked. They do a good job of organizing the space to maximize its utility, and have on several occasions kindly offered me a free room upgrade. The rooms are quiet and the bed is comfortable, which is important because there's not enough space in those rooms to do anything else but sleep. The location is very convenient, with public transport links nearby. There's no restaurant inside the hotel, but Singapore is food heaven and this neighborhood is full of all-night food venues.

When I last stayed at the hotel, I was extremely jetlagged and stupidly left some rather expensive items in one of the cabinets. I phoned the hotel the next day to ask after them. The person I spoke to said nothing had been found, but that he would ask again and email me the next day with a status report. I never heard back from him. Since then, I have sent 3 emails to the various hotel email addresses to enquire about my lost items, but I never even had a single reply to acknowledge my messages.

This shoddy service is extremely disappointing. I had hoped that the hotel valued my business enough to at least reply to my multiple messages about my left items. I won't be staying there again. Sad.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed in a room with window facing white and lush backyard with appropriate air circulation. Just like any other boutique hotel in Singapore, they work quite hard on the image and style. Being extremely close to the MRT is one of the hotel's winning point. Yes, the room was small, as stated by other reviewers so no shock horror. It was decent for a small Asian couple and the staffs were helpful and friendly. It was a nice stay, afterall.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ida M
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Location is excellent. Walking distance to Singapore's MRT which means you can practically go anywhere in Singapore at a very low cost of transportation. It is also located in China town where the food is superb and also cheap. It also a street adjacent to Singapore's Pagoda St., where you can buy cheap souvenirs from Singapore.

The rooms are small but clean. We occupied two rooms but one of them doesn't have window so as if we are inside a cell. Claustrophobic person should take note.

Overall the hotel is ok, however when we checked out, we were advised that the credit card charge slip in the amount of 100 Sing Dollar would be on hold for 3 days. I asked why this is so inasmuch as all hotels I was booked in the past doesn't do this, upon checking out, they tear right away the charged slip. Explanation was given to us but not clear enough. I think they are holding the charged slip for 3 days so that if later on they found something wrong with the rooms we occupied, then they will charged me, which is very unfair and a practice which should be abhorred. To future occupants, before checking in at this hotel, please clear this matter first.

• Stayed: January 2013