“Average is good for budget stay”

The Porcelain Hotel
Ranked #6 of 82 Singapore B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Room are really small, but great location, 5 minutes walk from MRT station, lot of choice for restaurant. Tidy room but light source not enough at room inside and gloomy corridor, carpet inside room need more cleaning . Overall it is a comfortable choice than a backpacker inn.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marco H

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Value for money as its closeness with Chinatown MRT, clean but very small room. No breakfast.
The decor use a lot of porcelain, emphasizing its name. Nearby Chinatown market and a lot other budget hostel in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vayastra
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It took me some time to adjust to how small the room is. I think all the hotels and hostels on this street have small rooms, because they're basically two stories stores made into hotels. Once you see beyond the size, you start to see that it is well managed, they design the furniture smart and space saving. TV is literally on your bed, hung to the wall, although it is connected with a coax cable, so nevermind your 42 inch LCD TV, it's not going to be HD anytime. Might as well, you only have 8 channels, nothing good is on.
Getting to and from the room is also a problem. Halls are narrow, and I managed to got out of a back exit (I think) and missed the lobby altogether.
Many restaurants near here, not loud the time I stayed here.
The stay is okay. I can picture myself having a retreat in this hotel for a couple of days. Too bad this was a business trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Teddy B
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I had read the previous reviews about this hotel here in TripAdvisor. The reviews mostly mentioned that the size of the rooms were too small and the location was a bit noisy. Despite these feedback, I decided to try this hotel.

I stayed at Porcelain hotel for 3 nights in July. The location is very near the Chinatown MRT and when you step outside, just outside the corner is a beef jerky shop called Bee Cheng Hiang. There are nearby shops that are open til late at night where you can buy inexpensive souvenirs. I found a store selling Tintin merchandise and I was pretty happy about that find :D

The area is pretty safe, I think even at night, except perhaps if you bump into a drunk person (there are bars in the nearby streets that cater mostly to foreigners, I believe). Other than that, the location for me is perfect since Chinatown MRT is just a few stations away to Marina Bay Sands and Universal Studios Singapore, which was were I went for my holiday.

As for the room, I was actually pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a single bed, but they gave me what I think is a queen size bed on the second floor. The room is very clean, and has a modern look to it. The bathroom is especially chic with its dark blue tiles and round etched mirror. The room comes with a flat screen, water boiler, small fridge, hair dryer and free mineral water as well as fast WiFi :D

The size of the room is probably small for two people, but since I was alone in the room it was mostly sufficient. However, luggage space is a bit limited if you travel with large rolling luggage. I had to position my luggage vertically... parallel to the bed so that I could open and close it. I stored it in the indentation under the bed. There is no closet in this room as well, but I didn't really need it since I just pull out my clothes from my luggage when I need it. Other than this, I'm pretty satisfied with this hotel.

The front desk also offers discounted tickets to various attractions including Gardens by the Bay, Universal Studios, etc. I saved $3 SGD for my Gardens by the Bay tickets when I bought them here. I think you need to inform the front desk in advance (at least 24 hours) if you are buying multiple tickets.

Overall, I was rather pleased with my stay at Porcelain Hotel. I'm willing to stay at this hotel again when I visit Singapore :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here because it wasnt super expensive and to a Singapore virgin the location seemed good. The place was close to perfect. Yeah the rooms are weird but the shower was awesome, bathtub i fit in, wifi excellent and all the staff we encountered pleasant. If the aircon was cold all the time instead of 60/40 operational The Porcelain would have scored Exccellent.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We wanted to find a reasonably priced hotel a short stay in Chinatown district of Singapore. Couldn't fault the location, but did not look forward to return to the room every night. Don't expect any nice comfortable luxuries ... Or room to stow anything away other than your toothbrush. Spacious it is not.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Convenient location and cleanliness are the two good things I can say for this hotel. But other than that, I felt I paid too much for too little. The room, at least the one I was in, was designed with an impractical layout. The wash basin is sadly installed outside and away from the bathroom itself, behind the bed and nearer to the room’s door. And while listening to people chatting as they walked down the corridor was not a pleasant thing, being kept awake by baby cries from the next room was much worse. The walls must be quite thin.

For the price charged and given my unexceptional stay experience, I believe my rating is fair. The hotel I stayed at in Singapore on a previous occasion was about 20% more expensive but much more comfortable and worth every SGD paid. You can check my review record for the entry made on November 12, 2013.

Room Tip: No particular tip. Good luck.