“Basic room with poor soundproof.”

ibis Singapore Novena
Ranked #98 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Basic room with poor soundproof.”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The nearest MRT stn to ibis Novena is at Novena Stn.It take you at least 10mins walk from stn with lots of up and down slops route along Irrawaddy Road.
My first impression of the hotel is that the lobby is small without much aircon and luggages were kept all over the lobby.I got a 2 single beds room located at 10 floor(highest floor).There are 3 new lifts available, travel at a slow speed.My room was right at the corner,room was slighly spacious compare with other buget htl.There is not even any city view from my rm as is block by another higher appartment which is very close to the htl.The htl provide free strong Wifi,32inch LCD TV,coffee/tea maker and a tiny little fridge(just big enough for ONLY 2 small bottle of water)
The bath room was tiny without bath tub and some basic of toiletries.I would like to highlight is that there is not even a single hander for you to hand your towel or clothes inside the bath rm.
My nightmare came when about to sleep. The soundproof of the room was horrible,I heard ppl chattering,slaming the door etc.Early in the morning I even heard ppl rushing for chk out.I can hardly have any slp during the night.
The breakfast was "just OK'' which cost SGD$15++,they serve about 7 hot dishes (include plain steamed rice and porridge)which taste "so so",fruits,beverages and pastries.Their worse dish is their fried noodle which taste cold n soggy other then that other dishes still acceptable.Overall I prefer to a cup of hot cafe latte serve with hot toast bread.
Even ibis are classified as buget hotel but is still cost about $220 for my one night stay.If got other choice with this type of hotel rate in SG I would never choose ibis Novena.Located wise I don't find it convenient even the htl provide hourly(not every hr) free shuttle service to Novena stn or even Orchard but you hardly get a chance to reserve a seat as the "bus" only take up 10 pax per trip.I tried to reserve the day before but from 10-12pm were all fully book.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank morinaga
GuestServices_GM1, Manager at ibis Singapore Novena, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the constructive feedback and positive comments and we really appreciate that you share with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to your recent stay here.

At Ibis, we take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction. Unfortunately , we did not meet your expectaions in some area. we will address this issue with the team and make improvement.

Kindly contact me at www.H7451-fo@accor.com, I would like to keep in touch with you for more detail on lapse our service delivery.

Warm Regards

The Guest Services Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Belmont, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

On arrival, made to feel welcome and we were offered refreshing cold dinks while checking in. Staff were very friendly and eager to please, nothing was too much trouble. Room was a good size and well appointed. Also had free WiFi which really is a must these days.
Nice restaurant with excellent meals. Plenty to choose from at breakfast buffet.
Located away from Singapore CBD but there are busses going past. MRT station is a bit of a hike to get to but taxis are cheap.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darra A
GuestServices_GM1, Manager at ibis Singapore Novena, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Singapore Novena.It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback so enable us to improve further.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are grateful for your support and look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ibis Singapore Novena.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Close to novena station. Basic rooms. Food at the restaurant is very good!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo

Perth
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel as part of a Singapore Stopover Holiday. I stayed in room 415 and the rooms sort of reminded me of a dorm. Not that this affected the rating I gave, but just an observation.

The hotel is a brisk 10 minute walk (more like 15 minutes normal walk) from the Novena MRT station. There are buses along Balestier Road, for those who are a bit more adventurous and want to try a bus rather than the MRT or a taxi. It’s only a few bus stops to Velocity Mall (which you can walk through to the MRT). We travelled with someone who couldn’t walk too far or too fast, so the bus stop near the hotel was very handy (turn left as you exit the hotel, turn right on Balestier Road, walk past the temple and there is a bus stop just a couple of minutes away).

There are a lot of local eateries in the area, within walking distance. We had planned to eat in the area but unfortunately just never got around to it.

We would often meet up in the lobby, and water from the air-conditioning vent above would drip onto us and the floor. We did see workmen working on the ceiling area a couple of times, but the dripping still occurred.

There are wooden floorboards in the rooms, which means that chair scraping from the room above can be heard. So, try to be considerate and not to push or pull your chair too early in the morning or too late at night (lift it instead :) And there are no free slippers, at least not in the standard rooms, so take some along or buy some if you don’t like to walk on hard floors.

There is a large flat screen TV, an in-room safe and small hanging space for clothes. The fridge is not really a fridge, but more like a cool box that can fit a couple of bottles of water or cans of drink.

The wi-fi was free, but was definitely better in the mornings. At night, it would frequently cut out and you had to constantly log back in.

The walls are solid enough and I never heard a peep from the next rooms. The biggest annoyance came from other guests yelling in the corridors (as the sound can be heard through and from under the door).

The shower area only had a small soap rack and not enough space to hold all my toiletries (as I don’t like placing them on the floor). The usual freebies were provided (shower cap, soap, coffee & tea, etc), but they did forget to replace my shower cap twice, and my coffee once. The water in the shower often went hot, cold, hot, cold.

I found the bed to be nice and comfy, and the pillows were nice and medium (not too hard and not too soft).

The little rubbish bin is kept in the toilet, which I found inconvenient. So every evening, when I returned to my room, I would move it next to the desk… and every morning when the room was cleaned the hotel staff would move it back to the bathroom.

There were a few inconsistencies between rooms. From memory, a couple of examples are:
- I did not have a “Do Not Disturb” sign and was never given one for the whole 10 night stay (the others had one).
- My bathroom didn’t have the sign asking guests to conserve power by re-hanging towels to be used and throwing towels to be replaced on the floor, but others did. Most of the time, if I hung my towel on the back of the chair it was replaced with a new one anyway, but once it was not.
Nothing earth shattering, just something I noticed.

The check in and check out processes were simple. I didn’t personally experience any problems there. However, a fellow travel buddy was charged for a local call they are adamant they didn’t make (as it was less than $1, they didn’t bother disputing it).

All in all, the hotel was fine. The hotel was VERY cheap due to the special stopover deal, so at that price I would definitely stay again. However, I would not pay full rack rate for this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravellingSandgroper

Warm Regards

Las Pinas
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Just needed a clean, comfortable bed for a couple nights. I got it. The location is walking distance to the Novena MRT. There is a small shopping center close by and a few places to eat as well. Location is not central - airport taxi didn't know where it was. Ok if you are on a budget.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo