“Nice, cute comfortable rooms, good value, good location.”
Review of @ Little Red Dot

@ Little Red Dot
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

First of all, the rooms are quite cute - you're given a little capsule to yourself, with a night light, power plug and a curtain. The bed is comfortable, but the curtain is a bit see through so I guess you don't get a whole lot of privacy, and plus the light gets in if someone decides to sleep with their light still on.
My 8 bed dorm which i booked was actually a 10 bed dorm - this wasn't a big deal for me but I guess you expect to get what you pay for, not something different.

Nice location, close to an MRT station so it's easy to get around anywhere in Singapore. Plus it's close to little India and jalan besar where there's a 24 hour food court.

The service was alright, very laid back but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Although it would have been nice if staff offered to help with carrying bags up and down the stairs, they kind of just looked on at you struggling...
The first night I stayed there, we were taken out on a 'food tour' around the area by the cute young guy that worked there. It was really nice and gave us an insight into Singapore food culture, and the friendliness of that one staff member gave a really good first impression.

Overall a nice, laid back hotel with relatively friendly staff, just don't expect top service.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed it! Ther're a lot of cool young people. Breakfast was one of the best on our journey - toast, jam, milk!, cornflakes, coffee, tea.
We slept in the capsules and it was nice, because you have some more privacy. Shared bathroom was not the cleanest one but good for a hostel. There were some cockroaches here and there but that's not so bad :)
Also they have a lot of common area and wifi everywhere available.
The staff was cool and helped us with our questions.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexGKK
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We booked 2 nights in 2 cubicles.
After first night I woke up late around 2 pm in the afternoon and went to explore city when I noticed loads of bites on both my upper legs and bum.I assumed They were bedbugs bites. I experienced them before i know what they look like. Upon arrival to the hostel which was late around 8pm I notified the staff. They offered me to change my linen and inspect the cubicle. My reply was that I do not wish to stay there any longer and want to change hostel as I do not wish to get more bites. I was told that they will be kind enough !!!!! not to charge us for the second night that we booked but we have to pay for the first. I believe that asking somebody to pay for a bedbug infested bed is a bit of a joke so I refused saying that my friend will pay for his but I am not happy paying for mine. So in reply I have heard that its already late and we HAVE TO PAY for BOTH nights !!!!!!! Bedbugs is the worst what can happen to the hostel business yet in this place it was taken lightly . Staff argument being they didn't notice them on my bed ie they are not there! I think you don't need to be overly intelligent to know that they do not just run through the linen all the visible to everyone !! I have never been treated like this anywhere in the world. And to prove i am not a con i even flashed my bum to one of the staff. as funny as it sounds it really wasnt but being treated like a cheat who is trying to avoid payment it isnt a nice feeling. I think that the opinion of Red Dot being one of the best hostels in Singapore is a massive exaggeration ( dirty entrance stairs and corridor, all shower doors broken and I don't think the blankets they give to their guests been washed recently if at all and that's probably where the bedbugs problem lies ) and they abuse this status and don't really care any more ! Sad !!
The only thing nice in the hostel is the atmosphere but that's created by other backpackers !!
I would not recommend this hostel to my biggest enemy !! I

• Stayed: October 2013
8  Thank Slawa W
rl86, Manager at @ Little Red Dot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Slawa,

Thank you for reserving 2 nights to stay with us at the Little Red Dot.

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us, it offers us a balanced view to an issue that the management treats with great importance.

When you raised the problem to our reception staff, management was immediately informed.

Unfortunately, while we were keen to speak to you over the phone to understand the situation right away - you had requested that the manager/owner turned up to speak to you in person over this matter. We regret that we were not able to make the trip within such short notice and thus, missed the chance to offer you an immediate and fair answer to your claim.

You had booked to stay in our capsule beds - we assure you that this is the first time that we have received a complain about bed bugs in the room, after more than a year in operation. We are confident of this, as our capsules are designed with features that do not encourage bed bugs to thrive.
Nevertheless, we recognise that we can never guarantee 100% bed bugs free - thus we offered to check your bed , and change the linen. You are right in that bed bugs hide themselves well and are not easily visible right away, which is why we had trained our staff to spot bed bug trails (droppings and blood stains) - they did not find any.

With regards to the blanket, we can guarantee that they are fresh and washed - this is a standard that we would not let pass even for ourselves, much less to say for our guests.

Our staff understood from you that you had visited Sentosa in the day time, and you discovered your bites out at the beach at Sentosa. We cannot confidently answer you whether the bites from the photo that you posted are bed bug bites, or any other type of insect bites.

When we encounter such problems, our first concern is always to ensure you have a comfortable and safe night's rest - and not to send you out to look for another accommodation at the late night. We could help you by changing the linen, blanket or bed, and even buying cream to help you sooth the itch.

We believe in your claims - and we sincerely ask for your understanding for a fair solution to us too. When you ask for a full refund on the stay - we make the painful decision to decline your claim, as we know that if we agree to it easily, this sets a stage for other travellers to come to us with the same claim and ask for a refund from us. The business would not be sustainable given this scenario.

We were willing to refund a 50% for your stay, unfortunately we were unable to offer this refund to you, since we could not reasonably reach the hostel within 20 minutes to receive your feedback.

We welcome you to write to us directly, so that we can offer you an appropriate answer/make-up for your experience.

We thank you for your feedback, and assure you, and future guests, that the Little Red Dot will put in place checks to prevent the same occurrence of this incident.

Regards,
Management of LRD

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I saw a lot of hostels during my trip trough South East Asia. Singapore was the last destination on this trip and The Little Red Dot was one of the best decisions, a place I can definitely call home now!
The staff was very friendly and helpful concerning what to do in the city. Listen to Jonathan if you wanna see the real Singapore!
The bright and open lounge feels lika a living room. In the morning it's a kitchen where you can have all you can drink and eat toast, jam, coffee and tea. It's the best place to meet new people to discover the awesome city together. Also in the evening is there a good atmosphere. You'll never feel alone.
The rooms are quiet and with aircon - I'm not a fan of aircon but you'll need that in Singapore! There was also a big fan for some fresh air during the day! The beds were clean and comfortable.
The bathroom has clean toiletts and a couple of warm showers - its not that you would need the warm water ;) ..and I never saw queues.
Compared to the rest of South East Asia are the prices in Singapore a liiiittle bit higher but this hostel was one of the cheapest. I loved thad place and will definitely stay there again should I ever get the possibility to return to that beautiful city,

Room Tip: If you wanna have a little bit more privacy spend a little bit more money and choose the capsuls dow...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anika254
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hostel is highly recommended!! The rooms and the facilities are always clean, you get free breakfast and free wifi, the staff is very friendly and can organise you any trips! Next train station is just a 5 minute walk, so best starting point to explore Singapore!
But most of all it was Jonathan who made our stay to something very special for us! It felt like a home far away from home!
Well, actually we intended to stay there for just two nigths..finaly we stayed there the whole two weeks we had in Singapore! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 841Sarah
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Staff are very friendly & can organise any trips that are needed. Hostel has a laid back vibe, can chill on the rooftop, very clean, free breakfast & great wifi.
Only complaint is about out of the way, however train station is only a 5minute walk.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Me and my friend stayed here this September in peak season. The price still cheap while other hostel rise their price. There was a problem with our booking but they fix it and gave us refund for the amount we paid. About 500 m from lavender station so I prefer to walk there and get the mrt than ride the bus (the bus station only 100 m). At the first night we stayed at the bunk beds female dorm upstairs. A bit noisy since there's a big window there. At the second night we moved to the real capsule room. My capsule was on the highest level near the ceiling but I don't mind since I have more space. But to climb the ladder was a bit pain and dangerous. The staffs were very helpful thanks to Jonathan and Desmond. Will stay here again if I visit Singapore later.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends