“Comical. Bumbling. Fire Alarm.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality

Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #37 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Comical. Bumbling. Fire Alarm.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here one night before moving into our new condo next door. I'm sure if you stay here you'll be able to guess which condo it is. Our thought was we should check it out to decide whether we should guests who visit us in Singapore there.

Good:
- Clean rooms
- Near hospital (this place gets a lot of medical tourists)
- On top of Novena MRT (this can go either way - personally I'd stay closer to city if I was visiting as a tourist)
- Nice pool. Not to crowded. There are usually chairs available. (I see it everyday from my condo)

Bad:
- Service: Singapore is not the most customer driven place to begin with... but this place took it to a whole new level. The vibe I got was nobody was in charge or knew what to do. Kinda lame.

- Fire alarm: This place has a problem with its fire alarm system - ie. it goes off often. I stayed here 1-night in December. The alarm went off at 3am. I asked an employee about it. He rolled his eyes and said "after heavy rain, the alarms get shorted". I interpret this as poor electrical work, dripping water and moisture triggers the alarms. In Singapore it rains a lot.

- Everything is OK Alarm: I believe Homer invented this on an episode of the Simpsons. Basically its an alarm that goes off to tell you everything is OK. The Oasia thought this was a good idea. After the 3am alarm finally gets turned off, just as you're about to fall asleep, the "everything is OK alarm" goes off. It is just as loud as the fire alarm. Brilliant!

UPDATE

So I've been living next to this hotel for 2-months now and they haven't fixed the alarms yet. I hear the fire alarm get triggered about twice a week - often late at night. The Oasia still annoys me on a bi-weekly basis with their stupid fire alarms. I can only imagine how the guest who stay there feel. Especially the poor couple who got married there last night. Keep up the good work guys ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for a reservoir or North facing room. Otherwise you'll be facing a giant condo. More specifi...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank stoneman60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Stayed at the Oasia for two nights in late July 2011. The hotel/room provided great comfort after my 27 hour journey from Chicago. The hotel had only opened a few months earlier but one would never know it. The service was great. The staff was very professional, respectful and caring. They really had their act together. The buffet breakfast in the hotel was plentiful with both western and asian choices. The room was a bit small but that's to be expected in hotels in Asia. There were no cabinets to place clothes which meant i had to "live" out of my suitcase. But for two nights it didn't matter much. The location was very good being next to a medium size shopping mall and easy access to the Novena MRT station. Its easy to navigate around Singapore staying at this hotel. I was also able to travel to Changi airport by MRT door to door within one hour. The room rates are very reasonable compared to what you might pay in the hotels in the Orchard Rd. area. I would definitely stay here again and likely will when I travel to Singapore again in 2013.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank LoveSEAsia35805
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Me and my husband was looking for a one-day get away from home and also to watched the big match Man U against Liverpool! Went through a few hotel websites and so decided to stay over at the Oasia as it was listed that they have satellite channels. When we came over to the check in counter at the lobby, we were told that our check in will be done on the 22th floor as our reservation was for a club room and so we were escorted up by Nathan to 'The Living' room. Check in was pleasant. We were served by Han Fen and welcome drinks and cold towel were served by Elica. They were very nice and friendly. Han Fen also informed us about the free unlimited internet access , the free minibar , the evening cocktails and breakfast that was included in our club room package. After check in was done, Elica showed us to our room. She was very nice and helpful. She explained to us on how to log on to the free internet access in the room. The evening cocktail spread was good. Highly recomended. The Big game that we were looking forward to watch in the comfort of our own room starts at 845pm. We went through all the tv channels only to find that the channel was not available. We called for assistance but the lady who picked up our call told us that the channel was under some maintainance and there is nothing much she could do about it. Shd called back like 10 minutes later to inform us that actually they do not have any satellite channels at all! We were very confused at the same time utterly disappointed. The hotel's website did mentioned that there is satellite channels in this hotel and because of its convenient location and the availabilty of the satellite channels we had booked for this stay... very disappointing... Already upset by the situation, the noises that is along the corridor just made the stay even more unpleasant. We ordered midnight snacks, fries and chicken wings, requested for chilli sauce and mayonnaise but ketchup and mayonnaise wad delivered instead. I guess the room service staff just served us blindly. The morning breakfast spread was very upsetting. There were not enough seats and were had to seat right at the end if the pool for breakfast which is so far away from the buffet table. Overall , I feel that the hotel needs room for more improvements.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank ErnyShazly
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Oasia Hotel is relatively new; it is connected to the Novena Medical Center and Ten Tock Seng Hospital, the former of which is catering to the Medical Tourism trade. The hotel is about 100 feet from the Novena MRT (subway) station on the red line (north-south line). (by the way, the MRT system is very impressive: easy to use, cheap, and efficient. It is pretty crowded during rush hour, however.)

There is, by US standards, a massive indoor mall right next door to the hotel (by Singaporean standards, it is just another mall!) with grocery stores, a ton of restaurants, shops, etc. No hawker stalls nearby, but if you go one stop on the MRT to the Newton station, there is the Newton Food Center across the street which has excellent hawker stalls and is very cheap.

The hotel room I had was on the 13 floor: a little bit small by US standards, it was comfortable nevertheless. The room was clean and relatively quiet. I had two twin beds (not by request) and they were pretty comfortable. The bathroom is fine: walk in shower, no tub, and the basic amenities. They offer a massive breakfast buffet that came with my room rate featuring waffles, eggs, vegetable curry (yum!), bacon, sausage, and pretty much anything else you could want. It gets very crowded and you end up sharing tables. Wifi is NOT free ($22 SGD daily). At least the connection had pretty good speed. There are a few English-speaking channels on the flatscreen TV (ESPN, CNN, BBC, Bloomberg).

On the 8th floor, there is a workout room with a few barbells, treadmills, and a bike. Not much to speak of, but enough to break a sweat. There's a very nice pooldeck with a small kids pool and a jacuzzi. There's no poolside service that I saw, however.

Osaia is not a resort hotel. There is no concierge, at least not for the non-club patrons like me. The front desk folks try to be helpful though. It is more along the lines of a business hotel: well located, clean, convenient, and efficient. There were a ton of people staying here that seemed to be part of an organized group travel operation, I think. If that's the sort of place you're looking for, I think this is a very good hotel to stay in. However, if you're a first time visitor to Singapore and you anticipate needing a lot of help with travel/touring/dining plans, you might want to consider staying at a more "full service" (read: expensive) hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

I was just here for a week in a club room; I think it is great and the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. Arriving in the evening, I was escorted directly to the club lounge to check in. Afterwards, I was encouraged to stay and have a drink while my luggage was taken to my room, which I was happy to do. My room on the 21st floor was small, but very nice, with a minimalistic Asian-zen vibe, good view over the city and a fantastic bathroom with rain shower and Thann bath stuff.

There was a ton of extras included with the club room; breakfast, suit pressing and evening cocktails/hors d'oeuvres. It didn't seem as if internet was included, so each day I bought another 24-hour package...I think it was around SGD 25. I was in SIngapore to find a place to live, so in the evenings I would come back from house (er...tiny, non-descript condo) hunting and relax in the lounge. After my second visit, the staff remembered my drink preference (2 G&T's, followed by red wine) and were politely curious as to how my day had gone, where I had been looking at places to live and had helpful comments on all the neighborhoods I had been visiting.

The very sweet maid quickly learned my schedule, and every morning when I went to the lounge for breakfast, she would clean my room and have it ready by the time I got back. Speaking of breakfast, there was a changing variety of Asian and Western options each morning, and there was always very good pastry, bread, cheese, and smoked salmon. Evening hors d'oeuvres were varied as well; crackers, cheese, salsa and chips were constant. Overall, the food wasn't exceptional but it was more than acceptable and I skipped dinner altogether on several occasions because there was a lot of it.

The hotel location is quite convenient, with an MRT right alongside, as well as a shopping mall with a ton of stores and restaurants. At check out, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that internet was included in the room rate, as well as the mini-bar and I was escorted downstairs to a waiting taxi and thanked profusely for my business.

All in all, a great stay and great value.

Room Tip: Rooms are very small. If you need space, a suite may be a better option, although I didn't see...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

It's located near Orchard Road, besides a mall and MRT Station. Nice room and I love the bathroom since the first thing I will check on a hotel is always the bathroom.

Room Tip: Choose the room with pool view window and at the corner.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank amourshelly
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Amourshelly,

Thank you for your review and we are happy to know that you have enjoyed your experience in our hotel. We look forward to having another opportunity to be of service to you again.

Kind Regards,

Richard Lee
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Having only opened in April 2011, this hotel is a great new hotel to stay at.

In my opinion, the best hotel I stayed at so far in Singapore, has been the Conrad hotel. Oasis, takes the runner up place.

Location is great as there is a mall next door. If you take MRT, there is a station right in front of the hotel.

Overall, the price is rather cheap for such a nice hotel.

One thing though, because it is a new hotel, I have been given inaccurate info by the staff at least 3 times. So make sure to reconfirm what you have been told by the staff.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank roycie83
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Roycie83,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable experience with us and it was certainly a pleasure to have been of service to you.

We have noted your comments and will follow through with the necessary training with our associates concerning correct information being disseminated to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,