“Disappointing and they have a bit to learn”

Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #41 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney
“Disappointing and they have a bit to learn”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here twice in July on business. The first time, upon check-in, I was upgraded to a "Club Room" - which excited me considering I was staying for 14 days... Then the receptionist quite rudely said "But you can't use the club facilities because you haven't paid for them..."

I still came back a week later because it was geographically convenient and despite another 10 day stay - I got a very average room on my second stay and NO benefits - in fact the second time I was told breakfast was NOT even included in my corporate rate - as it had been the first time, a week before.. Go figure..

Well [--] you! After spending over seven grand at this hotel in July...I'm looking for somewhere else to stay. And considering I control the potential to give this hotel possibly hundreds of room nights each year from my global team - I won't be.

The service and facilities simply aren't up to scratch. (Now I know why my business colleagues recommended that I do not stay here...)

Even more critically - there is no bar - their isn't a decent bar where you can get a drink anywhere in the whole joint - other than a couple of [--] chairs perched just off reception, next to the breakfast restaurant. Of course I wasn't permitted in the club lounge so maybe there is something there...

Service at the pool is also REALLY poor too - completely non-existent actually.. I had to go chasing someone to get me cold drink and food.. There is a great pool area on level 8 and they could - if they had half a brain and any customer focus at all - create a really nice bar and socialising area there - but they just do not seem to "get it" when it comes to Western business travellers.

Ok - I'll submit to my colleagues opinions and recommendations and stay elsewhere in Singapore... Maybe they just don't want us...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LoveTheTropicsSydney
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear LoveTheTropicsSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We regret to learn that your overall experience fell short of expectations. Please be assured that we do seriously take into account any lapses and will review the need for any corrective measures.

If I may clarify, different corporate packages come with varying inclusions and could depend on factors such as length of stay and room category. In situations whereby the room category is fully booked, we may upgrade your room type in effort to prioritize your request (e.g. bed type). The room configuration may differ but please be assured that all other benefits which you have paid for do apply. We apologise if we failed to communicate the message clearly to you. We also take home your suggestion of a poolside bar and will look into it.

We sincerely wish to have another opportunity to regain your confidence and provide you with a true Oasia experience.

Warm regards,

Teo Joo Leng

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights during August and had the best stay ever, we decided to upgrade to a club room, based on the breakfast and cocktails and the use of floor 22. From the second the taxi pulled up outside the door we were treated like royalty. The room was fantastic, i had emailed ahead and asked if we could have a corner room and they emailed back straight away saying no problem. The staff were all so polite and so helpful. We basically had the pool and hot tub all to ourselves as no one else seemed to be using it. The best part about the hotel was being attached to a shopping mall and a MRT station, it literally was a ride in the lift then a short walk down a corridor to the station. If i am ever lucky enough to visit Singapore again i will be staying here.

Room Tip: A club corner room had fantastic views over Singapore
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkcandy
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear pinkcandy,

Thank you for your kind review of Oasia Hotel Singapore.

It is a delight to know that you had a wonderful time here and our associates helped to shape your memorable experience during your stay. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the benefits of our Club Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

los angeles
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. Excellent location right next to MRT. Rooms were modern, clean and breakfast was excellent. Staff service was also superior and hotel offered to keep our baggage since we were traveling outside of Singapore for a few days and returning to stay at a different hotel. Concierge was very helpful. Would definitely recommend for business or pleasure based on service and location. Great fitness room also.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear experiencedtrvlr32,

Thank you for your affirmative review of Oasia Hotel Singapore and we are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to you serving you again in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed in Oasia for 3 nights.

Location is really good, right above MRT (the red-line), attached to a small shopping center for easy meal and grocery, and in a quiet neighborhood.
The hotel is still quite new with modern minimalist design.
Room is spacious and brightly lit with good amenities.
Swimming pool is rather small but well-built with no sign of wear.

Downside will be the quality of the finishing of room furnishing which is not very high-standard.
But unless you're doing construction (as I am), actually quite unnoticeable.
Another downside is the breakfast restaurant which can be over-crowded depending on the time and day.
Naturally during weekend is more crowded after 09:00.
But a good personal time scheduling should be suffice to overcome this problem.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank royhi
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear royhi,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Oasia Hotel Singapore.

We are pleased to know that you like our hotel design and found our location highly accessible to the underground train station and the nearby malls.

Besides our ground floor restaurant Zaffron, we also have another breakfast venue located on the 8th floor which is our Verandah Lounge. This is an alfresco concept and we are most happy to invite you to try out this venue for your breakfast during your next visit.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Booked this hotel 5days before check in. Urgent booking due to last min plans of birthday staycation. It was worth while after all. Requests were all attended to, staffs were attentive, helpful and professional. Was surprised by a cake and birthday song by the hotel frontline staffs @ our room. The staffs even extended another pax for breakfast buffet due to my negligence of booking only one pax breakfast buffet (as I was in a hurry to book a room for my bf birthday surprise). How nice for the staffs to assist us and ensuring a pleasant experience for our stay.

Hotel pool is quiet, away from the bustling city. Not crowded, able to enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings peacefully (Unlike Marina Bay Sands, the infinity pool is always soooo crowded and stinky!).

Hotel is a 5min walk from Novena MRT. Underground linkage provided. Well located near popular shopping district like Orchard Road, Dhoby Ghaut etc.. Will definitely come back for our next stay again.

Room Tip: Chose the Superior King/Queen Bedrooms. If you're not in the mode of cost savings, try upgrading...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Stung28,

Thank you for your encouraging review and I am indeed proud that my colleagues at Oasia Hotel have provided you with a wonderful birthday experience. I shall pass on your appreciation to my respective colleagues, who I trust will be elated to be recognized as individuals who made a positive impression with our guests.

We are also happy that you have found our location to be highly convenient and accessible. We have had a number of positive feedbacks on the easy accessibility to the MRT station which is located just below our hotel.

The Oasia team looks forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable experience soon.

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I enjoyed my 4 day stay at Oasia, loved their gym, swimming pool, steam room, cleanliness and service. The only two things that slightly detracted was the lighting in the bathroom for the mirror which was inadequate and the room size for a 4 day stay was a bit tight.
I did not upgrade to the club room because the added cost of upgradiing would have allowed me to get a room at a 5 star hotel which would have taken me to a price point which would not be covered by my company policy.
All in all, I would stay there again.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear BWilson,

Thank you for sharing your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay at Oasia Hotel.

You may like to know that we are already looking into brighter lighting for our bathroom mirrors.

We look forward to having another opportunity to be of service to you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Very nice located, underpass to mrt station right under the hotel, and plenty of food restaurant nearby. Great pool and good service. Very nice located for people need to go a singapore hospital. Toilet cleanliness need to checked though.

• Stayed August 2013
Oasia_Hotel_SG, General Manager at Oasia Hotel Novena, Singapore by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear alukito,

Thank you for staying at Oasia Hotel Singapore.

It is a pleasure to know that you found the proximity of the hotel to the MRT and hospital to your convenience. Thank you for your feedback on the toilet and we will look into it.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Warm regards,