“Poor”

Matchbox The Concept Hostel
Singapore, Singapore
“Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

This was not a good experience for my friend and I. We checked in for one night and when we entered the room it was the size of a very small bathroom except for that there were 10 bunk beds crammed in there. There was air but it was hot and sticky and the room smelled like mold. The towels smelled like a dog had pissed on them (to say the least). The bathrooms were mixed so the privacy is little to none. But, I guess if you are backpacking and you dont mind not having any space or privacy than this is an ok place for you to chill. Basically the pictures on the website seem to be a bit deceiving. The ONLY good thing I can say about this place was that the staff was very kind and the location was amazing. For my friend and I it was not worth it to stay for another evening there no matter how much of a budget we are on.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 924ashleyj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sanford, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

If your looking for something cheap but not wanting the usual hostel, this is one of the better hostels in Singapore.

Great location, near MRT, food and shopping as well as Chinatown.

Staff are very helpful and polite. Unlike Wink hostel they did provide free towels and bathroom amenities.

The condition of the hostel appears to have been overlooked over the last few months. My light in the room did not work, the light behind the bed only worked on one side, the AC while on full blast the whole day never cooled the place off, especially the top bunk, and the splattered residue of some sort of liquid on the walls was not too enviting.

The mattress was a very normal thin foam matteress that seemed to have a life of its own. The relaxation room with the massage chair is well worn as well and hotter than hades.

Bathrooms are excellent, somehow giving great privacy in a coed environment.

Overall matchbox hostel was a good place to stay on a budget but not up to the rave reviews in GQ and on other sites.

I believe Wink hostel has them beat by a margine

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CultureFinder
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Matchbox is located in a quiet and clean road just off of Chinatown. It's close proximity to Maxwell Rd hawker centre is a bonus for cheap, authentic Singaporean/Chinese and Asian cuisine.
The hostel itself is very clean and tidy, and never felt crowded, even though I was in a 10-pod dorm. I really enjoyed the good night's sleep being in a pod afforded, and having your own reading light and charge point without disturbing anyone was great.
The hostel is situated round the corner from two metro stations, and there's a simple free breakfast on offer.
My only complaint is the website advertises 'laundry and drying facilities which you can use for free' which isn't true, you have to pay for it. So take it off the site if you are reading, Matchbox!

All in all very nice place, helpful staff and well situated. Not cheap, but as with all hostels you usually get what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Las Pinas, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

We heard so much glowing rebiews about Matchbox from blogger-travellers which convinced my husband & I to give Matchbox a try. The hostel did not disappoint. It was w/in walking distance of the MRT, it was near a great food center, and was located in a quiet street. The place itself was charming: I fell in love w the indoor swing at the attic. The cube concept worked...beds are comfortable & my "room" had enough elbow space. Had a very pleasant sleep. If you're charging your phones or other gadgets, though, make sure you get an adaptor plug. You have the run of the pantry, too, where you get free all-day breakfast. Best of all, if you're a design buff, Matchbox is a hop & skip away from the City Gallery and the Red Dot Museum. All these for a very reasonable rate. We'll definitely be back. :)

• Stayed February 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you are travelling solo, like I was, this is an excellent option for you. The rooms are large, but the beds are setup in these small "pods", so you still have a fair amount of privacy. It's extremely clean and the location is excellent, 5 min walk to the subway and 2 min walk to the heart of chinatown.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

I made a reservation at this hostel after struggling to find decent and affordable hotels in Singapore that corresponded with my budget. I had no regrets as the location is great relative to restaurants and shops, there are lots of transport options nearby, and Chinatown is just around the corner. My room and bed were small - they were clean and did the job, but you just need to make sure you are in hostel mode and don't have unreasonably high expectations.

The service was good e.g. I was allergic to the room deoderiser and when I reported this, it was turned off with little fuss; getting my boarding pass printed was not an issue etc).

Potential areas for improvement are:
*Keeping the toilet stalls which double as shower stalls as well clean and dry on a more regular basis. It was kind of icky stepping on a wet floor and dealing with a wet toilet seat.
*The website and my subsequent e-mail correspondence with the hostel indicated that the laundry facilities were free. However, when I enquired again after checking in I was told I would have to pay separately for the washing machine and tumble dryer. I felt that this was misleading advertising on their part, particularly because I had factored in the 'complementary' services when comparing the Matchbox with other hostels before making my decision.

I would def recommend this place as the above were relatively minor inconveniences for me.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

nothing much to say as too many opinions will make it seems like too reluctant.. one word to describe, "GREAT"! u will feel the GREAT when u experience it urself.. =) really a big thumbs up for this hostel..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends