“Very good hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wink Hostel
Sydney
“Very good hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

The Wink Hostel is centrally located in Chinatown, only one street away from the MRT. Nearby are the cheap hawker restaurants located in the Peoples Place + one of the most competitive money changers that people are prepared to queue for 30 minutes in order to get a good rate. All the rooms are air-conditioned which is essential in the tropical heat at night. I recommend it to anyone. A little bit more expensive than others but well worth it. The staff are very knowledgeable and know their stuff.

1 Thank SwansMagicmoment2005
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Great that you squeeze time out to write. Your recommendations make a difference for us. Thanks! Safe travels - hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Stayed for a night last June 27. For $50 SGD a night, its quite expensive. But, its worth it.
I was frustrated that I didnt get any confirmation from a hotel I originally booked.
To make it short, I need to rush to find a decent place to stay 6 hours before my flight.
I called the hostel to ask for availability. They've confirmed that they do have a double bed. I pleaded to have them reserve the bunk for me since I cannot book it online since system doesnt allow ACTUAL day booking. A receptionist cannot promise, which I completely understood.. but told me she'll try to hold it till 4am the next day if no one arrives. (my arrival is 2am). From the airport, I just told the cab driver to go to Chinatown in Mosque St. It was very easy to locate. Their friendly receptionists welcomed me. We ended up with single bunks (which I originally wanted)...Good luck was on me! We went to our bunks. Mine was orange..sooo cute! the lockers are underneath your bed and so spacious and advanced. The common room and kitchen are well-ventilated. With collection of travel books I've missed to check out. IT'S A FEEL GOOD PLACE TO STAY. They've also allowed us to keep our luggage after checking out while we roam Chinatown two blocks away. Subway was on the next street, famous party area in SG - Clarke Quay is quite near. Famous Tooth Relic Buddha Temple is 10mins away. And a lot of hawker food house within budget are within reach. I hope there's wink hostel in every country!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for the generous remarks! Thanks for your understanding - we do entertain same day booking and the day you called was probably a near-full one for us. Our double-pods are also not advertised on 3rd party channels (if they were what you used) as we do not have many of these, and only have these for direct bookings. Not enough people speak to the great and cheap food we fortunately have around us - very glad you highlighted this! Hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Probably one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Great, service, excellent showers, toilets, beds, security, service. Nice work!

• Stayed July 2012
Hi!
Many thanks for your kind words. We're still quite young and learning. Your encouragements will reinforce some of the directions/improvements we are pursuing. Hope to see you again soon!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Good location in chinatown, close to food and shopping, MRT station just around the corner which can take you anywhere. Facilities great, free wifi and computer access, breakfast is very average but enough for something in the morning. Pods offer privacy and the personal lights and powerpoint is handy.
Few downsides being that although it is very clean (cleaned several times a day) they always seemed to be during peak times for the bathroom - morning and evening! Security is a little lacking - only security is front desk, no cards/doors etc and a person staying in my door brought 3 friends into our room and showed them around the whole hostel - not that great. Also the 'bag storage' turned out to be a hole in the wall by the exit stairs that was both unlocked and not watched.
Overall good hostel that is clean and great location. Expensive for what it is but then most things in singapore are! Cheaper will be a lot less quality.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Hi Carrie,
Appreciate that you're taking time to comment on Wink! Thanks for your positives.

We take security very seriously and I am concerned - and not sure what you meant - by "no cards/doors". We have specially implemented an electronic key system for identification and access, whereby guests can only access their own rooms and no other dorms, and access their specific lockers and no others. We have CCTV coverage around the hostel, and the front desk is sited at a choke-point to ensure all hostel entries can be monitored.

Very sorry to hear a guest managed to slip his/her friends around Wink. We allow non-staying visitors only to the lounge, and elsewhere under escort (was there a Wink staff alongside?). Notices are displayed in key locations demarcating public and guests-only areas as you might have seen. Good to get your feedback here - I'd remind colleagues again to be vigilant.

Again thanks and safe travels!
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

It's too bad they don't have Wink in other cities. I had a great experience there! The location is great as it is close to interesting sights and the MRT. The pods were very comfortable and, even though you are in a dorm, you feel a good sense of privacy. I felt that my stuff was safe with the locked units below the pods. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. The wifi worked perfect and there were plenty of open terminals for those without their own computer. All in all, a great value for your money and a great place to stay!

Room Tip: They have both all-girl dorms and coed. As a guy, I had no choice, but I think all the guests were...
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Hey Mike - Thanks for letting us host you! Very glad it worked out and I appreciate your kind words. We are doing due diligence for Winks in other cities - let me know if you have thoughts where to focus our efforts!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Only stayed here for one night after missing a train connection. i really wished I had stayed here the whole of my 4 days in Singapore. The place is a fusion of the the traditional hostel and the japanese 'pods'. Because the bed spaces come out of the wall (think pigeon holes) horizontally instead of the usual bunk beds, you can have relative privacy should you want it although if you're claustrophobic, you may feel hemmed in. everything is electronic - the access to floors, rooms and lockers. There's plenty of space, lots of computers/laptops to use for free, ample kitchen and bathroom facilities and a small relaxation area with balcony.
From the moment I stepped into this place I felt welcome and for the price and modernity of it all, I really can't fault the place. Well done Wink!

Room Tip: No room is better than another in my opinion although I only saw 2. They are quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Hi - Your misfortune (missing the train) was our gain! Thanks for switching accommodation to Wink, and doubly so for your generous remarks. Looking forward to host you for more days next time!
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

great location in the middle of Chinatown, a few meters away from a metro station, this hostel is absolutely perfect!
It's clean and neat, the organization of the rooms in pods is a smart one allowing for just enough privacy in a dormitory, the lockers system is very convenient, try to get a bed on the lower level and away from the door it is just more practical. the common shower and bathroom is always clean and lit up by natural light, breakfast is simple but exactly what one needs and the kitchen is spotless as well. You have computers with internet access free to use DVD room, a little balcony and large common areas.
Above all what I appreciated the most was the free wi-fi and how helpful and nice the staff was: always ready to help in the nicest way and to give you great information and useful directions! I highly recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: female dorms, lower level pod away from the door
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Very kind words - thanks! I'd pass your remarks to the team to make sure we stay focused on some of the areas you highlighted. Come back and visit!