“Meh”

Wink Hostel
Perth, Australia
“Meh”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed four night in Singapore at Wink Hostel, because the reviews were so good. But I would like to advise fellow travelers that if they are looking for a fun hostel to meet lots of out going people and go out on the town (which is so much fun ) dont look here. I personally found the people staying in the hostel very placid and alot of them older. When I walked through the halls instead of friendly smiles people just starred and no one said hi. As for the facilities it was clean and there was a lot of stuff one could use if they just felt like sitting around the hostel all day, ei computers, xbox, movies. They have staff who come and make the beds but one of the staff left a long greasy black hair in my bed YUCK ! What capped it off as a pretty negative overall experience was I ended up getting bed bugs. Not worth the money in my opinion and doesn't have that backpacker vibe. Very stale, though apparently not very sterile.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank hannah s
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Hi Hannah,
Your feedback on bed-bugs is a shock... While we investigate, we have taken immediate action (isolate your last pod, treating the linen and mattress etc).... We'd actively monitor. As we had not heard from you until this public forum, we'd be writing to you directly to pursue. Thanks for letting us know.

As for the atmosphere, our guests' mix is quite varied and sometimes, depending on vacation/holiday seasons in different countries, the guests-profile at Wink can be quite different. We are conscious we can't be everything to everyone (from experience - activities like pub-crawls and free concert tours appeal to some groups but not others) and we therefore try hard to target activities like food-nights and night-cycling that are hopefully more 'neutral'. These have been good successes. A large part of the atmosphere is driven by staff here, and your feedback reinforces that can try harder to get guests to feel comfortable and possibly interact more. Thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 September 2012

After reading the reviews we decided to book two nights at Wink.
Their service was great, very friendly. The location is hard to beat, in the middle of Chinatown, love it!
We stayed on a upper pod (dobble) which gave us some privacy better than lower pod. The upper pod is accessible via a wooden ladder. Very painful to climb up and down. It's high en small. We are probably too old for this kind of exercise.
We have been troubled by drainage sound from the bathroom on the upper floor. It was very loud. During peak hours, this was constantly disturbing us. They did apologized for this.
The wifi did not work. They have once reset it but it stopped again after 5 minutes. They do have laptops with internet connection so...we let it go.
My advice, its a great concept hostel so go for it if you're looking for a hostel. For us we probably would not stay here again because we want more privacy and comfort.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nootje
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Hi,
Very sorry to hear you are not completely satisfied, and thanks for your kind words notwithstanding. We'd look into the ladders again, an issue that came up early after we were established. We had originally geared for metal ladder rungs, typical of the standard bunk beds. Preliminary surveys pushed us to custom make the wooden ladders as they offer wider and flat rung widths (~1.5 cm) instead of the rounded one-point-contact in metal rounded rungs. I think one issue is our first rung is higher off the ground to cater for bigger lockers underneath the beds and this inevitably puts higher pressure on the foot embarking/disembarking from this rung.... We are looking into short stools to see if this alleviates the issue. Sorry we did not know of this earlier as we would have been happy to try moving you to a lower pod. I'm a little surprised with the wifi complaint as the computers on-site you mentioned also access via wifi. I'd check the APs again though. Not sure about the sounds from the bathrooms above your room - were the windows opened? I'd look into whether we can better buffer the windows (perhaps by lining the frames?) when they are closed. Feedbasks are important and I appreciate your taking time.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The hostel's concept is a good one and I was expecting something extra for the amount that I paid for compared to other lower-charged hostel in Singapore. Particularly when it comes to privacy, sleep quality and breakfast. I stayed in an female dorm for 3 days over the past weekend .. 1 night in an upper pod and 2 nights in a lower pod.

I would say that the pod concept does gives one a sense of privacy but only if you stay on the upper pod. There's no privacy whatsoever for those on the lower pod. I think that the management can at least provide some curtains for the lower pods. It's so unnerving having other guests looking and staring at you while you are sleeping. And it's inevitable because the locker/storage area is located at the bottom of lower pods. This was a real sleep depriver because I had the misfortune of sharing a room with 5 other young Korean girls who, for some reasons, had to pack and unpack every single time they are in the room. Be it in the morning, when they are back from the day, before they shower, after they shower, before they go to bed .. it's endless.

The upper pod is accessible via a wooden ladder. I've gotta say that while it does provide better privacy than lower pod, it's also one hell of an experience to climb up and down. For one, it's really high. Number two, the wooden ladders isn't exactly comfortable to climb on bare feet.

The plus points to the pods are they are really spacious and provide reasonably comfy duvet and pillows.

As for the breakfast, what was served were standard fare served in Singaporean hostel, although it would be really nice if they can serve extra food like eggs/omelette for the price paid for the pod.

They could also use with an extra hair dryer in the female bathrooms. Long queue for it during peak bathing period.

Overall, the concept is interesting. The bathrooms, common kitchen and other common areas are generally clean and airy.

Room Tip: More privacy if you choose upper pod if you don't mind climbing the wooden ladders and flinging...
2 Thank pinkgiwaffe
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Hi,
Thanks for taking time to share your comments.

Sorry to hear you felt disturbed by your room-mates. If you did not want to signal to them directly, we would have been pleased to step in tactfully on your behalf.

We'd struggle with your point on installing a screen or curtain at the foot of our pods for long. We just can't; as even a silk screen/curtain would constitute a fire/smoke hazard and we are simply not allowed to do so. Instead, we try to optimize privacy through pods-design of having 3 sides enclosed, leaving only the foot opened, and pod-walls lined with sound resistant material. Minimizing the number of pods in each room, carpeting and having the lockers right beneath the pods hopefully help as well, notwithstanding we are managing communal dormitory settings.

The hair-dryer point is new and we have immediately started sampling guests' views following your kind feedback. Again thanks.
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was very intrigued by this place because of the promise of "Indulgence at a budget" and the beautiful photos elite modern design merged with high technology. I was also intrigued because here you don't book beds, you book pods, which seemed oh so very space age and cool.

When I got there, I was generally not let down. I felt that definitely the place was beautifully designed, with a lot of whimsical touches on doorways and design elements throughout the shophouse property. The branding was very clear and carried throughout most all of the areas of the property as well.

However, I was not happy that all the common areas were NOT airconditioned, only ventilated by fan, which was not good on the hot days I was there. I perspired like anything having lugged my baggage up a steep flight of steps. The stairway going up to reception by the way were not clean. They were dusty and needed a good sweeping and mopping.

I stayed in the all female dorm and it was very lovely to look at indeed. Very well designed with delicate paintings on the walls. The pods themselves were spacious enough, except its hard to get up to the upper pods because the wooden ladders were uncomfortable and difficult to climb with bare feet. The female dorm has windows and you can hear the traffic on the street though muffled by the airconditioning. I was surprised because I thought pods would completely enclose you but it did not, the part where your feet are is completely open. So I thought what was the use of making it soundproof per its advertising (which it is definitely not) if you were going to leave this whole side of the box completely exposed. I was told it has something to do with fire regulations. I just felt that it could have been more accurately described in its website.

They do not change the sheets daily, they change every 3 or 4 days, which was not okay with me because I felt they should change the sheets. I thought if I am paying a daily rate why would they not change the sheets daily? Other high end hostels (which this one definitely claimed to be) change sheets daily so I was disappointed.

The common female bathrooms were also designed in the same high end modern style but functionally lacked places where you can hang or park your stuff while you shower or while you brush your teeth. They were clean though and functional enough. Definitely the bathroom fixtures were very modern high end expensive. For me bathroom aesthetics matters, as well as functionality and cleanliness matters a lot, and they did a good job (esp. with the fixtures).

I was very greatly disappointed with their breakfast. It was just white bread, peanut butter, jam, butter, cereals, milk and some boxed sugared (not pure fruit) juices (which of course would have no living nutrition left in them). They had some Milo, Instant Coffee and Tea sachets, one of those electric jugs you heat up water in and from there create your own beverage. I found it sadly lacking and I was very unhappy. When I complained about this, their reasoning is that fruit is very expensive and they cannot afford to provide it. I was very incredulous with this line of reasoning because I've stayed in hostels that were not as high end as theirs and they always had fresh fruit in the morning. Wink also did not give you access to a clean water dispenser that could provide hot and cold water through the day. In my opinion, in the area of breakfast and refreshments, I'd give WINK a big FAIL.

Finally their service is okay but can also be improved. I had some major issues checking in, had some serious miscommunications with the staff in previous emails and I felt the receptionist did not handle it right. Management did eventually come in, apologized, and offered to make amends. I appreciated that.

The location is great because its right in the middle of Chinatown and just a few steps from the MRT, but it felt less safe than some other areas in Singapore, the area is close to some places that's not as clean as other areas in Singapore.

I probably would not stay here again unless they changed the breakfast at the very least, and offered more services in terms of refreshments/water through the day.

As mentioned, there are many other things they can do to improve the guest experience.

Otherwise, its a great concept hostel and if someone who did not care so much about having a healthy breakfast came to Singapore, this is a pretty good option.

Room Tip: Book early to get a pod in your choice of room. Wink has gotten popular since I stayed there appare...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Acsah
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 25 August 2012
Hi,
Thanks for writing notwithstanding it's 9-10 months since your stay with us! Wink had just started then and we appreciated feedback from early guests who generously shared their comments then. I'm pleased to report that several items you mentioned have been actively pursued:
- we engaged a professional cleaning company for upkeeping, and they check/clean the premises (the staircase you mentioned for example) several times a day
- we added more hooks in the bathrooms (but not to extent of over-cluttering)
- there is air-conditioning in some public areas (e.g. Cafe), and we would be happy to switch these on (and do on many occasions). Feedback from some guests have been that they could always get cooled in their aircon rooms; and prefer natural ventilation than have recycled air throughout the premise. Our view taking account of different feedback lies with latter, but would accede to any request to turn on the aircon in the Cafe .

Amongst other items you mentioned -
- Sorry about the climb to our reception - this is a good reminder that we are indeed situated on the second floor of a conserved heritage shophouse. Lifts are not allowed to be installed.
- We make no claims of "sound-proof" pods, and I am unsure how this impression came about (perhaps you'd like to check our website again). What we have taken some trouble to do is insert sound-resistant material in the walls in-between pods. This has mitigated sounds/echoes quite a bit. Doors or enclosures, and even a silk-screen, at the foot of the pods are not allowed as they constitute a smoke/fire hazard, and we likewise would not have made such promises.
- Taking account of feedback and a recent mini-survey of guests on, first, Wink's offerings, and second, trade-offs for value -- breakfast has not come across as a major issue, and we will not change this for now. Your strong sentiment, especially on fruits, is good input as we continue to re-evaluate offerings.

Again thanks for the detailed feedback.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was bent on booking a 3-star hotel room that's good for 4. Unfortunately, most 3 star hotels were already fully booked or if not, replied to my e-mails several days after. Because of this, I checked the hostels listed at Trip Advisor and found Wink Hostel on top.

Honestly, we never stayed in a hostel and the idea of sleeping in a shared room was almost nil. However, when I browsed Wink's website and checked the reviews, I was convinced to give Wink Hostel a try.

My booking with Wink Hostel was such a breeze. They replied fast to my e-mails and in a manner that emphasized how much they value "customer service." So for our quick Singapore vacation, we finally booked 2 double pods for 3 nights, paid the deposit through paypal and we gave our balance upon our arrival.

The walls are adorned with pleasant paintings and overall, the place is very conducive after a long day's exploration. This is even more complemented with really awesome pods that light up everytime we entered our room. The bed is so comfortable, the sheets, blankets, and pillow cases smell good. Our baggages fit the lockers below our pods which kept our room clean and spacious.

Aside from the pods, guests are given options to have peanut butter, butter, jam,etc. to pair with your toast and have apple juice, orange juice, fresh milk, coffee or tea. They also have complete cooking facilities and utensils which we used to cook rice and viand.

The bathrooms are kept clean with options for hot and cold shower and wi-fi connection was superb!!!

By the way, Wink's location is also perfect. It's very close to Chinatown and only two stations away if you have plans going to Sentosa.

Overall, this hostel has exceeded our expectations! I will definitely go back to Wink Hostel for our next Singapore vacation :)

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kate J
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Wink Hostel is great value stay in expensive Singapore. The pods have plenty of room, with shelf, hook, locker, power point and personal light.

Each guest is given a swipe card to gain entry into a dorm. This swipe card recognises which pod you are in, and sets off a soft light in your pod so you can enter and find your pod without disturbing others with turning on the dorm light.

Toast, cereal, tea/coffee is included, and wifi and internet is free.

The hostel is only a 5min walk from Chinatown station.

Room Tip: Try to get a pod away from the door, as I got woken by people entering the room and letting the out...
1 Thank Perthyte
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Hey Jen,
Great succinct points that summarise some of the features here at Wink. Thanks! Sorry to hear you got woken up by lights from the corridor. Not sure we can place who you are to determine which room you stayed in - can you let us know (info@winkhostel.com)? Our pods are custom-built to optimize privacy and mitigate light disturbance in the room. Your kind feedback on lights from the outside corridor is new and I'd want to investigate. We do have 2 lighting choices in the corridors and I'd remind the team to use the softer LED lights at night. Again, thanks for taking time to share your remarks.
Incheon, South Korea
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Clean hostel.The beds with pods were very useful and helpful for travellers.Breakfast was good.My first stay at hostel was very good due to Wink Hostel.I want to stay again at Wink Hostel for my next trip to Singapore.The only thing I request to Wink Hostel is 24hours cold and hot water supply by water purifier.

Room Tip: Nothing Special.
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Hi Kyuyeon,
Thanks for your comments. We are very happy to have hosted you for your first hostelling experience! Appreciate your feedback on the hot and cold water purifier. I'm not 100% sure what you meant - we have a hot water thermal pump available in the kitchenette at all times for guests' use. We sell mineral water and also point out to guests that tap water in Singapore is portable. Perhaps next time you come back (we'd love to be given the chance to have you again), we'd pin this down. Again, many thanks for taking time to write.