“Second Home in Singapore”
Review of Wink Hostel

Wink Hostel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Second Home in Singapore”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Back for the second time to Wink Hostel from my first visit 6 months ago. I have become very fond of this place from my first visit. You can refer to the link below on the general positive qualities to avoid repetition in my reviews.

Generally I like to come back to places that I have enjoyed staying as it's a no brainer of a choice and also because Wink was relatively new back then, it gives me the oppurtunity to see if everything is maintained and running well as per my first visit. Crying shame to have a great place to go to waste just because of poor maintenance.

Overall, the upkeep of the place is great however just to share a few feedbacks on what could be worked on:-

- Female Showers - The last shower stall is missing the clothes hook and one of the rainshower head seems faulty (leaky at the sides, so it was a rainshower and a waterfall by the wall as well).

- My pod reading light wasn't working (female dorm, pod no 6). Not that it was a problem as i could still use the other light in the pod. Suppose periodic maintenance check should be done every now and then.

- I think the dorms could use additionally hooks for clothes or at least a common rack of some sort as i noticed guest were putting their creative juices to overdrive to figure out where to hang our stuff (i.e piping in rooms etc...haha)

Despite those few minor setbacks, I had a great time staying here and it was great to be able to meet other runners from other countries as well (Singapore Marathon at that time). Friendships were made and pacts were form to return next year at Wink to race in SG again.

Location fantastic, people are friendly and you have to love the huge locker space.

See you guys again next year. You have my repeat patronage for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Hi Veronica,
Many thanks for your comments. We love them!!. First, it's your second stay and you still took time and trouble to share feedback Second, you got into specific details, which we really appreciate as it's difficult at times to check everything (e.g pod reading light) and guests are our best eyes and ears on the ground. We are looking into all your points for remedy right now - sorry, hope they were not too inconvenient .

The only item I'd admit we are still reluctant to push through is the point about additional hooks in the room. The trade-off is extra hooks could make the place more cluttered (something we reviewed in the past), and following your response here, we'd check internally again (no promises!).

I believe you stayed only a day the last time, and we only caught each other very briefly. We did not get the chance to chat again this time, but am glad you hooked up with runners like Dozz, Naoko, etc.. A few other Penang friends did not make it this time... We're certainly hoping to host more of you runners and friends at Wink soon. Again, many thanks for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was there for four nights and I did appreciate what the hostel had to offer. Everyone was nice around the hostel but the atmosphere in general was a bit too calm for me. However, I would still recommend this place as it was really clean and convenient. The breakfast was also good.

cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Hi - Sorry to hear Wink was a little "calm" for you.... I'd admit some guests keep returning because they like the quieter atmosphere we have. Good feedback to mull over though - perhaps we need to step up with more activities (like night cycling, brewery tours, etc.) that can strike the right balance. We'd work on this! Grateful for your great comments on Wink and thanks for recommending us!
KL
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The pods are spacious and give so much privacy - you get own reading light with your very own electrical outlet. Also no more waking up to blinding lights or groping in the dark when you go into the room when everyone else is asleep because your pod lights up when you scan your card at the door. And the lockers are very spacious. Location is fantastic - just next street from Chinatown MRT. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Definitely will stay here again if I visit Singapore again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Hi Angie,
Great to have you and thanks for taking time to write! You're not too far away and the next time you pass thru' Singapore, we hope to get the chance to host you again. Let us know your preferred pod, now that you are familiar with our setup. Again thanks.
Quebec
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Almost unbelievable in 2012, friendly staff, super clean (like SIngapore) and very comfortable. Individual "cubicles", makes you feel like your in your own room. I slept really well and thought the whole concept was perfect for "real" travelers who travel light and rely on only the basics. (but in this case, high end basics!)

1 Thank star3000
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 1 December 2012
Hey,
Very kind words - thanks! Yes, we try hard to ensure Wink fulfill the "accommodation basics" for guests, and then push ourselves to enhance these, but stay within good value. Feedback from guests make a great contribution and many of our features derive directly from folks like you. Again thanks. Hope to see you again.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Will absolutely stay here again the next time I find myself in Singapore. Great price (compared to other accommodation options in the city) and location- 2 minute (maximum) walk to Chinatown MRT and right near really good food. Very clean and well thought out- the pods provide a good amount of privacy and there's plenty of spaces for socialising. I even thought the bathrooms were quite clean and I'm very picky about that! My only complaint would be that the bathroom plumbing seemed to flow right above my pod so every time someone used water in there there it was a bit noisy. Not enough to deter me from coming back though!

Room Tip: Women's only and mixed rooms are available
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 1 December 2012
Hi,
Thanks for your generous remarks! Sorry to hear you had some piping noises - yes this may affect a corner of one room on the second floor, and we have been monitoring actively. Glad this was not distracting to your stay (similar to other guests' feedback). Please come back and we'd let you try a different room! Safe travels.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I have recently been passing through Singapore quite a bit, usually staying in medium price range hotels, which I found mostly to be poor value for money on an international scale. On my last visit, I chose to stay at Wink in Chinatown. My experience was overwhelmingly good. The front desk staff were incredabily helpful, friendly and polite.

I checked in quite last and without pre-booking, and this was no problem. However, if you want to stay here, would advise booking ahead to avoid dissapointment; I was lucky that there was one bed free that night.

The wifi worked well and there are laptop/desktop stations available for free access.

The building is well laid out, easy to get around, clean and secure.

I did not hang around for breakfast, but it looked reasonable. The kitchen facilities for those wishing to self cater (and why would you, in Singapore?!) were excellent.

This was the first time I have slept in a pod, and I enjoyed the comfort, privacy and ability to draw the curtain and read, if I chose to, without disturbing other inmates.

Value was good by Singapore standards, which, let's face it, is not the cheapest destination in the world.

All in all, a very good experience and will certainly stay at Wink again in future.

cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Hi - Thanks for staying at Wink! Very happy you took a chance on us, switching from your usual hotels to try our pods-style accommodation. Yes, there are plentiful options for meals around us, but grab a fruit from our breakfast table as you go out, even if you do not join us. Hope to host you again in another of your frequent visit to Singapore. Cheers
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This being my 1st stay in a hostel I was nervous about the pod idea of the hostel. But I am soooo glad I stayed here. The rooms where light and airy and cool from the air con. The pods are great to have your own privacy but don't feel claustrophobic in the slightest. When you scan your card to get into the room, only your pod lights up so no other sleepers are distracted. Lockers under the pods were huge! Big enough to fit my huge rucksack, and 2 smaller bags. I always saw the cleaner cleaning the communal areas, bathrooms were spotless and my bed was always freshly made for me when I returned after a day of sightseeing. Location fantastic-can walk from Chinatown MRT in about 3 minutes and felt very safe being a single girl travelling on my own. Have recommended to all my friends who are coming to Singapore-just wish there was a concept like this in Hong Kong and Japan where I'm off too next!

1 Thank Hayley T
cb h, Owner at Wink Hostel, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Hey Hayley! Thanks for taking time out to write. Appreciate your kind comments, doubly so, this being your first hostelling experience! Glad it worked out. We'd love to have your friends stay here when they pass through.... Wink has plans for expansion, but probably won't make it in time to host you when you travel through Japan and Hong Kong shortly though..... Again thanks! Safe travels.