“not a very good atmosphere”

Golden Mile Complex
Book In Advance
More Info
US$80.95*
and up
Singapore Hawker Center Food Tour and Neighborhood Walk with Hotel Transfer
Ranked #77 of 508 Shopping in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: Golden Mile Complex is Singapore’s Little Thailand, a place where you can find all things Thai right here in Singapore.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“not a very good atmosphere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I am a pretty open minded chap and happy to experience new things. I went to golden mile in the evening for some Thai food . As soon as I got out of the cab I felt the atmosphere was not to my liking. I could not work it out but I soon realised that there were a lot of older men in the company of younger women. I have no doubt that everyone's intentions were honourable but having been approached by young women while passing the various bars and "discos" I got the feeling that this was not the place me.

I crossed the road and headed to the golden mile food centre. I was disappointed to find that it is mainly Chinese and Malay food . Both very nice but not what I was after on this occasion. I found one Thai place on the first floor facing Beach road , while looking around for a table I noticed a That most of the tables were taken up by groups of older men and younger women. I saw what I thought was an empty table in a corner and headed for it. When I got to it there was an ice bucket and bottles of beer on the table. I thought the table was taken but it appears the beers were placed there by one of the stalls selling beer. I got the impression that this area was for the use of older men wishing to enjoy the company of younger women. So I found a table well away from all the activity.

As I mentioned I am open minded and do not wish to cast doubt on anybody's intentions but I did not like the atmosphere .As I previously stated this was in the evening around eight ,the atmosphere may well be very different in the daytime. My overall impression not good ,but the food was excellent.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Juan C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Thai food by Thai people”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Golden Mile is well known for its Thai community and they have tons of shops selling the goods from Thailand and small eateries serving Thai food. I sometime go there for lunch with friends and my favorite place is on the basement.
I like their grilled pork. These are not spicy, but marinated with some spices. The grilled fish is quite simple, just grilled with some salt and you can add chilli to eat. They serve sticky rice and smells great. It goes well with the dishes served there. The place is like a little Bangkok. For ladies, better avoid going there alone in the night time as there are Thai discos and pubs opening in the night.

2 Thank ManngaDua
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“If you miss Thailand food and friendship, this is an alternative.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Golden Mile Complex is situated at 5001 Beach Road next to Caltex station, directly opposite Golden Mile food centre. It was completed in 1973 and is 40 years old.  It was formerly known as Woh Hup Complex.  Bus 100, 960, 961 ply Beach Road infront of this complex.  It is only 12 minutes walk from Lavender Mrt Station and 7 minutes from Nicoll Highway station. Carpark is located at basement with height of 1.9 meters only for cars.  Vehicles with higher roof can park at HDB carpark on opposite side.

1st to 3rd floor consist of amulets shops, boutique shops, coach companies, café, discos, flowers shop, internet café, money changers, remittance companies, hair saloons, massage shops, phone shops, provision shops, restaurants, Thai supermarket,  travel agents, etc... 4th – 7th floor consist of offices spaces and higher up are private apartments.  It is served by escalators and stairs in the center of complex up to 3rd floor.  Lifts are at both end of building.  Staircases go down to basement carpark only.

If you are looking for air tickets to KL, Penang, Bangkok, Bali, Jakarta, Penang and other popular destinations,this is the place.  You can also get  coach tickets to KL, Genting, Ipoh, Penang, Hatyai here.  This is my favorite place because I can go into another agent office immediately if tickets are not available at one agent. Coaches to Kuala Lumpur leaves at all times in the day from 0800 hrs to 2355 hrs.  Coaches to Genting Highland leaves at either 0730 – 0800 hrs and 2200 – 2330 hrs.  Premium coaches consist of 16 seaters and 18 seaters. Standard coaches are of 27 seaters in single deck and 38 seaters in double decks.

There are 3  discos in the complex playing Thai, Chinese and English songs and sometimes with attractive singers too.  This complex is a favourite for Thai workers and others as it offer many activities for relaxation and to chill after a day work. It is especially crowded on weekend.  Golden Mile Complex is also known as Little Thailand because of its many Thai shops, restaurants and workers.  If you are craving for Thai food, come to Diandin restaurant or other cafes on ground floor. I come here regularly for its spicy tom yum seafood, som tum and sweet desserts.

Visited April 2013
6 Thank Richard P
Hong Kong, China
3,465 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11,773 helpful votes
“Golden Mile Complex - Where you catch bus transportation to Malaysian destinations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

At the Golden Mile complex you will find a host of bus transfer companies providing onward transportation to Malaysia (and Thailand) destinations.

You can arrange bus tickets online these days or through travel agents and there are probably 6-7 different bus companies using this location and the Golden Mile Tower as their arrival/departure point for bus travel. You might be able to just show up and buy a ticket there as well as there seems to be so many bus companies offering services now.

There are some restaurants, cafes and fairly clean toilets here as well. MRT station is not far away and taxi can get you to this location from most parts of the city for less than SG$10.

This seems to be somewhat of a Thai food hot spot as well. We found some Thai restaurants here and market shops selling nice Thai ingredients as well. Otherwise, not sure why one would visit this building complex.

Visited April 2013
6 Thank BradJill
Metro Manila, Philippines
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“THE best thai foods ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Forget about Thai Express or Bali Thai. If you want authentic thai food, this is the place for you. must trY! They also have a THAI grocery at the second floor!

Visited July 2012