“Gothic style church”
Review of St Joseph's Church

St Joseph's Church
Ranked #343 of 871 things to do in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: An architectural marvel structured in the form of a Latin cross, you’ll enjoy the beautifully crafted stained glass windows here at St Joseph’s Church.
Reviewed 27 November 2013

St Joseph's Church is located along Victoria street, across the junction and a little east of Chijmes and The Cathedral of the Good Shepard.
This octagonal domed, Gothic style, Roman Catholic church building is just over a hundred years old. It was built at the site of an earlier church that predated the present building by about a hundred and fifty years.
The earlier church was built by the Portuguese Mission.
I visited the church earlier this month but the lower part of the building and parts inside were under renovation.

1  Thank percyvakil
"holy"
"prayer"
"praying"

Reviewed 19 November 2013

St Joseph's Church is located one block from the Cathedral of Good Shepherd. Previously, it does not offer mid-day Mass on weekdays, but following the closure of the Cathedral in late October for renovation, worshippers can attend the 1.15 pm Mass every weekday, with the Cathedral's Rector, Fr Adrian Anthony, conducting most of them. The ambience and acoustics at St Joseph's are wonderful. But there's limited space for car parking inside the church compound, as compared with the Cathedral. We found it much easier to go by public transport.

2  Thank Santorin3
Reviewed 13 November 2013

One side is being renovated, but the side door is still open for those wanting to visit or worship. It is quite a big church and reasonably well kept. A bit of stained glass and some 3D carvings around the walls of different bible scenes. Plainly decorated (mainly white) and a few statues. Pop in if you are passing, but not worth going out of your way to see it.

1  Thank Paul_n_Cris
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I flew over as a sponsor for my godsons confirmation a few weeks ago, a day I'll never forget. All the confirmees were bristling with excitement during the preparation hours as was I to be in such delightful surrounds! That was an unexpected pleasure! The grounds are beautifully attended, which imbues a sense of tranquility that invites internal reflection. The chapel itself is highly decorated and reminded me very much of a time, long since past, when our devotion was reflected in the expense in the house of worship. It is truly impressive and I felt very lucky to be in this location for such a significant occasion in mine and my family's life. I had the privilege of seeing the Archbishop and hearing his thoughtful sermons. I was intrigued by the cultural differences between Singaporean service and English, but the one I feel compelled to pass, lest someone else make the same mistake! Since the SARS outbreak, the sign of peace in Singapore is simply a nod or small bow of acknowledgement. All my life I have been used shaking hands, hugging, or kissing the cheek of those around me - however this is neither welcome nor appropriate to practice here. Next time I visit I will be sure to observe proper behaviour :) I look forward to Mass the next time I do!

2  Thank iamkatythomas
See more reviews
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My school was just beside this church many years ago and I've been in it many times. This church is more than 100 years old and has always been considered a little less well known to visitors to the other one just down the road. In those days churches are a little more decorated. Built in the gothic style with Portuguese influence and given its age, it has been well maintained.

If you have the time, check out the stained glass windows, the statues of the saints both on the walls and at the front where you can pray at including St Francis of Assisi, and the paintings of the various stations of the Cross on the wall.

A beautifully designed church too. Donations are always welcome.

1  Thank Mawson R