“Impressed!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #176 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Perth, Australia
“Impressed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed at The Sultan suite at mid-may 2012.
Overall we were very impressed with the boutique hotel - it had a resort feel to it.

Location - $6-$7 SIN cab ride to ION on orchard. It takes around 10 minutes to walk to Bugis where you can catch the MRT to Orchard.
Make sure you visit the hawkers across the road - amazing food. $2.50SIN chicken rice. Cheapest we have seen yet.

Rooms - Amazing! Very spacious, loved the design! Big comfy king bed. Bathroom on the small side but nice. The hot water didn't last too long but it being so hot in Singapore it was not a big issue. Was disappointed there was no full length mirror in the room only the small bathroom mirror to get ready in front of.
No issue with noise. We hardly heard a thing.

Breakfast - Very disappointing. Same thing everyday for the 4 days we stayed there. A very simple buffet breakfast. Simple things like yogurt were not included. Coffee and tea were foul.
On more than 2 occasions there was no clean coffee/tea cups left, Teaspoons no where to be seen. No water/juice left etc. Some food not replenished. However the staff were nice and prompt when I pointed this out. As someone already suggested a simple a la carte menu - with the chef cooking to order would work much better for the small restaurant.

Rooftop Bar - loved the setup. Cocktails were great! you must try the apple martini! we shared the platter and found it quite tasty.

No pool or gym - would have been nice maybe even a spa.. but it did not bother us for our short stay.

Staff were nice and pleasant. Thought one guy at the reception acted half asleep and weird, like he was out of it when we asked him something.

We visit Singapore annually and would consider staying again if the issues mentioned above were fixed.

Room Tip: Would recommend The Sultan suite 222.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jussy_11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I'm extremely picky about hotels. I usually book the ones that come with executive lounge access, the newest amenities, oh and free cocktails. My husband dared me to book something out of my comfort zone and so I booked a Sultan room for 4 nights.

We arrived and were checked in quickly and shown to our room on the 2nd floor and were given an explanation of everything we needed to know by the guy on reception (Gant, I think his name is).

So first things first upon arriving, I needed a lie down and a cup of tea. BUT, aaarrrgh, no milk! Only coffee-mate, which is not suitable for tea. So I phoned the reception and asked if we could have some, but was told that the hotel does not provide room service and I should either go buy a glass of milk from the bar or bring my own in! Thankfully, Gant said he would bring me some up seeing as we had just arrived.

On our first night, we had to ask to move as our room was adjacent to the outside seating area of the bar. The room was nice but noisy. At 11pm, all we could hear was the giggle cackling noises that ladies make after a few wines (yes, we've all done it) and the shutting of the bar toilet door on the other side of our room. We were offered an upgrade to the Junior Suite on the 1st floor. You could still hear some noise from the street but it was significantly quieter than the room we were already in. The guy on reception also offered to let us look at other rooms for future bookings. He took us up to the 3rd floor and let us see the attic room, which was the lowest grade of room. It was so peaceful, that we opted for a downgrade instead of the upgrade. He also let me satisfy my curiosity in seeing the Sultan Suite, which was also on the 3rd floor. Now, that is a lovely room! Anyway, we moved into our peaceful Attic room. The bed is on a platform, so I don't think it would be suitable for someone with knee problems, as you have to kind of crawl into bed. But what a comfy bed it was!

The bathroom was smaller than our previous room, but did the job. The shower was nice but the floor tiles had just started to get those pesky pink stains on the grout. Nothing that bleach and a toothbrush won't get out (now you see why I find it hard to book hotels out of my comfort zone), but other than that, it was fine.

Tea and instant coffee were replenished everyday, but unfortunately the 3 coffee pods that are supplied for the coffee machine were not replenished at all. 3 coffee pods for your entire stay is a bit rubbish if you're staying more than one night and like coffee! It seems a bit tight seeing as the cost of the rooms are not really cheap.

There is only one mirror in the rooms, that being the one in the bathroom above the sink - the rooms must have been designed by a man ;). There is space for a full length mirror in the room. It would have made a huge difference to the trip, as I had to wait for my husband to get out of the bathroom every time I wanted to do my hair, make up etc and again, my husband would get fed up of me taking extra time in the bathroom for those same reasons.

We went for breakfast the first morning of our stay at 9.30am. It was terrible. It was supposed to be a buffet but there was very little of each food item out. Even when they were replenished, it was as if the staff were worried it would be wasted and only put a small amount more out. It would have been far nicer if breakfast was cooked to order instead of a buffet. All it needed was a few items on a menu for guests to choose from, such as a full cooked breakfast, or eggs and just leave out cereals and bread for guests to take if they wanted. I don't know who cooks the breakfast as the reception guy had told me that the food and beverage outlets were not operated by the hotel, but by a separate company when I was asking for milk. The tea and coffee were horrid too (it may have been the UHT tasting milk that spoilt it). The tables were in the hotel reception area, which was odd, but there were only a small number of tables out. One couple even had to go and sit at the coffee table by the stairs to eat as there were no dining tables left. We didn't bother with breakfast after that, it just wasn't worth getting up for.

The hotel probably isn't located on a popular tourist area, but it is only about 10 minutes walk from the MRT station and so guests can easily access places they wish to visit or even the airport by using the train system. But, we just discovered yesterday after our long trip on the MRT to visit Little India, that you can probably walk there from the hotel (if you enjoy walking), instead of taking the long way round! So check your maps before you go out anywhere!

All in all, we did enjoy our stay. It's a fairly new hotel and my above niggles are probably just things that come up with any new venture. Gant seemed appreciative of guests raising issues or concerns (as well as compliments) and always said that he would pass on these matters to his superiors.

Being a boutique hotel, there are a couple of small cheap extras that they could do to make guests visit that little bit more special. Even just free fresh tea or coffee in the hotel lobby throughout the day for guests while you peruse the papers or read a chapter of your book would make all the difference. It wouldn't cost too much but would be a nice little extra for guests to gush about when telling their friends about The Sultan.

Room Tip: Bring your own milk!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dogpaw
Charmaine O, Owner at The Sultan, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Hi Dogpaw,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Sultan!

We are very disheartened to hear that you encountered quite a number of problems during your stay with us, and would like you to know that we are doing our best to rectify them so that no one else will have to encounter these problems again. We would however also like thank you for providing us the inspiration to implement these new changes in the upcoming month:

- We will be setting out a little drinks/ refreshment station at the hotel lobby so people can help themselves to a bit of tea/ coffee/ cold drinks while relaxing in the vicinity.
- Our contractors are already designing full length mirrors for all our hotel guest rooms
- We will be replenishing the coffee pods in all rooms daily
- We have engaged a contractor to help us with the noise problems. We are currently exploring a few methods, including but not limited to: sound insulating curtains, door sealants, and tempered glass

In view of your extremely constructive feedback and for giving us the generous chance to host you when you visited Singapore, we would like to extend to you a chance to check out our Skylight Suite (the suite on the 3rd floor that you had a peek at) next time you're in sunny Singapore! If you do find yourself considering hotel options in Singapore, do drop me an email at info@thesultan.com.sg (Attn: Charmaine) and we'll set you up with a bigger and better experience at The Sultan!

(On behalf of The Sultan Family),
Abu Dhabi/ Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

stayed here 2 nights for a stopover for work and booked through the Wotif website, managing to get a single rooms for around 171ish SGD (not sure why it didn't show the single room availability on their website though). Have to agree with majority of the comments from other travelers so far.
In any case, was pleasantly surprise to find the single room nicely done. Though small, it is cozy and fulfills my needs. Toiletries are provided, and though they say the rooms are not equipped with wifi, the ground floors rooms have coverage (i do believe they are using 3 generation connection which made it really fast! I have been to middle east and China and their hotels pale by comparison in terms of wifi), and I was informed by the staff they are in the process of making all the rooms wifi connected, so that should be good for future travelers.
Walls can be a little thin, hence the occasional chatter and sound is unavoidable (especially over weekend when the crowds are out to party), light-sleepers would perhaps have to specify the need on room location to have a good rest (love the really comfortable pillows btw).
Didn't try the breakfast or the restaurant as the location is so convenient and there are plenty of good food with more affordable prices just around the corner. Located within a heritage site with plenty of nice boutique and quirky shops along Haji lane. Went to Maison Ikokku for amazing bkfst and coffee, and had amazing aburi sushi at this placed called Sangokai, really no shortage of good food.
They would likely be having some competition from a new establishment called the 5footway.inn just a brief walk down farther, so I do hope they keep up their level of service. Staff and service have been very good thus far.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

A refurbished grand Islamic house, adjacent to a refurbished chophouse, this is yet another modern, boutique hotel in Singapore, for those who are tired of the big chains with a thousand rooms.

Service is brilliant. The staff here are very friendly and helpful, the best I have met in a long time.

The decor of the lobby, corridors, rooms is very pleasing to the eye, quite welcoming. There is a pond in the centre of the ground floor rooming area with fish and tiny turtles living in it. The rooms themselves are very small, yet much has been made of the limited space. Beautifully decorated and comfortable, yet still a little claustrophobic due to the lack of natural light (my room only had a tiny window looking on to the corridor). There are tea-making facilities, an espresso machine, free wi-fi, a very good bathroom with a magnificent shower.

The location can not be beat. Close to the Sultan Mosque and Haji Lane, with a wealth of excellent and cheap dining options all around. You will want to eat out. Breakfast is forgettable here.

The only thing missing is a swimming pool.

I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good window.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank clownshoes
Charmaine O, Owner at The Sultan, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Hi Clownshoes,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Sultan!

We also really appreciate you taking time out to share your experience with others on TripAdvisor.

We would love to have you back with us again to show you a bigger and better time at The Sultan! If you ever find yourself traveling to Singapore again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at info@thesultan.com.sg (Attn: Charmaine).

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Lovely room, high ceilings, modern, great shower (high pressure), comfy bed, flat-screen TV, and espresso machine! Front desk staff very helpful & accomodating (provided a razor!) The restaurant's vegetarian dish was terrible- $25/plate for couscous with NO flavor and vegetables, an outrageous price for such low-grade ingredients. The location is perfect, a short walk to Bugis, tons of great shopping centres and movie theatre. Across the street there is an excellent strip of food vendors - one is completely vegetarian, a plate of food with various dishes for $3 and it's DELICIOUS!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Charmaine O, Owner at The Sultan, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Hi BoomBliss,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Sultan!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed most of your stay with us, and cannot wait for you to visit us again soon!

We are, however, disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your meal at our restaurant, Pasha. We are constantly reviewing and giving feedback to our F&B arm and we really appreciate you taking the time out to provide your opinion to us. Pasha's menu changes every few months, with new items added and less popular items taken out, so we will be sure to update our vegetarian offerings.

We would love to have you with us again so if you find yourself traveling to Singapore please get in touch with me directly at info@thesultan.com.sg (Attn: Charmaine) and we will set you up with a bigger and better Sultan experience!

With King Regards,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night and the room itself was lovely. Nicely fitted out with lots of great features and a really good shower. Staff at reception were helpful and welcoming.

Unfortunately the hotel was also incredibly noisy. After a long haul flight all I wanted was to sleep, but two lots of music were blasting into the room from different directions. And the room was on the intersection of a hallway and a walkway on the ground floor - meaning I had people chatting outside the window throughout the night and rowdy staff going past the door in the morning.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Blue_Cat_Pod
Charmaine O, Owner at The Sultan, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Hi Blue_Cat_Pod,

Thank you for staying with us at The Sultan! We are honoured to have had you as our guest.

We are terribly sorry for your bad experience at The Sultan. A hotel's sleep quality is one of the most (if not THE most) important component of a hotel guest's hotel experience (we are supplying bedrooms after all) so we are extremely regretful that you could not even enjoy that. The fact that some of the noise and sleep disruptions you felt was supplied by the hotel's own staff makes this even more embarrassing. We want to assure you that everything is being done (we have identified the culprits and have issued warnings to them accordingly) to ensure that something like this never happens again.

In view of your bad experience with us, we do want to extend some form of compensation to you should you ever find yourself in Singapore again. Please write in to info@thesultan.com.sg (Attn: Charmaine) should you be planning another trip to Singapore in the future and I will set you up with a bigger, better, and more relaxing The Sultan experience than the last.

We thank you for taking the time out to review us on TripAdvisor and hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again soon!

Charmaine

Travellers are raving about these Singapore hotels

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

It is a sophisticated hotel as i just said in the region. Clean and bright with style.
It is about 7-10 mins walks to bugis or lavender station. Room is a little bit too small as a reckon. Staff are very friendly though.

I stayed in and have breakfast each day and found the serving team isnt as professional as the front desk. Like they ran out of milk or butter at the buffet table without refill for 2 days out of 3 days that we stayed..the breakfast food isnt hot neither warm at 9am when we had it..which is a little bit disappointed. and we could find no one to assist sometimes at the breakfast section. Wish they could make sure there is enough manpower to serve us next time if we visit again.

Despite the food, all others are good if u arent looking for much hotel facilities like pool and stuff.

Room Tip: The platform room is a bit too small for 2 people luggages. suggest to get at least a sultan room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Charmaine O, Owner at The Sultan, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Hi Minwt,

Thank you for staying with us at The Sultan!

We would also like to thank you for taking time out to share your honest views about your experience at the hotel.

We would like to assure you that we have taken your comments about your unpleasant breakfast experience directly to our breakfast operator. We have been going through several rounds of breakfast changes (from ala carte to semi-ala carte to buffet selection) and we want to apologize if our product and service has not kept up with guest expectations during this transition.

Please rest assured that The Sultan always strives to improve itself and maximize the guest experience at the hotel. We have already found new ways of keeping our buffet breakfast food BOTH fresh and heated, and have assigned more breakfast staff to service our guests. On top of that, we are constantly reviewing our breakfast selection and guest services so we can improve all aspects of guest experience at the hotel.

We thank you very much for sharing your opinions with us and also for giving The Sultan a chance to host you during your stay in Singapore. Please get in touch with me directly at info@thesultan.com.sg (Attn: Charmaine) the next time you plan to be in Singapore and we promise to give you a bigger and better accommodation experience. That is our pledge to you.

With King Regards,