“Well-located budget and clean hotel”

Fragrance Hotel - Riverside
Ranked #140 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Bengaluru, India
“Well-located budget and clean hotel”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Of around 4 hotels I stayed in KL, SIN and Langkawi, this is the hotel I miss a lot at the end of my trip, just coz of its location, clean rooms, facilities. I was hesitating while booking this hotel due to bad feedback on Fragrance hotels. But I had a pleasant and memorable stay in this hotel. Yes or course, the rooms are way small, but the service and facilities are too good for this budget hotel. You can have a leisure walk on the river banks at any time in the night and walk back to room safely. Its very close to lively clarke quay and many food options. You have a 7eleven shop at the basement of the hotel. I will definitely stay here during my next visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room with window. If you have too many baggages (say more than 4) it will be difficult to a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SVAshok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Stayed there 4 nights in June 2013. Upgraded to deluxe for 10 sgd/ night + another 10/ night for wifi ( very good signal). Rooms are well kept, nice sheets, excellent staff and amazing location. Bonus: the rooftop pool is open 7am - 10pm. Next to the hotel there is a nonstop store and a bar with outdoor smoking area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I am fine with staying at budget hotels during my travels since I rather save a bit on accommodation and spend my moola on immersing into the countries scenes, culture and food. In the case of Singapore, it's a necessity since most of the hotels here are very expensive. I usually go in without high expectations and once in a while I get rewarded with a really nice hotel stayl. This hotel was one of such hotels that I eventually came out of feeling good

Lets manage expectations here...

First of all, don't expect large rooms. It's Singapore, space is scares so the room sizes here will be small. If you want bigger room size, be ready to pay a lot at the other hotels. If you come with a family or a group for friends, it will be cramp but for the price you pay, it's worth the discomfort.

Secondly, don't expect a room with a view. As in point 1, Singapore is a city where most of the prime areas have been developed with high rise buildings. And because of the scarcity of land area, a lot of these building will be close to one another. So don't be surprised you get a room that faces another person's kitchen!

Thirdly, it's always cheaper and more efficient to commute using public transport in Singapore since most of the places of interest is within walking distance of near to an MRT or bus station. So a good hotel will be strategically located somewhere close to the MRT or bus station.

My overall impression of this hotel...

I stayed here for 4 nights and was pleasantly surprised its tastefully designed modern room and the good service provided by staff manning the reception area. I asked for a room upgrade for an extra charge but the extra room space was well worth it. The location of this hotel is excellent. There is a Central Mall across the road for a bit of dining and shopping. At night, it's party time at Clarke Quay or leisure drinks at Boat Quay, both of which are 10min walk from the hotel. The MRT is just walking distance away and one train stop away from Chinatown and Orchard Road (Dhobi Ghaut). This hotel also has a nice little pool at the top floor, perfect for an evening dip and chilling out with friends.

The only negative point I had was the floor of the room was perpetually damp, which was probably due to the building structure or the ventilation. I packed my slippers for my trips so it proved handy then.

Hope this review helps and have a pleasant trip to Singapore :)

Room Tip: Go for higher floors so that you hear less of the traffic outside. The smaller rooms are usually win...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alan_klangboy
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 6 June 2013

For a reasonably priced hotel in Singapore, I had a good experience at this hotel. Small rooms, but you have to pay a lot more for a large room in Singapore. Clean, nice quality sheets, very friendly staff, and the wifi was good. They even upgraded me to a 3 person room as they had the space which I thought was very nice. The location is excellent - great for the MRT (subway) and Clarke Quay, which is a big tourist area. Also close enough to the business district if like me you are there on business as well as pleasure.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows, I booked online and asked specifically for a room with a window...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Good location for sightseeing, food, MRT, etc. Rooms are basically the same size, i.e. small and good for people travel light. Even for windowless room, it is not that bad considered the price. The only problem is the air conditioning. My windowless room has a lot of water condensation on the wall. It is good that the hotel provides a dehumidifer to solve the problem. But it is only good for 5-6 hours and the alarm will sound in the middle of the night. Got a free upgrade to a window room. The wall is okay but the floor is still wet. Guess it is design problem but staff is very helpful. Another problem is that the telephone no. shown on the hotel key card is wrong. Just be careful if you expect calls to your hotel.

Also try to avoid StarHub for pre-paid 3G SIM card. They said I used up more 1 GB data in 10 hours while my phone measured only 80 MB,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I apologise for the less than satisfactory hotel stay experience in the hotel, but was glad to know that you had found our staff helpful in their services.

The contact numbers shown on the hotel key card in fact belonged to the Hotel Room Reservation Department. As we are operating as a chain and for the guest's convenience, it would be easier for the guest to reach us with just one main contact number.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Yes rooms are tiny....No argument on that.
I think you cant expect anything much better @ ~100 S$ in Clarke Quay Location.
If you are a independent budget traveler looking for a basic clean hotel in a convenient location Fragrance River Side is a decent choice. I read lot of reviews abt this hotel and made up my mind for a very tiny room but room was better than I expected.

Pros.
1. Very neat clean hotel
2. Hotel is comparatively new
3. It is almost opposite to Clarke Quay MRT (5 mins walk from MRT)
4. Very clean pool in case you want relax after a tiring a day
5. Friendly staff
6. Eating places and 7eleven stores around ( Subway near to MRT is a good option)
7. Clarke Quay is a happening place.

Let me share my experience.
I landed Singapore around 9.30 AM and called the hotel (my reservation was from 3 PM). They promised me a room by 2 PM. I just roamed around china town and reached hotel by 1.30 and my room was ready. I got complementary wifi as I book through fragrance website. This is what i suggest everyone instead of going through third party sites book directly from fragrance website, it is kind of more profitable. I dont spend much time in room as I was busy in exploring Singapore. I used to get sandwich from 7eleven store for my break fast before leaving hotel and night I came back to hotel after dinner directly go to pool to relax. Forgot to mention they used to charge 100S$ refundable deposit during check-in. I checked out 12 noon after 2 days. They provide break fast also for an additional 4.25S$ per person while booing through website but I havnt opted for that. Considering the expenses in Singapore that is also not a bad option.

Verdict:
So my thought is for a independent budget traveler this is a decent option cos of price location and cleanliness of hotel. You get what you pay so that makes the equation simple. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Emet123
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that the hotel had met your expectations!

You are right spot-on for everything that was mentioned in your hotel stay review.

For the guest's information, I wished to clarify that the complimentary Wi-Fi service is provided to all our guests who booked the rooms via the hotel website only. This promotion will run indefinitely, subject to end without notice. Guests will also enjoy a discounted rate if they purchase their breakfast voucher together with the hotel room booking online.

I look forward to your return for your next trip to Singapore!
Edinburgh
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Just fab. If only all hotels were like this.

Small rooms but perfectly formed. Small wet room bathroom but we didn't mind becausenitbmeant the room was affordable and a great location.

Great rooftop pool. Small gym with treadmill which you just need to ask reception for the key for.

Room Tip: It pays to upgrade here. Upgrade was $20 from memory which included free wifi and breakfast and a be...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple