“Singapore 101”

Singapore Footprints
Ranked #37 of 135 Tours in Singapore
More attraction details
Owner description: Singapore Footprints's free guided walks will allow participants to marvel at the modern developments around Marina Bay and venture off the beaten track on a cultural trail to appreciate how the different races and religious communities co-exist harmoniously in our multi-racial society. We call ourselves the "Walkaholics", a group of passionate students from Nanyang Technological University, committed to running these volunteer walks through our city, every weekend, rain or shine! Every Saturday and Sunday, 4:15pm, Raffles Place MRT Exit B, come on down and walk with us!
Singapore, Singapore
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Singapore 101”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The fact that young Singaporeans volunteer to education people about Singapore is amazing. This FREE service gives you an introduction to the Lion City, and its history. The guides are genuinely proud of their country and totally willing to impart this knowledge to everyone. Even though I've lived in Singapore for 5+ years, there was plenty I didn't know about Singapore. Make sure to bring water and comfortable walking shoes, they don't call the tour guides 'walkaholics' for nothing.

Visited June 2014

• Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A long weekend in Singapore”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We flew out to Singapore to take advantage of the long weekend. As it is only a seven hour flight we got into our hotel in enough time to have a cheeky cocktail before we adjourned for the night.

We stayed at the Swissotel Stamford which was ideally situated next to the City Hall underground station.

The train tickets system works very well. You buy a physical ticket once and then you can top up this ticket 6 times before you have to get a new one. I like this idea and it would work well in other countries.

Singapore has changed a lot since I spent six months living there. For a start the network of underground CityLinks has been extended considerably to keep everyday workers out of the 89% humidity and 32 degree days. However despite your best efforts, it is likely that you will be caught outside at some point, so embrace the humidity.

Our trip to Singapore this weekend was punctuated by rooftop bars. The Stamford has the City Space bar on the 70th floor, which may not have the best views, but certainly has the best service and a vast array of cocktails. The manager knew our names after the first visit and she made sure to make us feel welcome every night after that.

The Lighthouse bar on the rooftop of the Fullerton hotel had a good view back onto the Marina for the light show courtesy of the Marina Bay Sand, and was ideally positioned for having a seafood dinner in the bay behind the Fullerton.

The Marina Bay Sands has its own rooftop bar called Ku De Ta, and although this had great views of the city, I feel that it took itself far too seriously for such a small and cramped space. This venue is not a patch on its Bangkok sister which deserves its reputation and my respect.

The Fullerton Bay Hotel, not to be confused with the above mentioned Fullerton, has a very nice waterfront bar called The Lantern. This has an after work feel to it and certainly would come alive in the evening as the sun went down.

When wandering around during the day, I found it interesting how we felt that we had stepped into a different country as we moved from Chinatown to Little India.

I even managed to spend some time on Orchard Road where I used to spend most of my evenings hopping from one hotel piano bar to another.

Raffles still has an open courtyard policy, however you are no longer able to go inside the hotel any more, however it has been nearly 20 years since I had tried.

Sentosa Island is still a big draw card for Singaporeans as the ‘CenterParcs’ of that region and in the past I have found it worthwhile to take the cable car across, purely for the experience.

Singapore is a great way to acclimatise to Asia, and is a good jumping off point into Malaysia, especially if you take the night train into Kuala Lumpur. However apart from the inner city living, there is not much else to explore.

Singapore is a great long weekend destination, however you will certainly pay for it with jetlag upon your return.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank jeditopcat
Whitstable, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“A must!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We found this through trip advisor as would recommend it to anyone! The two tour guides were great- very enthusiastic and interesting. It's a great idea and tourists should take advantage of it. Worth a tip!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Traveller10205
“Rediscovering our Island City”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife & I went for the "mini trek" with our friendly guides fr SG Footprints. Extremely informative & eye-opening. Made us want to re-discover our little island with all it's hidden "gems". Thanks once again to our guides Darryl, Shu Wei & Yong Ping

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Singapore Footprints WalkingTour”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Interesting and varied walking tour covering sights, history, culture and living in Singapore. The guides were fun and it was interactive.

Visited March 2014