“Singapore Vacation”

Ranked #23 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Yakima, Washington, United States
“Singapore Vacation”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was an excellent place to stay in Singapore. Good location with nice views from both sides of the hotel. Very spacious rooms and the hotel staff was top notch. Friendly. Efficient. Professional. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in two different rooms, both were very nice with good views. Preferred the 11th floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LatteLynn
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear LatteLynn

Thank you for providing such a glowing review from your experience you had at Village Hotel Katong.

We were pleased to of been of service to you and look forward to being able to accommodate you again when next in Singapore.

Village Hotel Katong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very nice, spacious and clean room but the noise from the hotel aircon (not the in-room one you can control) was ridiculous. Called the engineer but it could do nothing to reduce the noise, apparently all the rooms in the hotel were the same so there would be no point changing rooms. It was like trying to sleep with a jet engine in the room. Also the shower was cold when I arrived. Won't be staying again, I like to be able to sleep in a hotel room at night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank bromley8
Dear bromley8

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Allow me to sincerely apologise for the experience you had at the hotel, and that we were not able to resolve this for you during your stay.

I can personally assure you that all our rooms are not noisy, and that the noise you did experience has since been fixed.

I trust this experience does not tarnish your overall view of Village Hotel Katong, and I look forward to the opportunity of being able to accommodate you again when next required.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Good and clean rooms, efficient check-in and out, courteous and accommodating staff. Plus side is the presence of a supermarket at the lower ground floor as well as a mall, although closes at 23H00. Wished it was open 24 hours.

Room Tip: Book early.
1 Thank Joser B
Dear Joser B

Thank you for posting a review from your recent experience at Village Hotel Katong.

Our rooms are indeed very spacious and we pride ourselves on providing great service, with clean and comfortable rooms.

The supermarket on the ground floor is a great service extension we can offer our guests that has a great variety that caters for all people

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to being able to accommodate you again soon

Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Village Katong for 4 nights during our first visit to Singapore. Although the hotel is not on a subway line, there is a free shuttle from the mall I12 just down the block to the closest train stop, as well as a free shuttle from the hotel once daily on weekday mornings. The hotel itself was very comfortable and the staff wonderful. The room was clean, functional, and secure, the work out facilities solid, and the pool nice. Breakfast was expensive so we did not eat at the hotel. I left my cell phone in a taxi one evening and they promptly obtained the name and number of the driver and assisted us in getting the driver quickly back with my phone. All in all a great place to stay and we would happily stay here again.

Dear AtlantaRambler

Thank you for providing a review from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased we were able to provide you a comfortable stay, and you very much enjoyed our spacious rooms and the local area.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again when next in Singapore.

Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This review comes a little late but I felt that I owed the staff and management of Katong Village Hotel a review.

My wife, then 9-month old baby and I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks in May while our apartment was being renovated. We stayed in the junior suite (if my memory serves me well).

To summarise, we received the level of service that is comparable to the best hotels we have stayed in the past.

The hardware - the room amenities and hotel facilities were more than adequate. Not luxurious but certainly more than adequate.

More importantly, service significantly exceeded expectations. It was sincere and personal. During our stay, my wife and I talked about the service we would receive at 5-star hotels which were extremely competent, but that felt professional rather than personal or sincere.

This was different - we were with a baby in a foreign (i.e. non-home) environment for an extended period of time and yet could not feel more at home. The hotel staff tried their best (and did a great job) to make us feel that way - Jane who was patient in showing us all the different room options and helped us with the club lounge provisions, Ben who helped us with our reservations and requests, Janessa who manned the club lounge and supplied us with snacks while we waited for our daily room service dinner (while feeding our baby), and the room service staff (props to Dicky who dropped by to make sure we were ok when our room service order was missed) who were most helpful and friendly during our stay. Not surprisingly, we had numerous requests during our stay - extra chairs, extra towels, unplanned cleaning, etc - the hotel staff were most helpful and obliging in all instances.

The level of service surprised us. We were expecting competent, professional service that is usually the case in Singapore. Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor before our stay, our expectations were perhaps even somewhat raised and we were hopeful that our stay would be relatively comfortable. We have to say that the hotel and its staff significantly exceeded our expectations and we checked out after 2 weeks with fond memories. So much so that we would recommend any friend visiting us in Singapore to stay in the hotel, and we would put any visiting family member up in the hotel without hesitation.

To the hotel staff, a heartfelt thank you from my wife, baby and I. We are truly grateful for your hospitality during our stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JMTan
Dear JMTan

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review from your stay you enjoyed so much with your family at Village Hotel Katong.

When I read your reveiw, it is the reason why my team and I are in this industry. For us it is all about creating memorable experiences that resonate with your guests and make them feel like we are an extension of your family.

I am truly appreciative of your kind words, and have personally read out your review to the team at our monthly team meeting that gathers the entire team collectively as one.

Melbourne
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had two short stays at Village Hotel Katong whilst travelling to/from Asia. The hotel is modern with a great swimming pool. Although not located in the city there is a fantastic shopping centre across the road and plenty of places to eat from local Hawker food to restaurants located on Geylang Road. The bed is comfortable and shower is huge. They also offer a complimentary shuttle service to Terminal 2 and 3. For such a great price including lovely friendly staff we would stay again.

Room Tip: We were located on levels 5 and 11 and they were very quite.
1 Thank Sallie F
Dear salliefletcher2013

Thank you for providing such a wonderful reveiw from your recent stay with Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased to of been able to accommodate you for both your inbound and outbound visits via Singapore.

The local Katong area has so much to offer in regards to amazing local food, to affordable shopping, and a heritage that is so rich in culture.

The hotel does offer a great complimentary airport shuttle service which I am pleased your were able to enjoy for both your stays.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again when next passing thru Singapore

Singapore
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I said I’d come again and I did, and I’m glad I did. :o)

I noticed that there had been some little improvements since my last stay, like more Peranakan motifs and plates and spoons in the lounge etc. It’s good to see that the hotel do take guests’ feedback seriously.

My wife and I stayed at the Premier Peranakan room as previously suggested by the hotel GM and we loved it. The GM also left a card to welcome us back to the hotel. That was a very nice gesture. I dropped him an email but I didn’t hear a reply. I guess he was out of town. But it was nonetheless a nice gesture to be remembered.

My wife and I are already thinking about going there again for our next couple retreat.

Not-so-good:

- I mentioned in my earlier review about the lack of views in the rooms. Do note that some rooms, like mine, allow people in the next building to look in, and you may have to keep your curtains drawn 24/7 if you don’t like people looking in. That’s the biggest drawback I find in the, otherwise, fantastic rooms. Do note this if you are someone (like me) who wants sunlight in your room.

- In the lounge, it would be nice to leave some honey packets at the serving area. I could ask for one when the staff was around, but I couldn’t find or get any when no staff was around. Some people just prefer honey to sugar for our tea.

- I don’t know if this was a communication breakdown between the Far East main office and the hotel, or a communication breakdown within the hotel. I had qualified for a voucher for booking the stay via the stayfareast.com website, but the voucher was not in stock until the evening, after our dinner. Well, what if the voucher could have been used for our dinner? (It couldn’t, but, what if?)

- That said, I must commend the lady who checked us in (Ida). She was very friendly, very nice, had a very nice smile, and (very importantly!) remembered my name when I approached her later in the evening when I had some queries. Thank you, Ida. You set our mood for our stay. :o)

Tips:

If you have the lounge option, go for breakfast in the café rather than in the lounge. The selection in the café is much, much better. Have breakfast in the lounge only for the peace and quiet. That said, the breakfast is nothing fantastic. Sorry to say this, because my wife and I really enjoyed our stay in this hotel, but you can get much better food just by crossing the road and walking to Marine Parade Food Centre. If you’re a tourist, skip the breakfast in the hotel and cross the road and walk to Marine Parade Food Centre for very good local food at very good prices.

1 Thank RSTT
Dear RSTT

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Firstly allow me to apologise for the small mix up with the hotel voucher, and trust this did not tarnish the overall experience for you.

The hotel has been recently refurbished and each room has been fitted with large block out curtains and effective sheer curtains that do provide adequate privacy with light penetration for our guests comfort. That said, I will be sure to personally inspect your room to ensure this standard is so.

I do not recall receiving your email, however do feel free to contact me on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg if I can be of any service to you or if you wish to book a return stay.