“My stop-over at Village Hotel, Katong” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality

Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #21 of 308 Hotels in Singapore
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“My stop-over at Village Hotel, Katong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

On arrive at the hotel I was pleasantly surprised and delighted at the presentation of the reception, and very impressed with Brandan (receptionist) who looked after me. He offered to show me rooms on different floors before signing in. I chose the room on 12th floor which gave a fantastic city view. The room was very clean and spacious - 2 beds (just for me)!! The decor was very beautiful. The hotel is in a busy area with restaurants, and the bus routes into the city is just outside. I used the local bus each day (70c) to Marina Bay Sands! All of the hotel staff were very helpful and pleasant, making my stay very enjoyable.

I would definitely book into the Village Hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see the room before signing in.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank kathyspeleoto
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear kathyspeleoto

Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased we were able to provide such a great experience to you and in particular the great service that Brandon extended to you.

I welcome the opportunity to being able to accommodate you again when next in Singapore.

Do feel free to contact me on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg for your future stays so I can personally assist with your requirements.

Village Hotel Katong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had a nice staycation during the long weekend in July. The hotel location is simply good as it's in the area where the good local food are.
The hotel lobby was nice and inviting upon arriving with bellboy asking if we needed any help.
We had booked a Superior room but was upgraded to a Deluxe room which was a pleasant surprise for me and my family. We were attended to by Brandon at front desk and was impressed by his customer service skills where he explained in details of our stay which has one of 3 activities at Big Splash to chose from.
Room was spacious and clean. The elements of the room has the Peranakan décor which was nice n pleasing. Bathroom was clean as well. Room view was great facing Parkway Parade.
I will not hesitate to stay here once again. . .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank NgGregory
Dear NgGregory

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of Village Hotel Katong from your recent staycation at the hotel.

We pride ourselves on "Great Hospitality" and it is always rewarding to hear that directly from our guests. I also appreciate your kind words for Brandon who is a Senior Assistant Manager at the hotel and an advocate to providing special moments for our guests.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon, and do feel free to contact me on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg for your future stays so I can personally assist with your requirements.

Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

It's in east Singapore, 20 mins driving from airport. The surrounding is more like the traditional Singapore (compared to downtown) with many restaurants, 2 shopping centers and a supermarket just underneath. It is not close to any MRT - taxi to MRT may cost $6-8. The lobby looks nice with lots of individual sofas while the inside restaurant is relatively small as well as the "round" outdoor swimming pool. Room is big with a tube next to the bed. The most amazing thing is the shower floor is laminated (not stone)!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank adwangliang
Dear adwangliang

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay and the conveniences of the hotels location to both the airport and the city. We are in fact the middle point between both, approximately 15 minutes either way.

The local area is full of great surprises around Katong, which is a traditional Peranakan area that we have also infused into the hotel decor with the bright colours and motif touch points.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed for 3 nights in late July 2014 and had a decent stay. The room was very clean and spacious. The Wi-Fi worked well in the room. The air conditioner also functioned well. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel had a decent gym with good equipment that was open 24 hours. I used the gym every night. The hotel also has a nice pool located in front of the gym.
The breakfast at the restaurant was also good with various breakfast options. The hotel is located in the eastern part of Singapore in Katong in a quiet residential area. I was able to get to the central and touristy areas by taking either a bus or a bus and the metro. There is a bus stop near the hotel. It was very easy and cheap to travel around Singapore with public transportation. The hotel offers a free airport transportation shuttle bus.

The staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, construction was scheduled near my room every morning from 8 until 10 am. For the first 2 nights I couldn’t sleep in because I was awaken by the drilling sound. I made a complaint to the front desk and spoke to the manager. The manager apologized for the inconvenience and offered me to change rooms. He even gave me a few extra benefits during my stay to compensate for the inconvenience I experienced. I was grateful for the manager’s concerns and offer to rectify the situation. I recommended that he shouldn’t have contract work scheduled during the morning hours when guests may be sleeping. The manager apologized and explained that the project manager for the construction work had already scheduled work plans and that he couldn’t change the time that work was being done on the hotel so he offered me to switch to a more quiet room.

Overall, I had a good stay and would recommend this hotel and stay again. The next time, I will complain sooner, if there is construction work, so that I don’t have to spend any more mornings without decent sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank vacaciones71
Dear vacaciones71

Thank you for providing such an informative review with compliments about your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

As a regular reviewer on trip advisor, it is rewarding to read such great things the hotel has done to make your stay a positive memory.

Allow me to extend my apology for the disturbance of the construction works that have since concluded, and trust this experience did not tarnish your overall view of Village Hotel Katong.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at the Village Hotel Katong as a one night stopover in transit to our European holiday and upon returning home. It is an ideal stopover hotel only 20 mins to the airport (free shuttle bus transfers included) but with a little bit of the Singapore experience provided via a free hopon-hopoff bus around the major Singapore tourist areas. The hotel location is off the main street and some distance away from the hustle and bustle of the main Singapore shopping area however there is a very nice shopping mall located across the road and a hawker street food complex nearby (not to mention a small shopping complex underneath the hotel)

We had a 'club lounge' room situated on the 6th Floor and the room was large with very modern décor and spotlessly clean (king size bed was great !). The additional cost of the club lounge was great value and provided us with a good breakfast, water/soft drinks/coffee through the day and cocktails/hor d'oeuvres in the evening. Our check out time was with the club room was extended to 4.00pm

Our flights on both legs were extremely late in the evening (11.30 pm) however the hotel kept our bags in storage until we were ready to leave.

We didn't take a dip in the pool but we did have a look and it was clean and pool towels in ready supply (a small gym located adjacent to the pool has modern equipment, treadmills, etc).

Staff on the front desk and in the club lounge were friendly and helpful.

All in all a great stop-over hotel that offers great value for money.

We would certainly stay again on future Singapore stopovers

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MattyP
Dear MattyP

Thank you for providing such an informative and positive review from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I was great to read the hotel was able to deliver such a high standard of service to you at each and every touch point.

The club experience we provide at the hotel is the real "hero" of our guest stay, and your kind review supports this so well. Thank you

Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel the nights of July 18-21 of this year. Overall our experience was fantastic. We had a very lovely room with not much of a view, but I'm not sure any of the rooms had a view, so we didn't feel slighted.
We opted for the upgrade package which included the executive lounge, full access to the in-room mini bar, morning breakfast buffet and, of all things, a free day on the hop-on, hop-off bus around the City. We felt it was a good investment, and would have been exceptional if we hadn't already had breakfast included through our travel agency. You may want to look into this option if you enjoy cocktails in the afternoon and aren't in the mood to go hunting for a good breakfast every morning.
Speaking of food, the buffet breakfast is extensive. The restaurant makes sure that they vary the selections somewhat each morning so you have a different selection from which to choose. The Asian choices are there as well as the typical Western offerings. All, and I mean all, was delicious. If I had one suggestion to the restaurant, it would be to refresh the cheese tray a little more often during the morning. One or two days it look picked over and dried out.
I really liked the guy that cooked the eggs to order. He was serious about his job and really tried to make us happy.
As I mentioned above, we opted for the upgrade package. This allowed us access to the Executive Lounge on the 5th floor. This place was very nice. Unmanned during the daytime, it had soft drinks, snacks, cookies, yogurts and a self-serve espresso machine for "upgraded" guests to use. At 6.00 p.m., however, it turned into a cocktail lounge for those same guests. During that time (up to 8:30 p.m.) we were able to relax with a cool drink and sample the light fare the hotel offered in the lounge as well. Each night in addition to cocktails, the restaurant offered 4 hot hors d' oeuvres as well as a variety of relish items,snacks and sweets. The server who attended to the guests, named Lucy, was fantastic. She was extremely friendly and accommodating, AND her English was great. Thumbs up to Lucy for making our stay at this hotel even more enjoyable.
As has been mentioned by other reviewers, you can literally walk out the back door of the lobby of the Village Hotel Katong, and you'll find yourself in a small shopping mall. There is some specialty stores there, and one floor down, quite a nice grocery store. Within a block or two of the property, you'll be able to find every convenience including a huge shopping mall to rival any that you've seen before.
The hotel provides a complimentary shuttle back and forth to the airport. When getting off your plane just look for the purple signed booth that says ground transportation. The people behind the counter will direct you to the correct waiting area. Make sure you tell them which Village Hotel you are going to, however, since there are different shuttles for the different Village properties.
Our stay at the Village Katong was only tarnished by the internet service. It seems that when too many people are using the server, it lags and becomes what my laptop called "limited" service. This happened to me more than once during our stay, and one time the server went down completely for about an hour. As part of the upgrade package, we were suppose to have enhanced internet speeds. If ours was enhanced, I shutter to think what the other poor guests had to deal with.
One other suggestion I'd like to give to this hotel is that they double up on the number of bath towels provided in the rooms. When guests spend the day out touring hot and humid Singapore they would like a nice shower when they return to the room. Then, of course, when they go to shower the next morning, the towels are already wet.
BTW, I forgot to mention that as part of the upgrade package, each room is afforded two free laundry items per day. This really came in handy as we had nice fresh things to wear on the flight home.
In closing, you will not be disappointed in this property. We would definitely stay here again should we ever return to beautiful Singapore.

Room Tip: see the "upgrade" info above.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AzCowboyJake
Dear AzCowboyJake

Thank you for sharing such an informative review and your positive experiences during your stay at Village Hotel Katong.

The upgrade to our Club Rooms with access to our Peranakan Lounge is a popular choice by many of our guests, and I am pleased you where able to also enjoy it so much. The hotel restaurant on level 4, Katong Kitchen, is also a wonderful place to enjoy your meals whilst at the hotel as the variety provides something for all tastes.

My apology that you had interference with your internet connection that the hotel offers complimentary, and I have sinced looked into this and been able to increase bandwidth and speed to accommodate the demand of our guests each and every time.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, especially with children.
Also the food is very food and wirh regards to local food simply sedap. We have enjoyed every breakfast and also the kids loved the food a lot.
The only thing to mention is the access to MRT. As a family with smaller kids, the next MRT station is not really in walking distance. There is a bus station just outside the hotel, but depending on the traffic bus takes rather long. So we ended up with a lot of taxi and because we are a big family, we always needed two of them.
To summarize, we have enjoyed the hotel a lot, nice rooms and wonderful food. And with the kids getting older and the number of kids coming along with, we certainly will come again.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Manfred A
Dear Mandfred A

Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent stay with Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased your family enjoyed your stay with us and made use of the restaurant and recreational facilities we have on offer.

The hotel is ideal for travelling families as we do provide Family Rooms for that extra bit of space, a relaxing environment that is back from the main street, and access to many local family activities.

Just outside the hotel there is a bus that will take you to the closest MRT which is a short trip away, all alternatively as you note, taxis are readily available and at reasonable prices for the travel journey.

I certainly look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon.

For your future bookings, feel free to contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg