“4 star hotel with 5 star value”

Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality
Ranked #24 of 316 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I hesitated at the beginning because most of the reviews said this hotel is "far from the city". I was afraid that I would be trapped in the middle of nowhere. But once we found the hotel location, entered the lobby and greeted with the friendly staff, we knew we made a right decision.

We booked Premier Peranakan from their hotel website. It was even cheaper price and better value than Agoda because we got free Hop On city tour. Hotel also provide shuttle bus from and to Changi. What made us even more convenient, no matter how late your flight is, they are committed to provide you with shuttle bus and make sure your waiting time between the check out time and your flight is convenient.

About "far from the city"...ah.. we didn't realize this is Singapore! A very tiny country, to say "you are far way from the city" is too much, because you never far away from the city anywhere in Singapore! All the transportation provided from hotel make it even easier if you really want to go to "city". But around the hotel we also find many restaurants by walking distance. Some of them got high star rating from Trip Advisor.

I am a big fan of the room. The Premier Peranakan we booked is actually more expensive but a better value than superior or deluxe room. Remember, Singapore is one of the most expensive city in the world. Take $100 for a hotel in SIngapore; typically what you got is a claustrophobic room with airplane size bathroom. But our room in Village Katong is 35 square meters, bigger but cheaper than most of the 5 star hotel there. Not the mention we got early check in at 10 am and late check out at 4 pm, free breakfast, free evening food and drinks in the lounge. And my favorite is the stylish big bath tub in the living room... very unique, worth my money and perfect for couple/honeymoon.

The only "bad" thing is the swimming pool is rather small and not sophisticated, which we didn't try because of the rain. Some of the food were above average (love their crab cakes, their chocolate cake, snacks at the lounge were delicious!), but some of them was just average. Oh, but don't worry, on the lower level of the hotel there is a big convenient store that is so cheap, so you can even get more food/drink supplies from there.

Thanks to all the friendly staff there, from receptionist to lady at the cake shop, from the cleaning service to the elevator guy... you are amazing, our stay was memorable!!

Room Tip: The Premier Peranakan worth the price, better value!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marthiany
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear marthiany

Thank you for sharing your experience you had from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased you enjoyed our spacious Premier Peranakan Rooms with all the great add on benefits such as Peranakan Lounge access. As you rightly comment, the hotel is conveniently located just 15 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the city, so it really is the ideal spot to stay when in Singapore.

I look forward to your return visit, and be sure to contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg so I can be of assistance to you for your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here on the way and coming back from Penang. The service was great, from the shuttle bus, to the check in with Lu Yee, through to the breakfast staff ( special mention for Ivy) all members of staff were polite, professional and friendly, and made our stay a very enjoyable one.
We stayed in a club room, as we travelled with our 5 and 2 year old children. the large comfortable and clean rooms had ample space to fit in a stretcher bed and a cot besides the king size bed, as far as entertainment went, there is a wide range of TV stations to choose from, not that we watched much TV. The free wifi was welcome.
as far as the location goes, on the same floor as the lobby there are a few shops, an Italian restaurant and an open antique display , from there you can take the escalator to the mini supermarket downstairs.
On the fourth floor of the hotel is the restaurant, where a good breakfast with plenty of variety is served. on this same floor the swimming pool can also be accessed.
The fact that the hotel is not situated in the CBD is offset by the fact that there are free shuttle buses to Changi airport ( about a 10 minute ride) and to the MTR station. For those wanting a comfortable place to rest up for one or two nights before catching their connecting flight, this is a great option. We will definately stay here again, as the service here makes all the difference, the staff here could give a few lessons to staff in other hotels on how to treat guests.

Room Tip: if travelling with small children book a club room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Coralhopper
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Coralhopper

Thank you for providing such a wonderful review from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I proudly shared your feedback today with Lu Yee and Ivy, who were thrilled to of been personally recognised for their services provided to you and your family.

I trust your onward travels were safe, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back again soon to Village Hotel Katong.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Village hotel, Katong is a lovely 4 star property in the calm and quiet premises of Katong.. We had a lovely, peaceful stay in this place.. Every one right from the reception gals to the bell boys were good and helpful . The restaurant that offered us breakfast was indeed good. It's located in the 4th floor. The breakfast buffet seriously lacked any Indian food, we found this as a definite lacunae, as this place is home to so many people of Indian origin.We had requested for an early check in, and we were fortunate to get one, as the hotel was relatively crowded.
Overall, we enjoyed every moment we stayed there..
The only problem is that the hotel is a bit far away from the main city attractions, though it is close to Changi airport .
Also, the hotel is located in a small mall which also has some Indian restaurants ( Delhi 6 ) and also houses a decent supermarket.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear sreealy

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased you enjoyed the hotels service and the surrounding area of Katong. The hotel is conveniently positioned 15 minutes from the airport and city, allowing our guest the opportunity to live like a local and see a different part of Singapore a lot of tourist perhaps do not see.

I will take note on your comments for Indian cuisine on our buffet, and assure you we do provide variety of foods from all parts of the world as we have such a vast array of cultures and nationalities stay with us.

Do contact me directly for your next stay at brettwalker@fareast.com.sg so I can be of further assistance next time you are coming to Singapore.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel presents very well and it's actually a shame that a couple of things that were bad were really bad. As otherwise I'd rate this hotel highly.

1) Shuttle bus never showed for scheduled departure from airport. They come once an hour, so a missed route is a big deal. There were no apologies, even though I'd called ahead to ensure that it was going at that hour. Staff at ground transport in the airport were very careless and didn't seem to care.

2) Cut bottom of foot on glass in room twice. I have no glass and had not unpacked my bag which simply means that the room wasn't properly cleaned before I arrived. I kindly asked the cleaners if they could please vacuum (they saw the glass and blood from my foot, it wasn't pretty) and they didn't seem to care, just saying yeah yeah. It came off as dismissive. Having said this the reception staff were lovely and apologetic about it and the Manager even made a point to meet with me, apologise and offer to pay for medical bills. The cuts weren't that severe, I wasn't too worried, as I'd managed to take the 2 shards of glass out of my foot. It's worth mentioning though.

3) The shuttle bus took about 11 minutes to go from the front door of the hotel to the airport, driving at an insane speed. He flashed and drove up right behind people at speed and sat there threatening them until they moved over. Having traveled in developing countries I've seen this driving type before when people are in a rush, but he did it throughout the whole trip. It was a really horrible experience and I had to get him to slow down. I would have paid for a taxi and would never hire this kind of driver. It's disappointing given that the hotel has clearly invested good money in its location, staff, amenities etc... This driver just makes it a really unnecessarily horrible experience. And as you will see from my reviews I've never been so negatively affected to have to ever write anything in the past.

All in all the hotel was good just a couple of sizeable set backs that made my stay less pleasant than it should have been.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Lou S

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback from your stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Allow me to apologise for the experience you encountered, and assure you this is in no way a representation of how we provide services to our guests.

I am pleased we were able to discuss with you the mishap in your room and able to extend assistance to you during your stay.

I am disappointed the shuttle bus service was not satisfactory, and assure you we take such matters very seriously and have since discussed your feedback with the company, requesting immediate action to ensure there is no reoccurance of this in the future.

I really do appreciate you providing your feedback to us which will enable us to ensure future experiences are to our high standards.

For your next booking, please do contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg so I can personally be of service to you.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Village Hotel Katong during Easter this year. We primarily booked this hotel due to the reviews on Trip Advisor as well as location near our friend's home and the airport. We had booked in to a King room with a crib and a roll away bed. The room was extremely small and there was no room to move once the additional beds were placed (I had spoken to the hotel prior to arrival and they assured me there would be plenty of space). The bathroom has a glass wall so you can hear and see everything that is going on inside the bathroom, not great at night when kids are trying to sleep. The air conditioning was extremely noisy and had to be switched off during the evening which made it very uncomfortable to sleep. We had one flooding issue with our shower, but that was resolved quite quickly. We ate at the restaurant's buffet for breakfast which was quite nice. We did however have some issues on check out as they did not honour their two for one buffet deal on a Sunday morning. They also tried to charge us for our children who were supposed to eat free. The pool is nice but quite isolated from the rest of the hotel.

Check in staff were nice and helpful, however check out was a bit abrupt.

We will probably stay somewhere else on our next visit to Singapore.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma1975

Dear Emma1975

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay at Village Hotel Katong.

Allow me to apologise that the room allocation was not to your requirements and that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us as you would of expected.

The hotel rooms are some of the largest in Singapore, starting from 30m2 for a Superior Room and up to 55m2 for our suites, creating space with comfort for all our guests. In situations that rooms are used for multiple guests, we would recommend our Family Room which is highly sort after and provides that extra space to spread out.

Needless to say, I value your feedback and trust this experience does not tarnish your overall view of Village Hotel Katong.

For your next booking, please to contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg so I can assure your next stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The rooms are nice and clean with stylish Singaporean decoration. The hotel doesnt locate near the MTR station, but they have shuttle bus to the near station and to the airport. There are a lot of good food in the district.There is a supermarket on the ground floor where u can find whatever u need. The hotel is worth for the money, I will stay in this hotel again next time.

Room Tip: We were a group of 7 ppl with 4 rooms, the reception said it was pretty full, so we have two rooms o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rainekuok

Dear Rainekuok

Thank you for sharing your review from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong with your family.

The hotel rooms are very large compared to our competitors, and having been recently refurbished, and very modern and clean for all our guests to enjoy.

For your future bookings, please feel free to contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Tried this hotel for a one night stopover in Singapore. I was very happy with the decision. It is clean and modern. The room was large and bright with good facilities. Price about right for this level of quality in Singapore. Staff were friendly and helpful although short handed at check out time resulting in a bit of a wait to check out. A bonus is that it is only 15 minutes from Changi Airport and provides a free airport shuttle service. And there is plenty of shopping and restaurants directly across the road. The East Coast seafood restaurants are not far away. I recommend this hotel if you are passing through Singapore and do not want to pay the high prices at the airport hotels or endure the long taxi ride and high prices of Orchard Road area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear fy66

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback from your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

I am pleased you enjoyed the hotels location and the local conveniences that provides a unique experience to travellers coming to Singapore.

On your next visit to Singapore, be sure to contact me directly on brettwalker@fareast.com.sg, so I can personally manage your booking.