“And now for something completely different”

SO Sofitel Singapore
Ranked #29 of 312 Hotels in Singapore
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“And now for something completely different”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is genuinely something different but needs some work yet.
Getting here by taxi is difficult, particularly at night, the access road to the main entrance is closed every evening so expect to carry your bags in through the bar entrance. Taxi drivers have not heard of it yet, one even told us that there are no hotels on Robinson Road, then drove off!

Check-in. Excellent, no problems, drink vouchers issued for my platinum le club status etc.
room upgrade? not sure about that.

The room, on the small side but ok and very well equipped.
Not convinced about having a ipad for controlling everything in the room, although there are switches for "normal" control most of these did not work.
Excellent bed, as usual in Accor hotels.
Room niggles. No bathrobes, TV fixed to wall at 90deg to the bed. Lack of places to hang towels in the bathroom. Basin tap turns off when moved to cold. Lack of hot water. Paper floor mats placed by the side of the bed are a slip hazard.

The bar and restaurant.
Asked for a Singapore beer, they don't keep any! offered an Australian beer, come on!
Loved the bar furniture and decor, great place for a drink.
Breakfast excellent.
Sound/noise. The sound system in the bar/reception/restaurant is terrible, thin tinny sound and a poor selection of tunes, they would do better to use the JBL speakers fitted that I guess are used when they have a DJ using the house decks.
Note to manager. Sound, lighting and video is my business, so I can recommend a music company to help if you are interested.
The noise of extractor fans etc. when sitting having breakfast near the kitchen is way too loud.

The service we found excellent, we had a late night flight and they provided us with a room at 7pm to have a shower and freshen up before our flight. Pity there was no hot water at all!

Okay, so I've picked holes in a few things but I know how difficult it can be getting a new venue up to speed. Keen staff and funky surroundings.
Would we stay here again? Yes but only if I could pick the room first, a good size and with the toilet in a separate room (as 232), rather than virtually in the bedroom (400)!

Room Tip: Robinson road side suffers from road noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SoTonyC, General Manager at SO Sofitel Singapore, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Nicholas S,

Thank you So much for staying at Sofitel So Singapore and for leaving such a detailed review. As a new hotel in Singapore, we appreciate the time taken to give your feedback in order for us to make the necessary improvements for exquisite experiences.

All the points highlighted especially the noise that you have highlighted will be taken into consideration and the team will work hard on fixing these matters. We are also working with Taxi companies to create more awareness on our location and will surely work on providing taxi cards to our guests prior to their arrivals. Rest assured that we are exerting much effort in constantly improving everything in the hotel.

Again, thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again soon at Sofitel So Singapore!
Tony Chisholm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Singapore been one of the few capital cities in which Sofitel is not present, this new hotel was long awaited. What to report? Urban attitude with fancy decoration, amazing lighted pictures above the beds for instance which you may want to lit, or not, and most important of all, an extremely courteous staff. On top of it the pleasure to discover an excellent female chef, trained at Jean-George's (Vongerichten of course) who led us, together with her Japanese invited chef, to the delicacies of Japanese fine cuisine... A welcome change in a city where the Raffles left aside, bore is often part of the experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Psayerfr,

Thank you So much for taking the time to leave your review of Sofitel So Singapore on Trip Advisor!

We are very happy to hear that the design, ambience and service of the hotel have been up to your expectations. Sofitel So Singapore is the city’s first luxury design boutique hotel and is much focused on bringing playful luxury to town, with a unique décor blending French elegance and Singapore chic. Our Ambassadors also set the standard of the hotel with their service from the heart. As the General Manager of the hotel, it is with pride that I will pass on your positive feedback on their hard work.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon at Sofitel So Singapore!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My girlfriends organised a hen's night for me at Sofitel So on 28 June. As this is a mini-party (no loud music pumping), my girlfriends booked the Club room. Below is what I like and did not like about the hotel:

What I like:
- Variety of breakfast options at buffet
- Room was quite technological-savvy with an iPad to control the lighting, etc.

What I did not like:
- Hotel offers you NO complimentary parking (parking is $40 for whole day)
- Parking is ridiculous! If you are staying there during the weekend, good luck driving in. The street for Lau Pa Sat is closed and the only way in to the parking area is to do an ILLEGAL right-turn in to an one-way street.
- Club room (suite) was small and other hotels can offer you a bigger space. Check out the really small window for a suite.
- The toilet drainage was NOT WORKING and the entire toilet was flooded!!!! I cannot understand this.
- The phone of the hotel is an iPhone, while this is impressive to some, I am unable to delete my call history! I was told that local calls are free, yet, despite this, I was unable to make a local call.
- Pool was extremely uninviting with a lousy view. All you can expect to see is being surrounded by office buildings (one is still undergoing construction at time of writing - 30 June 2014) and the choice of green pool tiles is very poor as the pool looks dirty as though it has moss!
- A few girlfriends came to the hotel room and we requested for a bucket of ice for our champagne and the manager delivering it to us told us that only two guests are allowed to sleep overnight. This was fair and reasonable as I am sure all hotels are practicing this and we told them that my guests would be leaving soon and only another female friend and I will end up sleeping together. However, a few hours later when we requested for additional water, TWO MANAGERS came up to conduct a spot-check on us. This was an extremely intimidating experience, especially it was only two of us left (they still didn't trust us) and the room had been quiet throughout with no one complaining about us. Did it really warrant TWO MANAGERS? Not typical staff... I am no kid here.
- When I stayed, the hotel has only been opened for one month but the windows were EXTREMELY DIRTY. Check out the cigarette butts and random rags left behind by the contractors (presumably). The hotel should at least do some checks at the most basic requirements.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SoTonyC, General Manager at SO Sofitel Singapore, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear mrandmrslau,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sofitel So Singapore. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to write us such detailed feedback and these are cruicial for us to constantly make improvements in the hotel.

We took note of all the point rasied and we are looking into the matter. As a hotel which is operational for only a few weeks, we acknowledge that there will be some teething problems but rest assure that we are exerting much effort in constantly improving everyting in the hotel to give our guests a much deserved, pleasant and luxurious stay.

Sofitel So Singapore is positioned as a chic city hotel located at the heart of the CBD. We offer a unique view of the city, when skyscrapers transform into cylinders of light at night, giving our rooftop an urban vibe. Our golden-tiled pool glisters vivdly at night and the green colour is a reflection of the surrounding buildings' glass façade.

We appreacite your contribution in pointing out things we need to improve in the coming days. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you a much better stay at Sofitel So Singapore.

So kind regards.
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3nights, and I must say "I love it !!!" Since I'm a platinum member of accor group member, so definitely they helped to upgrade me to better category, w/ bfast of course, and this boutique hotel is beautiful, in my opinion , this is the marriage of cultural of european parisian style and hip city hotel, so we will feel the yin and yang, the warmth welcome w/ a lil bit twisted of color and dynamic movement , love the fact that this hotel uses lots of white colors , and some bright colors, make it very vibrant and fresh, so it's classic, but doesnt feel old ... Some more I love the ceiling in the room, that's kinda new, the hotel puts (i guess) silky ethnic print fabric on the ceiling of the bed , and we can switch it on and off to see the pattern, this part I must say "magnifique" , the pool in the 6th floor was beautiful, the hotel keeps playing the music on the pool, and that's great, it's infinity pool w/ gold glossy tiles , kinda love the feeling there w/ the breeze and the music, the only problem was no attendant at all there, no phone, and no bar (not finished yet, i guess) , I mean... If the bar not finished yet , it's ok since the hotel only opened last month, but please put people there to fulfill guest's needs, or at least phone call , so we can call and ask smthng what we need to eat or drink , or towel ? ... Basically I love the hotel, the only problem was the hotel needs more staffs or at least staffs w/ 5 stars hotel standard, I'm not saying that all staffs are lack experiences, some are very good and impressed me too.... So, I think this hotel is worth to try, the location is not bad too, and i think the price at this moment is still under promotion, try and get a great experience w/ sofitel so ...

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Herman_wang,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sofitel So Singapore. We sincerely appreciate the positive review that you've shared on TripAdvisor. I am So glad that our unique blend of French elegance and Singapore chic have caught your eye! I'm sure that it's magnifique to fall asleep beneath our coupole.

I am also delighted to hear your kind words for our HI-SO pool. We took note of your feedback and we will look into it.

We hope to see you again at Sofitel So Singapore!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Amazing Hotel. Amazing Staff. Amazing Food. Super Amazing Room. SUPERDUPA Amazing Bath!!!
Yes it is pricey but we were more than happy.
The staff were exceptionally friendly. Especially Xavier & Simon!
No issues using the Accor card for discounts on food & drinks.
The meal we had was amazing! Flavours so intricate.
Breakfast Buffet was to die for! Our room rate also included a glass of Champagne.
This is the first Hotel I have stayed in where the Air Con actually worked!
Also the website photos actually looked like the rooms!

Dear Rosebuds63,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Sofitel So Singapore and for writing us such a positive review. I am delighted to know that the hotel's amenities and our ambassadors have given you an amazing experience at Sofitel So Singapore!

We look forward to seeing you again and providing you with another magnifique hotel experience!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a completely new hotel experience for me, and I stay in hotels nearly every week travelling for work. A completely new concept with lots of new technology, which took a few minutes to adjust to. The staff were excellent and very attentive. The bar is a must with high end brands of spirits which I had not heard of. The one downside is that as the hotel is new, not all the taxis drivers knew where to go, so if your new to Singapore then take a map.

Dear Colin L,

We sincerely appreciate the wonderful review shared at Tripadvisor. At Sofitel So Singapore, we put technology and design as part of our hotel's DNA. We are So glad that you took note of our effort to provide our guests with a brand new hotel experience.

Thank you for your kind compliment for our ambassadors and Xperience Bar.

We hope to see you again at sofitel So Singapore!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Let's start off with the good - the hotel is well located right next to Raffle MRT station. It is clean and the bed is great - but really these should be a given at its price range.

Now the bad. First off - there is no recognition of the Accor LeClub programme. As a Platinum member I am entitled to an upgrade when a room is available, a welcome gift and a free drink at Accor group hotels. I have had bad experiences with Accor LeClub before but expected their flagship Sofitel range to be good at honouring benefits. I even emailed the hotel management beforehand to confirm these (and was told they do honour Accor LeClub benefits). On arrival I was not offered an upgrade. When I inquired, I was told I had already been upgraded but when I actually reached my room it turned out that this was not true and I was in fact in the same class of room as I had booked. There was no welcome gift throughout my stay. But the worst kick in the teeth was the so-called free drinks voucher. The voucher clearly stated that I could have any free drink from their bar (no exceptions were listed). When I then went to order a whiskey I was denied use of the voucher which apparently is only valid for soft drinks and beer (this was NOT stated on the voucher). So I ordered a diet coke I didn't particularly want and used my voucher. I asked for all of this to be put on my room tab. When I checked out I found that I had been charged for my supposedly free diet coke. The receptionist had no idea what I was referring to when I raised the issue with her and as I was in a rush I just left and paid the bill.

The lack of attention to detail is also worrying for a boutique hotel. There was no bathrobe in the room (despite one of their supposed features being a unique Lagerfield designed bathrobe - which I just needed to get to the pool in) and it took 2 phone calls and 20 minutes for them to send up. They got my surname wrong (and it's only TWO letters) so I couldn't access their wifi. And they made up my room and threw away my Ziplock bag for liquids (not expensive - but just really inconvenient as I fly a lot) despite me putting up the do not disturb, do not make up room sign.

For the price they charge, I was very disappointed with the stay. Accor LeClub really need to up their game. Compared with SPG or Hhonors, they are years behind.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear CleanerPHD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Sofitel So Singapore. We sincerely apprecaite the constuctive feedbacks that you have provided. I am So glad to know that you have enjoyed the hotel's MyBed and the convenience in location that our hotel offers.

We took note of all your feedback and we are looking into the matter. As a hotel which is operational for only a few weeks, we acknowledge that there will be some teething problems but be reassured that we are exerting much effort in constantly improving everything in the hotel to give our guests a much deserved, pleasant and luxurious stay.

We apprecaite your contribution in pointing out thnigs we need to improve in the coming days. We hope you will give us another chance to be able to provide you a much better stay at Sofitel So Singapore.